Do you benefit from driving too fast?

The Zee

6 hours ago, vrskeith said:

David, you and the Better half are safe, as you are DSG / Flappy paddle merchants- no danger of you two missing a gear, offsets "old forts" forgetfulness.

Keith, you are so kind............

Basically after 1/2 million miles each, we've gotten lazy.

When we need to overtake, it's back to "S" &  pedal to the metal! 

We still have to steer though............

DC

• Like 1

9 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

I miss-read that for 70 mph, then realized that merging at 40 mph is indeed stupid.............

DC

True, join my junction of the M3 at 8am and 40 mph is three times the prevailing traffic speed! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Isocrem said:

So, you get stupidly frustrated because you personally can't break the speed limit and travel maybe 3-6 mph faster? Man, that's high blood pressure territory. :blink:

Correct, we all travel a couple of mph's over the limit, anyone who says otherwise is lying or wants to come across as some sort of driving saint.

So when you come up across someone (usual driving something small and Japanese) doing 30 or 29, yes, yes i do get a little ****ed off.... as you just feel you're plodding along.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ally_bassman said:

Correct, we all travel a couple of mph's over the limit, anyone who says otherwise is lying or wants to come across as some sort of driving saint.

So when you come up across someone (usual driving something small and Japanese) doing 30 or 29, yes, yes i do get a little ****ed off.... as you just feel you're plodding along.

That's true. As long as you can accept that it's great fun to stick to the speed limit when you have an obviously annoyed person up your chuff :)  (not suggesting you do this), but it does seem to be the default position for many ****ed off drivers wanting to 'progress' in a 30 or 40 zone. If I want to get a speeding ticket, I'll get one on my own terms, not another drivers :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Ally_bassman said:

Certainly not one of those, no need to get any more stone chips or run the risk of smahing into the back of someone! I'm not justifying my behaviour....honest :tongueout:

One of the many reasons I cycle to work a few days a week.....

You are a braver Man than, I venturing out on a bike :)

1 hour ago, Ally_bassman said:

I get more aggravated by the morons who can't/won't increase their speed to 30 when we get out of 20 zone in all honesty. 

Biggest PITA i see today and every day. 

They go at 45-50 mph along country roads where you can not pass them, then they reach a village or town with a 30 mph or even 20 mph limit within the village and stay at around 40 mph and drive up some other drivers jacksy.

Worst case i have seen this morning was what looked like a new Audi Saloon (Personal Plate), Brake light the whole length of the roof line.

Up each and every cars backside out in the country and brake lights on as they were constantly braking and then sitting at traffic lights / road works foot on the brake.

Once on the Dual Carriageway 'she' was sitting at 65 mph in the outside lane.

Nomination for driver of the day / year.

The Blonde Lady around Perth in the Bentley Bentayga. (personal plate / colour on application....)

No worries about adhering to Speed Limits, giving way to vehicles from the right or indicating. ...

Cool!   

Someone else must know who she is.

Edited by Offski

38 minutes ago, Offski said:

Biggest PITA i see today and every day. 

They go at 45-50 mph along country roads where you can not pass them, then they reach a village or town with a 30 mph or even 20 mph limit within the village and stay at around 40 mph and drive up some other drivers jacksy.

Worst case i have seen this morning was what looked like a new Audi Saloon (Personal Plate), Brake light the whole length of the roof line.

Up each and every cars backside out in the country and brake lights on as they were constantly braking and then sitting at traffic lights / road works foot on the brake.

Once on the Dual Carriageway 'she' was sitting at 65 mph in the outside lane.

The Blonde Lady around Perth in the Bentley Bentayga. (personal plate / colour on application....)

No worries about adhering to Speed Limits, giving way to vehicles from the right or indicating. ...

Cool!   

George ,was this her challenging the Worlds Fastest Hot hatch(?)  in a 60 MPH speed limited area. Unfortunately no Drift mode in operation.

What happened to Steve Sutcliffe, was he jailed for speeding?

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Offski said:

Cool!   

Wasn't Viv Fisken was it?

She's got one. Ian was barrelling down North Street in it the other week. Ugliest thing I've seen on the road since the Ssangyong Rodius.

Brakes lights on at a stop. You'll see more of this. My F30 has start/stop but it only works if you leave the car in drive and hold your food on the brake. If I put the car in N start/stop doesn't work. I'm not too keen on that I have to say.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

I thought this one might be a Billionaire not a Millionaire.

ie Used to run Berry Busses, now Stagecoaches.  Might be wrong though.

PS

There is another Bentayaga near us.

New car for the elderly gentleman following up the 2 new Range Rover Vogues he has bought in the past couple of years.

An Ex Oil company employee.

Edited by Offski

On 15/02/2017 at 11:28, vrskeith said:

Why do people drive stupidly fast.

Define stupidly fast...

I generally drive quite relaxed. Not quite Sunday style, but reasonable, calm, chilled and not caring if I'm overtaken, while not presenting a danger to anyone... generally. 

If I want to go fast, I'll hop on the bike and break the speed limit while still in 1st gear!

On 2/15/2017 at 15:19, keystonedriving said:

I benefit from people driving too fast...........

I deliver speed awareness courses.........

I'll get my coat.......

Taxi!

10 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Wow that thing is really honking along. Is that a special record attempt rig or a regular TGV?

Slightly modified from a regular TGV - the main difference was bigger wheels and modifications to the pantograph to improve power transfer at speed. The trainset went back into regular service after the attempt.

29 minutes ago, chimaera said:

Slightly modified from a regular TGV - the main difference was bigger wheels and modifications to the pantograph to improve power transfer at speed. The trainset went back into regular service after the attempt.

I'd rather not be around if / when the panto snags the catenary cable.

23 minutes ago, chimaera said:

Erm..., it was 5 coaches shorter than the normal 2+8 TGV Duplex, & 2 of the 3 remaining trailer coaches were fitted with traction motors (developed for the forthcoming Alstom distributed power TGV replacement train) to supplement the uprated leading & training power cars 

So more power, much less weight & only one pantograph to decrease the leading power car's aerodynamic drag....... 

Not quite a slightly modified normal TGV......

DC

15 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

Erm..., it was 5 coaches shorter than the normal 2+8 TGV Duplex, & 2 of the 3 remaining trailer coaches were fitted with traction motors (developed for the forthcoming Alstom distributed power TGV replacement train) to supplement the uprated leading & training power cars 

So more power, much less weight & only one pantograph to decrease the leading power car's aerodynamic drag....... 

Not quite a slightly modified normal TGV......

DC

Probably the main reason for only one panto would have been that the OLE wouldn't recover its composure quickly enough for the second pan.  The arcing so caused would probably have illuminated most of France!

1 hour ago, keystonedriving said:

Probably the main reason for only one panto would have been that the OLE wouldn't recover its composure quickly enough for the second pan.  The arcing so caused would probably have illuminated most of France!

TGV's, when running under high voltage AC (25kV in France & the hi-speed lines in B & NL, 15kV in Germany & Switzerland alway use the trailing pantograph, there's a hi-voltage but lowish amperage busline connecting the two power-cars.

They can & do use 1.5 kV &/or 3kV DC to reach most of their termini which are on the older dc systems, & then they use a different panto, configured for the DC catenary, but since the busline can't deal

with the higher current draw (4K amps, ish) they raise the pans on both power cars.

The original Eurostars don't have the busline (Chunnel Regulations, I believe) they always use 2 pantos, either AC or the DC version, but since there are 18 coaches between each panto, the

standing wave in the contact wire issue isn't really a problem.

As for the special record-breaking set, the leading power-car had both pans removed to allow a stream-lined cover to be fitted, to reduce the drag.

I still stand by my original statement though, averaging 240 mph door to door isn't a real possibility, at least in Europe. 

The Chinese mag-lev trains are fast, but I've no data re. just how fast, terminal to terminal.

DC