VAG DPF App

Speedman

Hi,

Thought this might interest those who are interested in or concerned about the state of their DPF - it is a free app from the Play Store, not sure if an ios version is also available. The two screen shots I have taken from my mobile are before and after a regen. This apps need an OBD II reader to work.

Screenshot_20170105-152938.png

Screenshot_20170110-182355.png

• 2 weeks later...

Following on from what Speedman has said above.  I love this app.  Take a look:-

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.applagapp.vagdpf&hl=en_GB

It needs an ELM327 bluetooth adapter to go in the obd port.  Speedmans screenshots are of the free version.  Theres lots more diagnostic info on the paid version which can be seen in the above link.

I want to know more about the DPF on my car in order for me to be able to tackle any issues before they arise.  Also to do my best to prevent any problems and understand whats going on with my DPF.

I dont think there is anything better than this for my needs right now.

• 1 month later...

I was using Torque Pro but the information for DPF wouldn't populate. I found this app today and tried the free version (as recommended) to make sure it was compatible. I have the same screenshot as above and I think it's a useful tool to know when my car is due a regen and just to keep a track on what level the soot is at. Although I may purchase the full version as mine keeps timing out (disconnecting) after about 10 seconds.

Does anyone know what soot (g) level triggers the regen? Going by what I found in mine it must be about 20g for the 1.6TDI. 

I have the skoda Octavia 1.6tdi cayc engine 2009 fl. 

my regen triggers at between 20-21g of soot, and when the percentage hits 88%.

From the documents I've seen, it's roughly:

- 0-18g, passive regen

- 18-30g, active regen

- 30-40g, DPF light and regen drive by customer

- 40-45g, more warning lights and service regen

- 45g+, new DPF needed

• Like 1

just noticed from those screenshots on the free version, theres no percentage reading.  

Im sure the full version is only a few quid.  For the price ive found it one of the most helpful aps ever.

You can also tell how much oil ash is in the dpf.  Thats what the soot gets turned into during a regen when it burns off.  The oil ash is an indicator of the lifespan of the DPF.  It fills up but only very slowly.

The author even has another app to identify and test the ELM327 adapter you have connected to your car.  Mine sometimes disconnects after being on for a minute or so but I can just reach under the dash and activate it again and it then stays on for good.

Once the car has done a regeneration I know I can just ignore it for another 300 or so miles then I will keep an eye on it and take it for a run when it hits 88% and job done again.

Edited by Redfab

I bought the full version and it's great. My car was sitting around the 20-22g level the past couple of days and the active regen kicked in. But because of short journeys it didn't get any better. This morning en route to work the DPF warning light came on so I found a dual carriageway and sat at 60mph in 4th gear (2100-2200 rpm) and the soot started clearing at a rate of up to 1700mg/min. Really handy to know what the rate of soot removal is so as to cater my driving style for best results. I think the DPF in/out temperatures were around 500+ celcius.

The thing I don't understand is that when the soot level hit around 5.5 and the light went off, the temperature dropped over the next few miles to about 170-200 degrees C. I was still in 4th gear 2100rpm and 60mph and the active soot reading was around +25mg. Obviously as it was no longer an active regen, the ecu had stopped over fuelling and possibly some other things it does. But..... how on a daily journey would my car ever carry out a passive regen. What conditions would be needed to passively regen?

1 hour ago, cmcm789 said:

How on a daily journey would my car ever carry out a passive regen. What conditions would be needed to passively regen?

A while back I logged a few things around DPF regeneration for a few journeys and if I remember correctly, my CR140 would passively regen at normal motorway speeds in 6th.

My active regenerations finish around 17% and when the soot level is 4-5g. 

Temps then go back to normal despite same driving conditions. 

I don't see may passive regens at all. Even in optimum driving conditions for one. 

I managed to note a few times it started a passive regen but this was uphill so engine was under more of a load. Temps only got to 350ish and it started but was very slow. Only burnt a few g of soot before he road levelled off and temps dropped which stopped the regen. 

It has surprised me as i as expected more passive than active. 

I believe that passive regen occurs when exhaust temperatures are between 350-500'C (looking at VW SSP) which matches the observation from @Redfab.

Found an old graph I posted showing the measured soot dropping once the DPF was above about 300'C even though the calculated soot was still increasing. It was over a few days driving which is why the EGT drops to 0'C.

DPF.jpg.62f4663503d02a98fef82c7d1eede015.jpg

• Like 1

I have a vgate icar 2. Disconnects temporarily but once reconnected stays on. 

Can be had for £10-20 if I remember. 

Recommended as one

of the better budget ones by the app author. 

If if it gives me problems in the future I will probably go for the obdlink lx. 

They are about £50 I think. 

theres loads about. Loads of Chinese ones too. 

Just needs to be an Elm327 Bluetooth capable one. 

There's wifi and Bluetooth ones.

Has to be Bluetooth. 

I will try to dig out the link for where I got mine when I get the chance. 

Which one did you get?

May be that the app doesnt talk to The yetis engine. 

Theres a link to the discussion page from the google store. You can speak to the developer direct. May be worth letting him know the results for whatever engine the yeti has.

From what I gather he's just a regular guy who's developing this app on his own. May appreciate the feedback.  Language is a bit of an issue as he's Italian. 

I don't think my engine was introduced till a short time ago on an update.  

How do you find it with the Octavia 3?

It does say in the blurb that the Yeti engine isn't supported, so that's not really an issue but it would've been nice if it was. As for the Octavia it worked fairly well (once I'd told the handsfree to stop interrupting the pairing sequence for the Bluetooth adapter), and reported 7g of soot mass. I'm just using the free version so I didn't have too much to play with and I was just on the drive.

Been using this app with my mk3 octavia vrs for a few months now works fine could do with getting a smaller elm327 with a power switch so i can leave it plugged in but so many fake ones that wont work are about.

Mike

Rustynuts. Yours must have not long done a regen if it's showing 7%. Can't link to my adapter but I got it from eobdtool.co.uk. 

Black and orange vgate icar2 Bluetooth.

Mike. I leave mine plugged in all the time. Just has a soft button on to turn Bluetooth on when I need it.  Occasionally times out and turns it's Bluetooth off. 

Also powers off when I turn the engine off all the time. 

On 07/04/2017 at 10:05, cmcm789 said:

But..... how on a daily journey would my car ever carry out a passive regen. What conditions would be needed to passively regen?

IMO passive regeneration is a bit like the Loch Ness Monster.

People talk about it and claim it happens but in reality we don't know if it happens or not without getting the DPF really hot and seeing it on a VCDS log. I believe if you are really giving the old girl a good blast with some moderate to hard acceleration (like when I'm late for work on a Sunday) you may possibly eventually get the DPF hot enough to passively burn off some soot, but apart from that I'm not convinced it ever happens under what I would call 'normal' driving

10 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

IMO passive regeneration is a bit like the Loch Ness Monster.

People talk about it and claim it happens but in reality we don't know if it happens or not without getting the DPF really hot and seeing it on a VCDS log. I believe if you are really giving the old girl a good blast with some moderate to hard acceleration (like when I'm late for work on a Sunday) you may possibly eventually get the DPF hot enough to passively burn off some soot, but apart from that I'm not convinced it ever happens under what I would call 'normal' driving

I totally agree with this after what I've discovered using the app.

Not what I expected. 

I've also learnt the active regens are more often than I expected and so far it's quite a reliable system.

Just does it's thing in it's own time. 

The one i have is quite long similar to last one rustynuts posted so it points down by the pedals on the octavia and is easy to kick out and the lights stay on when the ignition is off. Been using the dpf app since beginning of dec 16 never seen a passive regen or seen the soot levels drop from a journey as i have never got it up to regen temps 600/700c. But the system seems to work fine when it kicks in to do a active regen at about 24% soot taking it down to 4/5%.

600/700c is when it starts doing an active regen not seen a passive so no idea if the temp is lower.

Mike

Edited by Mike97