Overheat dash warning - 2014 vrs CR

outside temperature: about 8 deg C

Car parked overnight in the garage (last used yesterday at 1800).

Drove car through town, in some slow queuing traffic for a few traffic lights, and some 20-30mph from my house over to the Isle of Portland (about 5 miles).  Drove up Fortuneswell Hill, and just as I reached the top (Portland Heights Hotel) the dash pinged up "Overheat! Stop" (or similar), and the temperature gauge was about halfway between 90 and 130.  The drive from my house to the bottom of the hill is about 5 miles, and to the top about about 1 more mile.  The hill climb was completed in 3rd gear ranging from about 20-30mph (with no stopping) (driving mode: N)

Once on the top of the hill, the road gently dropped (I'd planned on pulling in the garage a few hundred yards down the road), but then the temperature gauge dropped back to 90 and all was seemingly good.

I had the bonnet open last night to top up the windscreen wash solution, and didn't notice anything else amiss (but wasn't specially looking either).

Can I put this down to the stat was closed, and only opened late - maybe towards the top of the hill and the rad couldn't cool the water quicker enough?  I normally have a 120 mile round trip to work (heading in the opposite direction), leaving earlier in the morning, so no queuing traffic and the hill climb out of Weymouth is completed at about 50-60mph instead so there a if a good flow of air.

Dealer is going to look at it under warranty - provisionally booked on Monday 13th Feb.

Now my question is: shall I ask for the cambelt to be done at the same time (guess I'll have to pay for the parts and probably some labour?)

Car is a 14plate with about 64k on the clock - not sure what the interval is on the cambelt?  I have a feeling it is 5years/120k miles.

On Wednesday, February 01, 2017 at 14:24, mbames said:

Dealer is going to look at it under warranty - provisionally booked on Monday 13th Feb.

Now my question is: shall I ask for the cambelt to be done at the same time (guess I'll have to pay for the parts and probably some labour?)

Car is a 14plate with about 64k on the clock - not sure what the interval is on the cambelt?  I have a feeling it is 5years/120k miles.

I think you maybe out of time on the warranty at 64k on the clock. However, do mention to your dealer that it's a known issue. 

They asked the mileage when I booked it in & said the investigation would be done under warranty.  Now I could say I had clocked up 4-5k between me calling them and them actually having a suitable workshop slot & loan car available.... ;-)

12 hours ago, mbames said:

They asked the mileage when I booked it in & said the investigation would be done under warranty.  Now I could say I had clocked up 4-5k between me calling them and them actually having a suitable workshop slot & loan car available.... ;-)

True if you quoted the mileage below 60k :-) Still it is a known issue so likely hood is they may have looked at the cars history as well. 

The main problem with an engine overheating is faulty water pump, ive had problems when my water temp was around 100°C, Ive replaced my water pump and the main problem was that water pump shutter was jamming, so when the pumps shutter was jammed in a closed position there was very low water flow to cool down the engine properly. Ive made a video of faulty water pump, you can see it jamming, Ive got my new water pump for maybe 3-4 months (20k kms) and its jamming again :( mk3 vrs tdi here.

Heres the video ) https://sendvid.com/6w58kf0u

Edited by safire

"Simply Clever" - lets take an important part of the cooling system and bugger about with it :D

Although it is nice when the does warm up quicker, less keen when it keeps beeping at me though!!

Right, but why not build that into the stat housing rather than the pump and just reduce the flow rate to the radiator?

Perhaps put some opening and closing baffles on the air intake to block airflow over the radiator if when you start letting any water into the thing before it's up to temperature?

Edited by cheezemonkhai

2 hours ago, donny1972 said:

Mine must be jammed open as my car takes ages to heat up. Oh well hopefully I won't suffer from overheating.

Mine used to take for ever to heat up, then one morning it must have decided to move, and jammed in the "thermo-nuclear meltdown position".  Since then it has warmed up much quicker!

Spoke to dealer about doing a cambelt change at the same time, but they said "we might not remove the cambelt, we just slacken it off.... when doing the inspection".  Apparently they will phone me on the day of the work and if they change the pump they will then decide how much I need to pay for the cambelt kit and labour.  It almost feels like I might end up paying for the labour time for replacing the water pump!  If that is the case, I'll let them just change the pump and then shell out for the cambelt when it is due (5yrs/140,000 miles they say).

3 hours ago, donny1972 said:

If the car has 64k on clock you may as well get the whole lot done.

That was my initial feeling, but it depends on what price they quote. If they want to charge me the full labour and parts cost, then I'll wait a bit rather than changing it only a 1/2 (distance) / 3/5 (age) otherwise I'll basically be paying for warranty labour on the pump replacement.

Ouch.

Well they have taken the pump out and concluded it is sticking, but as I am over the warranty miles about about 4k (was 2k when I booked it in), Skoda are only prepared to pay 50%, so now I am getting stung with a £247 bill for replacing the pump :-(

Add in the cost of the cambelt kit at £197 that is making today quite expensive, plus the loan car they gave me is a CityGo with only half an engine and no washer fluid in it - as I found out to my horror when tootling along the A303 earlier. :sweat:

So the car's under 3 years old? Is the warranty mileage limit 60k? Has the car been serviced and maintained by that dealer?

No washer fluid in the courtesy car is quite poor - did you bring that up with them?

I'd be pushing them a bit harder for more of a contribution. As it's a known common fault you could argue that you have a right to have it repaired FOC under the sale of goods act.

Car is a 2014 plate, and I believe it has a full dealer service history I've only owned it for about 6 months, but it was a Lease car, so I'd doubt it didn't have a full dealer history.

I'll bring up the washer fluid issue with the courtesy car when I go back later tonight.

Dealer say they have spoken to Skoda UK about it and best that Skoda will offer if 50% on the pump & labour.  Dealer says while it is an issue, it isn't considered by Skoda to be a recall and thus I'm stuck at the mercy of Skoda UK - and how much they want to ruin their reputation.  First time I have had a car with a warranty and Skoda screw me over.

Seems a bit rubbish that the water pump has a service interval which is half that of the cambelt due to their tinkering.... ;-0

I think you need to talk to Skoda UK direct, and mention your rights under the Consumer Rights Act, and point them to the threads on here, as it is clear that the water pump is a manufacturing defect and is an item that you would expect to last more than 3 years. Just because the warranty has expired doesn't mean that the manufacturer isn't fully liable for the repair. 

Also involve your credit card if you used it to purchase all or part of your car, as they are jointly liable.

Dealer has just phoned, apparently after they assured me they had all the necessary parts in (given it was booked in 2 weeks ago), they don't so I'm stuck with a citygo for a few more days.  Will chase up Skoda UK and see what they have to say.

Curious, phoned Skoda UK, they have said they can't issue any gestures of goodwill (as of 1st Jan this year), and that it all needs to come from the dealer.  When questioned they said they have no record of a warranty call for my car for today, but when pressed further Charlotte admitted she had no access to the Warranty call logs - which is an internal team for which I am not allowed to speak to.

It seems that Skoda UK think their cars are likely to fall apart after 60k miles and have virtually no interest in happy customers.

Feels like I am just going to get given the run-around on this, but I'll dedicate tomorrow morning to chasing both the dealer and the Skoda UK.

Edited by mbames

Don't let them take you for a fool, stick to your guns & as people have mentioned above in previous posts, take a print out of some posts from here etc & a print out your rights under the Consumer Rights Act.

Especially as you are prepared to have the cambelt done too as this still puts money in there pocket, just a bit strange that skoda uk did not know anything about your warranty claim? either the dealer has not contacted skoda uk & trying a fast one in making you think that they have or are they just charging you the full price anyway?

Make sure to tell them everything mentioned here in this thread etc but don't cave in to there 1st offer.

I hope you get a better result than what there offering you at the moment.

Hey Matt, as it's a design fault, you should get them to pay the lot.

Also look at VW (And other companies websites):

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/fixed-price-servicing

http://www.simpsonsskoda.co.uk/service-offers/fixed-price-service-offers/

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

So fixed price servicing, cambelt and waterpump = £484/£485.

You're being asked to pay a total of £444, which means there is a contribution of just £40 then.
That would be what roughly the same as the saving of not having to pay for a new waterpump, such as by getting the waterpump for free when they send the old one back under warranty.

Me thinks your dealer doth take the pi$$

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Sadly the car is now in with the dealer.  I was going to check out the pricing in the morning and then resume battle with the dealer.

The figures I scribbled down were:

cost of water pump & labour [which I was expecting to fully covered by warranty]: £494

dealers/SUK "warranty" discount for water pump & labour (50%): £247.
cambelt kit: £197, which they said would be fitted for free due to the water pump (warranty) work.

Simpons Skoda: Cambelt, pump & labour: £485

So that implies the dealer price for changing just the water pump is more than of having a whole cambelt change which certainly sounds suspect, and given that Skoda claim to have no report of the warranty call (who knows if the customers team have access to warranty logs).  Either way both Skoda and the dealer aren't seemingly doing much to help themselves and just appear to be out to extract as much money as money and while destroying their reputation!

They did tell me the investigation would be covered under warranty even though they knew it was just over the 60k limit, but under the 3 year window.  I could ask them to put the car back together with my dodgy waterpump and return it to me with zero cost, and then have someone else do a cambelt, water pump and service for a lesser amount of money :D

Skoda = Simply Thieves.