Budget Tyres

Granite66

In the Mohawk thread you said 205/45 R 17,  are you going 215/40 R17 now?

http://kouki.co.uk/utilites/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

Some 215's do not always have more tread on the road the 205's different brands can vary, compare the sizes side by side, some have more rim protection than others.

Like a Pirelli Zero Nero 205/40 R 17 has less tread on the road than a Dunlop Sport Maxx 205/40 R 17 and the Pirelli a stiffer sidewall 

which is why Skoda put them on under warranty when failing to fix 'Pulling to the left', because alignment was crap.

15 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

In the Mohawk thread you said 205/45 R 17,  are you going 215/40 R17 now?

http://kouki.co.uk/utilites/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

Some 215's do not always have more tread on the road the 205's different brands can vary, compare the sizes side by side, some have more rim protection than others.

Like a Pirelli Zero Nero 205/40 R 17 has less tread on the road than a Dunlop Sport Maxx 205/40 R 17 and the Pirelli a stiffer sidewall 

which is why Skoda put them on under warranty when failing to fix 'Pulling to the left', because alignment was crap.

Hi,

Hi,

I was looking at 215/40/17 but anything other than standard as in 205/40/17 seems more expensive.

Thanks for the info. re tread.

I don't know if you saw a Brisky tyre size calculator found HERE.

At the moment I have 2 x toyo and 2 x runway which came with the car.

Going to get new front tyres before the winter and get the garage to assess what are best (if any) for the rears.

Thanks for your inputs.

Best wishes,

John

N.B. Tyres seems like a highly emotive topic - I do not under estimate the importance of them but 'general' car drivers never 'gently' explore the limits of traction - I have/do.

Calculators count for nothing really other than an indication, i have sheds full of tyres and can measure actual sized from Continental, Pirelli, Maxxis, Goodride, Tigar, Yokohama, Bf Goodrich / Michelin.

This is 205/45 R 17's on the front and they were the identical size to the 215/40 R 17 that came off.

I have run 215/40 R 17's or 205/40 R17 on the fronts lots and i keep 205/40 R 17s on the rear.

DSCN1996.JPG

Edited by Awayoffski

I've used Barrums for several years with no issues in the wet or during the winter, miles ahead of the Chinese crap on my cars when I bought them, but they where the older tyres I've no experience of the newer ones on sale now ... I do have a pair of Rotello fitted to the rear which are a lot better than I expected and I'd honestly say better than the Falkens on the front 

So as this is an extremely interesting thread, I want to put my question here which might be considered a bit off-topic. My Roomster runs 195/55 R15 tyres which are ridiculusly overpriced compared to 195/60 R15 ones, at least in Greece where I live. Unfortunatelly 185/60 R15 are expensive too, while 205/45 R16 are overpriced plus I will need new rims.

My question is. What will happen if I fit 195/60 R15 which is a size not listed by Skoda for Roomster. I am well aware about the speedometer difference but as I am a family driver driving mostly between 50 on rural roads and 65 to 70 mph on highways, my concerns are about safety. And insurance companies are not interested (yet) on reporting such changes in the car, so no legal issues yet.

Skoda both in factory and Greek importer advised me to take a look at the fuel flap, as I am a total idiot. Idiots.

I am trying to get an answer from Michelin why there is such a vast price gap between these two dimensions and I have no response since August of 2016.

Keep in mind that vast price gaps exists to all range of brands from the most 'quality' ones to the cheapest 'uknown' ones.

Thanks in advance for your precious time.

Edited by stratosg

17 hours ago, stratosg said:

So as this is an extremely interesting thread, I want to put my question here which might be considered a bit off-topic. My Roomster runs 195/55 R15 tyres which are ridiculusly overpriced compared to 195/60 R15 ones, at least in Greece where I live. Unfortunatelly 185/60 R15 are expensive too, while 205/45 R16 are overpriced plus I will need new rims.

My question is. What will happen if I fit 195/60 R15 which is a size not listed by Skoda for Roomster. I am well aware about the speedometer difference but as I am a family driver driving mostly between 50 on rural roads and 65 to 70 mph on highways, my concerns are about safety. And insurance companies are not interested (yet) on reporting such changes in the car, so no legal issues yet.

Skoda both in factory and Greek importer advised me to take a look at the fuel flap, as I am a total idiot. Idiots.

I am trying to get an answer from Michelin why there is such a vast price gap between these two dimensions and I have no response since August of 2016.

Keep in mind that vast price gaps exists to all range of brands from the most 'quality' ones to the cheapest 'uknown' ones.

Thanks in advance for your precious time.

The Fabia 2 has a tyre sized 195/55/15" which has an rolling circumference of 1870.82mm + 2.5%= 1970.59mm. The following sizes are within 2.5%, not all are standard tyre sizes produced by all manufacturers!

185/65 R14 R/C = 1872.70mm

185/55 R15 R/C = 1836.26mm

185/60 R15 R/C = 1894.38mm

195/55 R15 R/C = 1870.82mm

205/50 R15 R/C = 1840.97mm

195/50 R16 R/C = 1889.35mm

215/45 R16 R/C = 1884.64mm

205/40 R16 R/C = 1791.96mm

215/35 R17 R/C = 1829.35mm

205/40 R17 R/C = 1871.76mm

215/40 R17 R/C = 1896.89mm

225/35 R17 R/C = 1851.34mm

215/30 R18 R/C = 1841.60mm

225/30 R18 R/C = 1860.45mm

235/30 R18 R/C = 1879.30mm

I hope this helps !

Source: 

Thank you very much for your fruitful reply. Indeed I am aware both of fabdavrv's topic and the tolerance between sizes. Yet my question stays as is, so do not be offended and let me rephrase it. 

Is there any Briskodian owner of Fabia II or Roomster that fitted 195/60 R15 tyres to his / her car and if yes were there any security, stability issues ? I am interested into fitting the specific size as it is cheaper than any other alternative.

Once again, many thanks to that great Skoda family members, spending their time on such question like mines. 

Not going to help anyone just now, but just to add some info for future searches:

My Fabia II is running happily on 215/45 17s.  This was the closest size in 17" for the pattern I wanted.  The irregular shape of the N/S/R wheel arch liner didn't help, but it was persuaded to conform with a heat gun. And before you all say anything, I know...but they work fine for me.

I'm going to try 2.35s on my new bike now.

• 3 weeks later...

The very worst tyres I ever had, were Bridgestones fitted to a 58 plate Mazda 3. Since I have had the Octavia, I use either Barum Bravuris or Avon ZV7, and they are always around £50 a tyre, fitted from Blackcircles. The size is 195 65 15. They have been good in all weather conditions, and the Avons seem to wear quite well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a Lupo Tdi for the daily hack and i run the cheapest tyres i can get at the time if buying, as the car is worth bugger all i fit the cheapest. I'm never fussy with brands for it as it really is just a shed but the last set of tyres i fitted last year to the front have done 20k now and still have a few thousand miles left in them.

The are 185/55/R14 and made by Rovelo. They cost £32 fitted per tyre. Not bad in the wet but really good in the dry for the money.

Hi,

I decided to buy two gt radial tyres at £70 (each) for 205 40 17 w rated.

Normally buy Hankook but they are around £15 per tyre more expensive.

I found a useful video tyre review online:

Edited by Guest
accuracy

usually by Michelin pilot sport 4's(~£115) however when stuck out in back country with a blowout I had no choice but to go for what they had in, I came across infinity and surprisingly it has exactly the same tread pattern and similar specs; however at £83 still not a very cheap tyre, its also on the back so not been able to test what it's really like.

personally the only thing that holds you to the road ....ill quite happily spend a bit more to get a decent tyre

13 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2016-GTU-Performance-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Oh dear...

GT right down there with Linglong and Westlake.

Did you watch the video?

On the same website I found this:

GT Radial / Giti might be the best tyre manufacturer you've never heard of. Their brand recognition is slowly growing in the UK, and while they might not be matching the premium brands for all round performance, their price / performance ratio should be of concern to manufacturers such as Toyo, Kumho and Nexen. I'm looking forward to trying more GT Radial products, and potentially some Giti tyres, in the not too distant future. A brand to watch

Well, it's true not all Chinese tyres are crap. I've tried a few. Austone and Goodride were OK for commuting, but you wouldn't put them in a performance car of any sort. The professional group test linked was pretty damning for all 3 Chinese tyres but It was a performance tyre test.

4 hours ago, Gissin said:

****e in the wet, I wouldn't touch them again - on the m1 in the rain they aquaplaned multiple times and I lost almost all feeling/steering. 

I think they have improved the product.

15 hours ago, john2017 said:

I think they have improved the product.

take some advice...unless you do not drive in the rain ...ever.   do not buy the GT's! I can assure you feeling like you have no control, steering or braking at 70  is a sure fire way to make you need to have your seats professionally cleaned :biggrin:.

''At the other end of the table, GTÜ writes that the “budget tyres” it evaluated “failed” the wet braking test. The inspection organisation opines that the Chinese-made GT Radial SportActive , Linglong Green-Max and Westlake Sport SA-37  represent “a real danger in the wet.” The result will come as a blow to GT Radial, considering both the significantly greater cost of the SportActive over the Linglong and Westlake'' http://www.tyrepress.com/2016/02/budget-tyres-declared-a-high-risk-in-gtu-summer-tyre-test/http://www.tyrepress.com/2016/02/budget-tyres-declared-a-high-risk-in-gtu-summer-tyre-test/ ( I would have put the 2017 test up, but theyre not included which I think speaks volumes)

gt's £70.24

conti £106

for a £30 saving is it worth almost half the wet point score vs eachother

Edited by Gissin

The £30 tyres i run on my tdi 75bhp shed of a Lupo work well. They handle all the power with ease, when the imaginary boost comes in they have no trouble keeping the wheels on the road. If you really rag it from the lights you don't even get any wheel spin. They are just brilliant :D

Edited by FlipFlops
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FlipFlops said:

The £30 tyres i run on my tdi 75bhp shed of a Lupo work well. They handle all the power with ease, when the imaginary boost comes in they have no trouble keeping the wheels on the road. If you really rag it from the lights you don't even get any wheel spin. They are just brilliant :D

Really good point!!!

My fabia has quite large tyres for such a small car - 205 x 40 x 17" so I think that helps - also doesn't have gti/ vrs levels of power.

I had a lupo 1.4 tdi and with a revo remap the thing was quite good fun - I remember the lupo gti only had about 20 bhp more - approx 125 bhp

39 minutes ago, john2017 said:

Really good point!!!

My fabia has quite large tyres for such a small car - 205 x 40 x 17" so I think that helps - also doesn't have gti/ vrs levels of power.

I had a lupo 1.4 tdi and with a revo remap the thing was quite good fun - I remember the lupo gti only had about 20 bhp more - approx 125 bhp

Yeah if you've got a bit of power then I think your always going to struggle a little bit with cheaper brands. I wouldn't put the ones on my lupo on other cars with power but for a car with literally bugger all poke, they are brilliant. They are good in the wet and good in the dry.

I've heard they are good fun mapped. I bet you surprised a few people, they are a bit of a sleeper. They look pants lol