Rev/Speedo Dial Illumination

Hello All,

My recently purchased (in October 2016) 2010 Octavia has developed a fault with the dash lighting.

The Rev needle no longer lights up (on rare occasions it may light up for a few minuets while driving). I have noticed the Speedo needle sometimes flickers as well (which is a greater worry). I have seen discussions about having this fixed by various workshops, however, I am an electronics engineer of sorts and believe I will be able to tackle this job myself.

Here are the questions:

1) Does anyone have a part number (or specifications) for the SMD LED's I would need to replace?

2) I might as well replace all the LED's that are likely to fail (such as speedo), which ones are they and how many LED's are there in total?

I don't want to take the dash out, to then order the right parts, I would much rather have them ready for a quicker job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated from a first time owner of a Skoda!

Tom

---------------------------

Skoda Octavia MK2 2010

Face Lift

1.9 TDI - BXE

Rev LED Out.jpg

I don't think it's the LED's that fail but it's actually the regulator for them. I haven't got first hand experience to confirm unfortunately.

On the maxidot cluster I have apart here, it's 16 LED's which look to be about 3mmx4mm so probably a 3528.

- 4 for the speed/rpm dial

- 2 for the speed/rpm needle

- 1 for the temp/fuel dial

- 1 for the temp/fuel needle

its an led problem, very very common. numerous posts on here. ive had mine replaced(by cartronix at waterlooville.), as have many others. not sure how many you need, but dash removal is a 5 minute job. if youre going to do this yourself it would make an interesting feature!. they replaced all mine in 1/2 hour.

steve

Thanks,

If I do end up doing this then I will take some photos and write it up for the benefit of others.

You say that dash removal is so simple, then maybe I should just get on with it and see what I will find?

I have time off work next week, maybe I will find the time to do it then. In the mean time, if anyone has anymore information on the original 2 questions then I would appreciate your input.

• Like 1

Hi Eddie,

That photo explains a lot. Now I know that I can definatly do it, and it looks like these are standard smd LEDs that can be purchased from Rapid in Colchester.

Thanks for that.

Its interesting that you say bridging one LED made the other one work. My initial worry was that if both LEDs died at the same time,it could have been the LED regulator/driver. However this now seems like a simple LED replacement.

(I'm in Felixstowe)

There are 6x in total

they are wired like this

Speedo = 2x Leds wired in-line

Rev Counter = 2x Leds wired in-line

Fuel and Temperature = 2x Leds wired in-line

By bridging the faulty one allowed the others to work

The hardest bit is to remove the speedo needles

If you have any issues send me a PM

Edited by Eddie-NL

I have ordered smd led's from Rapid.

Just one other question before I go ahead with the repair on Monday.

If I disconect the negative terminal of the battery before I remove the Instrument Cluster, is there any reason why I should worry about the Immobilizer not working once I have finished the repair? Ive seen threads where people have had issues with their immobilizers once they removed the Instrument Cluster.

ive never bothered disconnecting the battery to be honest. youre only unplugging 1 jackplug. i believe the issue with the immobiliser is not to turn the ignition key on whilst the cluster is out.(or something very similiar along those lines. it has been mentioned on a previous post somewhere.)

Hello Everyone,

Spent a total of about an hours worth of work on the Octavia today. The Resault: see attached photo

I will create a detailed write-up, however should it be a continuation of this thread or placed somewhere else?

I was thinking perhaps a PDF with all the photos and instructions as a tutorial?

Thank you everyone for all your help.

20170213_170915.jpg

• Like 3

Well done on the fix. I like some step instructions and photos (like your hosted photo) in the thread but a pdf also works and means you can download locally. Photos seem to disappear if removed from hosting source after a while, so maybe the pdf is better. Others may feel more strongly either way. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, Dario0308 said:

Hello,

TomB59could you send photo or PDF or some video abour replacement speed dial illumination?

I need replace in my skoda octavia mk2 2011.

Please help me.

Best regards

The guide can be found here: