New Top Gear with Matt (Part Deux)

Chan110

I really enjoyed the series overall. They're steadily improving, hopefully now they know they're getting better reception with the three of them it'll carry on going that way. Some genuine funny bits and very watchable for me. 

I'm a bit of a Jay Kay fan so maybe a bit bias but I like the celeb bit much better when the person is a genuine car fan, I could listen to Jay all day talking about cars. 

I enjoyed tonight's a lot. There's still a part of me thinking "Go on - be good" rather than just watching it for what it is, but I laughed at the boat section. I agree that covering some cheaper cars in a group test occasionally would be good too. I think I enjoyed this more than the Grand Tour on balance.

thought the episode last night was really good, my son also enjoyed the previous episode. I think it's moving in the right direction and Matt seems to be more relaxed. I think it needs more time!

12 hours ago, Adam_ said:

Overall I feel disappointed with this series. The presenting is getting better but Chris Harris does my head in. There needs to be more episodes per series and more sub 30k cars. Too much emphasis on the unattainable. 

You mean, unattainiana like, say, a VW Golf GTi?

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

You mean, unattainiana like, say, a VW Golf GTi?

Are you suggesting a golf gti is an affordable car? Or that the finance to pay for 3 years rental is affordable?                 I certainly can't afford to buy ANY car new.

1 hour ago, Adam_ said:

Are you suggesting a golf gti is an affordable car? Or that the finance to pay for 3 years rental is affordable?                 I certainly can't afford to buy ANY car new.

So you want a car show with a global audience of millions to have a budget the same as you?

Shame the Fifth Gear production company never seized the opportunity to invest in what is a much better program IMO.  Presenters were more natural with an obvious rapport and 75% of them are more than capable drivers who articulate things well to us mere mortals.   I also think they have a good balance between high end exotica, 'everyday cars' and useful consumer info.

Even with TV ads, Fifth Gear used to cram much more into a 1hr slot (probs closer to 45 mins) without padding out with 'celebrity' ego massaging and scripted 'banter'.  

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

So you want a car show with a global audience of millions to have a budget the same as you?

I didn't say that though did I?

One or two cars that are 'Normal' would be nice. Even used cars would be nice!

4 hours ago, Adam_ said:

No, no and neither can I (well, maybe a Dacia Sandero?).

What I am saying is that pretty much no new "interesting car" actually meets your price criterion.

Edited by KenONeill
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

No, no and neither can I (well, maybe a Dacia Sandero?).

What I am saying is that pretty much no new "interesting car" actually meets your price criterion.

Super car after super car is boring as well though. But I get your point about new interesting cars. 

16 hours ago, Adam_ said:

Super car after super car is boring as well though. But I get your point about new interesting cars. 

Which is why I'm enjoying "Matt's obsession" with plant and equipment.

Not watched the last episode yet so not reading most comments.

For ordinary cars they have an opportunity with the "Extra Gear" show. If they want to keep the main show mainly for entertainment, silliness and supercars they could easily have a more consumer focused show with Extra Gear. Rory seems more suited to the everyday car reviews anyway.

I thought last week's show with Ross Noble was really good.

Edited by Aspman

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a year late for this one having spent 332 days overseas out of the last 2 years.

So I've just watched all of TG 23. (the Chris Evans series).  

For me it was better than The Grand Tour overall because:

1. It's almost completely about cars & TGT just has too much non car content. 

2. Every episode made me laugh out loud at some point. 

On the down side, Evans is just as annoying as Clarkson but for very different reasons...

Looking forward to watching all of TG 24 next week (without either of them ) rather more than watching the next TGT if I'm honest.

• Like 1

I think if you liked series 23 even a little bit you will enjoy series 24 with just Matt, Chris and Rory.

You could see their bond starting in that last series and it gets stronger through this latest one. Yeah they've still got a good bit to go but they're heading in the right direction I think.

Yeah, the Rallycross car just looked and sounded so slow, maybe it was the camera angles, but it just didn't feel action-packed.

It made me yearn for the years of watching Lianas and Kias get thrashed!

Evans' presenting style (shouty) was just as annoying as Clarkson's smug superiority.

I have never been a fan of either of them (since way back - even before they were on TV).

Edited by camelspyyder

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, moley said:

Ex Top Gear Present Richard Hammond has a huge crash in Switzerland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40234865

Electric super cars go up in flames too this shows again.........

Edited by lol-lol

16 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Electric super cars go up in flames too this shows again.........

Energy is energy. Petrol or battery. Put enough of it in one place and there is always the chance of it going bang

• 8 months later...

Thought I'd resurrect this since the new series has started.

IMHO, I think it's ok. I said it would take them 2-3 series to bed in and I think I was probably right. This is better, not brilliant (scripted studio stuff pretty cringe worthy), than their first outing on their own.

I've been watching GT as well and I think ep1 of TG was probably a little better than GT.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Thought I'd resurrect this since the new series has started.

IMHO, I think it's ok. I said it would take them 2-3 series to bed in and I think I was probably right. This is better, not brilliant (scripted studio stuff pretty cringe worthy), than their first outing on their own.

I've been watching GT as well and I think ep1 of TG was probably a little better than GT.

Agreed.  I like the input of Chris Harris, he knows his onions and can certainly drive.  MLB also brings a little 'character' to the show without it appearing to be overly scripted and forced.  CH and MLB also seem to have good on screen chemistry.  Erm...that 3rd one, Rory Reid...can't see the point of him unless it's just because they needed him to fit the 3 presenter format.   Often adds little or no value to the show.  

I'm also glad they've restricted the guest slot to 5-10 mins rather than having various exposure throughout the show. 

So far so good.