Estate versus hatchback

Hi folks

Am i right in thinking that the floor area when the rear seats are in an Octy MkII hatch back is roughly the same as the estate version? The only difference being the volume lost by the rake of the A pillar on the hatch back? Photos of the two versions with the seats up looks remarkably similar. I have found some measurements online which suggest just under 6ft from the boot lid to the rear seats.

Be grateful for any info.:) 

I believe the floor area of the 2 is pretty much identical - The rubber boot liners are pretty identical as I bought an estate one, and it fits the hatch.

Certainly not 6ft from boot to back seats though. That would suggest I could lie down in my boot - I can't!

Not sure how correct this is.....

OcCRS_Tech_001_jpg.jpg

skoda-octavia-dimensions-side_2017011517

Edited by Captain Kirk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pw1969 said:

ooppps....meant 6ft to the back of the front seats with the rear ones down....thanks Captain.

That is about right, as I have slept in the back of mine (sorry, to clarify mine is the hatchback) with the seats down. Not too comfortable though as the seats don't fold flat!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

That is about right, as I have slept in the back of mine (sorry, to clarify mine is the hatchback) with the seats down. Not too comfortable though as the seats don't fold flat!

spot on

mmmm interesting......been looking at an estate strictly because of the amount of fishing gear i have to lug around  ......i'm guessing the estate seats don't fold flat completely either? might be a squeeze with the hatch back but might open my options a little.

In that case, the other advantage of either is the "ski" hatch in the back seat, so to put fishing rods in the boot, you don't have to sacrifice 2 out of the 3 seats, as they can slot straight through. Depending on how many rods you have of course, and how long they are.

I'm not sure if the estate seats fold flat on the mk2, someone else will need to help with that.

Take your fishing kit (as long as it doesn't smell too much and is clean) along to a dealer and see if they fit, I'm sure they will have had stranger requests!

• Like 1

Nope - they don't go completely flat. It was one of the things which the C class Merc did which kept it in the running when we were deciding between the S3 and a C220/250.

I would say they sit at an angle of about 20 degrees from absolutely flat (this is from memory - i'm still awaiting delivery)

Edited by Mindbomb
Scratch that - I missed it was a Mk2 you were discussing.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, David Heavey said:

I have owned both and the real extra space is minimal.

However the rear spring rate is higher for the Estate and the ride is worse and more crashy.

is "crashy" with all the gear i the back David or are we talking about when empty?

great info folks...i take a lot of gear with me as i fish for carp so space could be an issue.

From memory my MkII hatch rear seats could be folded flat or much flatter by tipping and moving the seat bases. Definitely got a single 6 foot bed inside. The MkIII hatch is bigger. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pw1969 said:

spot on

mmmm interesting......been looking at an estate strictly because of the amount of fishing gear i have to lug around  ......i'm guessing the estate seats don't fold flat completely either? might be a squeeze with the hatch back but might open my options a little.

My Mkii Estate had the variable floor and the seat bases also folded forwards. This produced a flat surface, though the seat bases meant pushing the drivers seat forward a little from my normal position

Edited by Isocrem
  • Like 1

I have the estate and with the false flooring fitted and the rear seat bases lifted up the total boot area is almost if totally flat, too be fair when I go on my own, leaving the rear seats up I slide the rod bag through the ski hatch put tackle box to one side and hold-all to the other in the boot and I can pull the load cover over the top, I haven't got one of the all singing and dancing boxes but a large box would fit, cover won't pull back though, skoda superb estate is even bigger if you can't fit your gear in one of those you need a van !! Back to the footprint of the estate and hatch they are as near as damn it the same, if you don't need stacks of room the later mk3 Fabia estate in petrol if you don't diesel are worth a look but the build quality won't be up there with the octy

the seat base can actually be removed completely on my estate unless you are using the car as a family transport for carp gear you could always leave the rear seats perm dowm

Edited by davidwhite
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, davidwhite said:

I have the estate and with the false flooring fitted and the rear seat bases lifted up the total boot area is almost if totally flat, too be fair when I go on my own, leaving the rear seats up I slide the rod bag through the ski hatch put tackle box to one side and hold-all to the other in the boot and I can pull the load cover over the top, I haven't got one of the all singing and dancing boxes but a large box would fit, cover won't pull back though, skoda superb estate is even bigger if you can't fit your gear in one of those you need a van !! Back to the footprint of the estate and hatch they are as near as damn it the same, if you don't need stacks of room the later mk3 Fabia estate in petrol if you don't diesel are worth a look but the build quality won't be up there with the octy

too much tackle for those alternative options.......i fill the floor space of a V70 all the time :) just dont always have to stack high.....which might allow a hatch... 

35 minutes ago, pw1969 said:

is "crashy" with all the gear i the back David or are we talking about when empty?

great info folks...i take a lot of gear with me as i fish for carp so space could be an issue.

More crashy when empty, get's better when loaded, but most Estates are not big load carriers, just big spaces available to use if needed.

The spring rates are higher for the Estate.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Heavey said:

More crashy when empty, get's better when loaded, but most Estates are not big load carriers, just big spaces available to use if needed.

The spring rates are higher for the Estate.

Hope this helps.

spot on thank you!

I've driven both. For little stuff there isn't a real difference. Estate comes handy when you wish to carry more stuff (believe me, you always have more than you think you have ;) ). Fishing gear is a thing that you need to think about. One carries only one rod and a little tacklebox (probably not your case). Some have lots of buckets, fish food, many rods, large boxes and much more.

By the way, one highly skilled fisherman thought that simple cars or vans aren't sufficient for his case. He bought a Chevrolet Suburban :) By the way, Latvian, not American.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jevpls said:

I've driven both. For little stuff there isn't a real difference. Estate comes handy when you wish to carry more stuff (believe me, you always have more than you think you have ;) ). Fishing gear is a thing that you need to think about. One carries only one rod and a little tacklebox (probably not your case). Some have lots of buckets, fish food, many rods, large boxes and much more.

By the way, one highly skilled fisherman thought that simple cars or vans aren't sufficient for his case. He bought a Chevrolet Suburban :) By the way, Latvian, not American.

i fall in the latter category....lots bags..buckets...rods ect :biggrin:

Well the estate takes all I need for a weeks fishing, which always includes several nights after carp and cats and more match style, clothing for us both, 2 chairs, bed chair bivvy, more toys than I ever use, barrow etc etc, 

I have stopped using a roof box after developing careful packing

We buy food on the way down to Devon, and that is a bit wobbly on top.

As for crashy comment after 9 years we fitted the B12 bilstein suspension and now you hardly know all the gear is in there.

If you carp fish have 12ft 2 piece rods, raise the squab, drop the seat back, not flat, but Rods will fit diagonally behind seats (my mates preference) or the seat squab acts as front rod rest and they  sit between driver and passenger. On top of the other gear

• Like 1

@Captain Kirk those images look to be for the MK3.

I've attached the FL MK2 versions but as you can see, most dimensions are identical obviously ignoring the rear seat head space. Mike has also switched the seats over from the hatch/estate suggesting they are very similar.

Generally speaking, I'd expect both to hold the same amount to up the parcel shelf/boot cover.

car dimentions.png

• Like 1

I reckon it will have to be an estate for me really based on what has been said and the above pics. The dimensions do appear to be much the same, its that back rake on the hatchback which i think in practice will probably over time get up my nose due to having to be extra careful when loading......i can imagine now either closing the hatch on my rods or breaking the boot screen. Its difficult as there a few hatches out there that look very nice....i am not adverse to using roof bars but again that is not always practical..........i think in practice it is going to have to be the estate....most of my driving is fishing related so that i guess has to rule my head when it comes to choosing. thanks for all your contributions....great stuff:cool:.....off to ask a couple of unrelated questions now....got my eye on a 4x4.

Many estates come with a flat variable floor which tends to be a marmite like debate on here. Personally, I love it and you can still put smaller things such as bottles of wine beneath the tailgate end of the flat floor - or your case it could be dirty clothes etc?

10 minutes ago, pikpilot said:

Many estates come with a flat variable floor which tends to be a marmite like debate on here. Personally, I love it and you can still put smaller things such as bottles of wine beneath the tailgate end of the flat floor - or your case it could be dirty clothes etc?

i take it you mean the slightly raised floor which brings the floor level to the lip height of the boot....not sure it would be of practical use to me but i dont think that would be a deciding factor as its minimal really.

1 hour ago, pw1969 said:

i take it you mean the slightly raised floor which brings the floor level to the lip height of the boot....not sure it would be of practical use to me but i dont think that would be a deciding factor as its minimal really.

No that is not the case, the variable floor actually raises the boot bed to be level with the rear seat backs when they are dropped with the rear seat bases tipped forward 

( I hope that make sense, maybe someone who is more computer literate can add photo )

the octavia 4x4 is held in high regard if ground clearance is a major factor

Edited by davidwhite

Just now, davidwhite said:

No that is not the case, the variable floor actually raises the boot bed to be level with the rear seat backs when they are dropped with the rear seat bases tipped forward 

( I hope that make sense, maybe someone who is more computer literate can add photo )

i think i get what you mean David...if it reduces the load space by any substantial amount i will take it into account :)