New Yeti Outdoor 1.2 mpg

nugbuv

Three days after taking delivery of my new Yeti Outdoor 1.2 manual, I took it for a maiden voyage.

Having found out how to set the MaxDot, and discovering the cruise control, I recorded the following.

150 miles (about 130 on A roads and motorways) average speed 58mph (never going above 70) and 38 mpg.

I have just moved from a Nissan Note, where the same journey would work out about 48mpg.

I know there are variables and that car brochures dont give real world mph figures, but am worried that I have a car thats going to be costlier than I thought to run.

Can somebody please assure me that the Yeti mpg will improve once it has run in and perhaps, give me some indication as to how many miles I will need to do before that happens.

Edited by nugbuv

I have just got 39mpg out of my 1.2 tsi 105 dsg, mixed driving over 300 miles, 100 of which were motorway (no I'm not coughing to the average speed but it wasn't that fast) The Yeti has the aerodynamics of a Dutch barn compared to a Note though. I could get 50mpg out of our Roomster with the same drive train, mid 40's in the Yeti.

The best you are going to get is low 40's even if you drive like a saint, avoid traffic and keep your speed down. As P6bJohn says the Yeti has the aerodynamics of a barn (or brick), the same engine in an Octavia, Golf or Fabia will probably get you 10 MPG better than in the Yeti. Sorry but that's the price you pay for an upright SUV type vehicle.

Have fun and enjoy the new car.

3 days after delivery the Yeti is only starting to be 'Driven in / Run in',  New brakes with coatings and need running in, Green Tyres that should have the type pressures checked and set and the TPMS reset.

New drivetrain and everything fresh and tight and needing some miles on them to give a gentle start to life, 

and a vehicle that you need to get familiar with to see how economical it can be with your type of driving.

12 hours ago, nugbuv said:

Three days after taking delivery of my new Yeti Outdoor 1.2 manual, I took it for a maiden voyage.

Having found out how to set the MaxDot, and discovering the cruise control, I recorded the following.

150 miles (about 130 on A roads and motorways) average speed 58mph (never going above 70) and 38 mpg.

I have just moved from a Nissan Note, where the same journey would work out about 48mpg.

I know there are variables and that car brochures dont give real world mph figures, but am worried that I have a car thats going to be costlier than I thought to run.

Can somebody please assure me that the Yeti mpg will improve once it has run in and perhaps, give me some indication as to how many miles I will need to do before that happens.

My first Yeti (manual 1.2 TSi) returned low 30's / high 20's in mainly urban use. I saw 40 mpg in general motorway use, but, as previously mentioned, this rapidly falls above 65 mph.

The most economical Yeti I owned was a 110 2WD diesel, which averaged high 40's over 40k miles.

The petrol Yeti more than made up for its poor fuel economy by returning 90% of its new cost when traded in at 10k miles / 1 year old. The benefit of a 6 month wait for a new one. The days of strong residual values are long gone though.

I came to my first Yeti after 2 years in a Petrol Qashqai. The Yeti was far superior in every way and the marginally increased fuels costs become somewhat secondary to the improve "ownership experience".

Enjoy your new car.

12 hours ago, nugbuv said:

The idea of fuel economy improving as a new car "beds in" is an interesting one.

I certainly agree that some cars go / drive better than others, and think this is more than likely due to how they were driven from new. I tend to subscribe to the drive it hard / bed it in viewpoint. Most demonstrators are thrashed from cold and seem to suffer no ill effects.

As far as fuel economy goes I've tracked several newly purchased cars on Fuelly and have seen no difference in actual fuel economy as the car ages. I've covered 100k in 2 diesel Yeti's and can see seasonal variation (temperature / winter fuels), but no noticeable improvement in MPG as the engine / drivetrain "loosen up".

It is worth paying attention with a New 1.2 TSI before and after the first oil change if you do it at Fixed servicing at 9,400 / 372 days or less and you have the Factory filled oil changed to new 5w 30 FS LL (VW 504 00) or 5w 40 FS (VW 502 00) 

These hire cars and demonstrators that might never get a run in might well have had an oil change at 3-4,000 miles, or 3-4 months 

before being sold as used cars. ie Serviced before becoming an Approved Used Car.

Sometimes never ever had the dipstick removed and level checked before the Pre Sale as a Used car inspection.

Dirty diesels are a rather different thing, you just feed them suitable Oil / Air and Heavy oil and on they trundle.

The 1.2 TSI FWD Yeti are not that much heavier than other VW Group models with these engines, 

but the bhp the Yeti has is not exactly excessive and they are as sensitive to environment and weather, weight carried, 

tyres fitted and fuel used as in 95,97 or 99 ron as other 110ps 1.2TSI.

Edited by Offski

Both our Yeti 1.2TSi's average mid 30mpg with low 40's on a run and around 40mpg on a legal limit motorway run.

Our 1.2TSi Octavia adds 10mpg to those figures.

That's aerodynamics and weight for you.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Yeti's about 100kg heavier according to mass in service on the V5 so about the same as carrying a big fat bloke with you all the time. :)

And similar to the difference between the Fabia and Octavia.

From memory late on Friday night MIS on the V5's go.

Fabia 1.2TSI DSG 1100kg

Octavia 1.2 1200kg

Yeti 1.2 TSI DSG 1295kg

Edited by logiclee

I have had a 1.2 tsk DSG since beginning of October.

mpg varies a lot,

On a steady A road run have had 44mpg

on my commute about 38mpg in fair weather, but fell to 35mpg during the frosty January mornings

Driving in busy London rush hour varies 33-39mpg

High speed runs (75mph ish) seem to be around 37mpg, but is about 42mpg at 65mph which reflects its lack of aerodynamics 

• Like 1

If you want to improve MPG (and save considerable mechanical wear)there is an excellent additive you can put in to your engine and gearbox oil.  It is not one of the cowboy brands that are out there as magical cures.  It has been subject to strict laboratory tests by no less than SINTEF (look it up to see it is the main oil industry lab in Norway/N Europe) in order that the USA government would allow it to continue to advertise, by proving, what it claimed (large friction loss/very high film strength etc) The UK well known independent laboratories MIRAS have also confirmed the product claims.  Example from MIRAS tests -

cam lift loss (um)       = 39.6% reduction

cam weight loss (mg)  = 26.4% reduction

tappet Wt. loss (mg)  = 13.4% reduction

These figures illustrate that there is a considerable reduction in friction and hence the wearing away of metal.

It also has a zero corrosion rating (very important and not achieved by well known big name oils)

The product started life called Prolong by the inventors in the USA but once in UK the name has been changed to synionic (Synthetic ionic)to distance it from the sexual connotations that may be associated with it (mostly through web searches using "prolong" !).  It is an Anti Friction Metal Treatment (AFMT)

I use it in my classic cars and my Yeti.  My Reliant Scimitar V6 3 lit petrol showed an increase of 2mpg after a few hundred miles settling in period after first adding the product to the engine, gearbox with overdrive and rear axle. The dose paid for itself after some 700 miles in petrol saving alone so I was thereafter making savings and wear in the mechanicals was being greatly reduced.

My 2010 Yeti, petrol 1.2 Tsi S manual 6 speed (non DSG).  For the first 1,308 miles of my ownership over very varied roads and reasonably gentle driving and without the product and recording mileage and full to full fueling figures the calculations showed 38.2 mpg.

After adding the Synionic AFMT over a distance of 1,016 miles the calculations show 42.6mpg.

I have arranged a car club discount with the supplier and do the ordering to enable bulk supply to make further savings, all of which are passed on to members. (I make no money out of it just like passing on savings and good products to members).

I am in no way associated with the product/its inventors/importers/distributors other than being a very satisfied user.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Llanigraham. Attached is the Sintef.

here is the link to the patent.....4,844,825 is the item in the list at the bottom you need to click on....dont know where the golf club bit comes from!!!

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=8&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=4,844,825&OS=4,844,825&RS=4,844,825

Sintef Report.pdf

Edited by DensYeti

4 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

^^^ 

How much does it cost for the product for a petrol engine with a oil capacity of 3.6 litres doing 10,000 miles a year?

Anti Friction Metal Treatment (AFMT) concentrate.

(for comparison.....The last lot I got (Oct 2015) was only 3 lots of 5 lit, 4 X 400g grease tubes and delivery cost which worked out at :-

5 lit = £87.09

400g = £7.50

delivery split between all was £10.48 each

The total for 5 lit + 400g grease was therefore £105.08. (including VAT))

Latest price--

I have just taken a delivery for 5 people's orders which enabled a bulk buy cost saving for 25lit AFMT which worked out  per person:-

5 lit £64

grease £8.88

delivery £5.25    Total £78.13 (quite a saving over previous non bulk buy in 2015)

3.6 lit requires an initial dose @ 10% =  0.36lit (360ml) and then 5% dose for subsequent oil changes = 0.18lit (180ml). 

So at above bulk rate that is £6.28 for 10%dose then £3.14 thereafter for the 5% dose.

Remember put it in Gearbox and back axle also.

Buying it by the smaller amounts puts the price up lots!  So best to get several friends together and buy larger quantities as I have done with our Scimitar club  members.  Delivery would be to a single point for you to divide amongst yourselves. One person to co-ordinate and pay direct to the company.........I am happy to order so we get club discount. (logistics could get a bit difficult?).

It may seem a lot of money but it really does pay for itself in petrol saving alone without taking into account the saving in mechanical wear and the smoother running.  Very good for the turbos as it migrates towards heat unlike ordinary oil which migrates away from heat.

Ordinary oil around 7,000psi film strength.......This AFMT 200,000psi film strength.  Stays on metal surface so no dry metal/metal contact on start up if car has been standing a long time.

Dennis

Yes Slick50 was one of the bad ones.....believe they were fined lots of money in USA.

I too get less reward points with lower petrol cost but overall am way ahead in savings.  And the classics/vintage are not wearing out.