Motorcycle Detailing

Chubbs

I wish mine only took 8 hours (it will be 3 weekends) and although I get into all the littles areas and the 104 spokes on my wheels I do not spend the time getting the paint to your standard, nice piece of work.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Danny 57 said:

I wish mine only took 8 hours (it will be 3 weekends) and although I get into all the littles areas and the 104 spokes on my wheels I do not spend the time getting the paint to your standard, nice piece of work.

Thanks for your complement! I guess there'll always be a difference in time when you look after your own versus when you detail for payment, there's always a choke point when it becomes financially non viable to spend any more significant time on any detail when seeking that extra 2% finish. Fortunately, the wheels on the V Rod had very few spokes.....wire wheels will always take longer! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Usually on a wheel mate ;):D:D 

12 hours ago, fluffmeister said:

104 spokes .....crikey, what's that on?

I did say two wheels you illiterate bunch:D, 64 on the rear and the rest on the front. Well I think that is the number I don't really count them when I am cleaning them.

Btw it is a Triumph America that I have had for 15 years when it was 6 months old (Sept 2001).

• Like 1

Handed the keys back today to the client of this beauty, KTM Adventure, following a full decon, safe wash & protection.

Protection came in the form of ACF50 on the hard to reach & exposed areas, as well as underseat, with the tank, plastics & screen receiving a ceramic coating.

Needless to say, the client found the finish "awesome" & he managed to get it home before the heavens opened!

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2371.JPG

2D09C2EC-C138-481A-BA23-818B59C6BF15.jpg

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_2363.JPG

Edited by Chubbs
  • Like 4

Chubbs, got to admit that's a good job on that Adventure. I know first hand they're not the easiest to clean and that is a first class job you've done.

I would post pics of mine but in its current state it would give you nightmares. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWARD said:

Chubbs, got to admit that's a good job on that Adventure. I know first hand they're not the easiest to clean and that is a first class job you've done.

I would post pics of mine but in its current state it would give you nightmares. 

Thanks!! That's very kind of you to recognise my hard work!! 

Why not post your photos anyway, would love to see them, plus I don't scare easily!! 

Best wishes 

David

Fantastic job on the KTM, they are not the easiest thing on earth to clean, and probably cleaner than when it left the crate, excellent work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fluffmeister said:

Fantastic job on the KTM, they are not the easiest thing on earth to clean, and probably cleaner than when it left the crate, excellent work.

Thanks, it's great to receive such feedback! I really love detailing the bikes, something very different to the norm. Given the intricacies, they're more satisfying to complete.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, DanGum said:

Hi Chubbs , what would you recommend for cleaning stainless exhaust headers? I want mine shiny again. Cheers, Dan 

A few seem to be recommending Harpic Power Plus. 

Google it. Seems mad but brings them up :D 

I'll be trying the Harpic Power Plus this weekend after I managed to drip some air filter oil onto the rear cylinder header which has now turned to a black tar like substance.

bit of advice for some detailing/cleaning.

the black plastics around the dash on my bike are looking really bad at the mo, with some going white.

is the heat gun and boiled linseed oil the best way to bring them back up, or is back to black the better way.

cheers

I've used peanut oil before on black plastics before. Just apply generously leave overnight and polish off the excess. Brought them up like new and didn't fade like Back to Black and more resistant to marking. No heat was used with the oil. 

Also for removing wax marks from plastics peanut butter works too. Again apply, leave for while and then remove. 

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DanGum said:

Hi Chubbs , what would you recommend for cleaning stainless exhaust headers? I want mine shiny again. Cheers, Dan 

Try metal polish on a MF cloth first. If that doesn't give you the desired finish then use the same polish on ultra fund steel wool, labelled as 0000.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWARD said:

I'll be trying the Harpic Power Plus this weekend after I managed to drip some air filter oil onto the rear cylinder header which has now turned to a black tar like substance.

A degreaser should suffice, less aggressive I would imagine. You don't want to damage or discolour any surfaces.

2 hours ago, Pessimal said:

bit of advice for some detailing/cleaning.

the black plastics around the dash on my bike are looking really bad at the mo, with some going white.

is the heat gun and boiled linseed oil the best way to bring them back up, or is back to black the better way.

cheers

Personally, I use Solution Finish but it ain't cheap. I'd go for a back to black alternative or if you have any tyre dressing try a smidge of that.

That was my first port of call using AG Engine Degreaser and whilst it removed a little it was pretty inaffective. It's not actually on the header itself but a heat shield sleeve which the KTM 1190 you did earlier might have had one fitted too on the rear cylinder.

• Like 1

It's horrible stuff, but I've used Wonder Wheels to do the same, and it's essentially like doing it with Harpic.

pop it in a lid or small container, have water handy, brush it on the header, rinse off almost immediately. The headers then look factory fresh.

ive also done it on my old XR 600 with Mr Muscle sink gel, brush on, few moments later rinse off, and minty fresh.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CWARD said:

That was my first port of call using AG Engine Degreaser and whilst it removed a little it was pretty inaffective. It's not actually on the header itself but a heat shield sleeve which the KTM 1190 you did earlier might have had one fitted too on the rear cylinder.

There seems to be a we'll know home brew remedy....if it works!! Let us know how you get on!