New Top Gear with Matt (Part Deux)

Chan110

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had a smile on my face most of the way through. I also had a sneaking suspicion that three would get on, you could see them starting to gel at the end of the previous series and leaving Evans out a bit.

And if we could find it within ourselves to have a bit of patience with it, I think these three will be very good together.:)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had a smile on my face most of the way through. I also had a sneaking suspicion that three would get on, you could see them starting to gel at the end of the previous series and leaving Evans out a bit.

And if we could find it within ourselves to have a bit of patience with it, I think these three will be very good together.:)

Agreed, it's only the 1st episode of another attempt at making people enjoy it again. Plenty of time for things to develop. It felt far more relaxed and chilled than S1. The VT bits were genuinely enjoyable and they all seemed to get on well. The studio bits will take longer to feel less forced I think, but it's clearly a work in progress, and progress does seem to be being made.

14 hours ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

Which did you think were staged?

The taxi running away....................Could see it coming a mile away.

I did think they were going to say the speedo was attached to the front wheels though, and give him a very low mileage achieved.

I think they missed a good laugh there.........

42 minutes ago, Tilt said:

The taxi running away....................Could see it coming a mile away.

I did think they were going to say the speedo was attached to the front wheels though, and give him a very low mileage achieved.

I think they missed a good laugh there.........

Likewise, but at least partly because I know someone that this actually happened to; left car up on bricks, in gear and running, then the bricks collapsed...

I watched it last night whilst over at a mates: all I can say I'm glad I don't have a TV license!

Maybe they're just settling down with out Evans but LeBlanc was dreadful, slow and irritating. Rory Reid is just completely lacking in personality, the only one even slightly watchable was Chris Harris and even he is trying too hard to be James May with the pedantic facts. 

They're still trying to copy old top gear and imho it doesn't work. 

Dreadful. I shall try and catch season 3, hopefully they've got rid of Matt LeBlanc by then. 

Edited by gullyg

1 hour ago, Donner said:

The show is not the same without the three amigos!

If you've seen TGT you'll know it's not the same with them either.

Saw Extra gear last night, it was ok too, but Matt was notable in his absence. Rory and Chris seem quite comfortable together. If the three of them can bond it'll make a difference. Early days yet. I always said it would takes years to move on from Clarkson et al.

• Like 1

Well, I enjoyed it.

Good to see it remain at Dunsfold. Refurbished studio and updated format works whilst retaining charm of original warehouse idea. 

Think MLeB is a good anchor, Harris can drive and Rory is settling in as a normal bloke.

Good stuff. Cudos to Harry Metcalfe for lending the Countach and Testarossa. 

Dave

• Like 1

On 3/10/2017 at 05:19, Wile7 said:

Good to see it remain at Dunsfold.

Not for too much longer as Waverley Council have approved the application to build 1800 homes on the site.

On 10/03/2017 at 05:19, Wile7 said:

Well, I enjoyed it.

Good to see it remain at Dunsfold. Refurbished studio and updated format works whilst retaining charm of original warehouse idea. 

Think MLeB is a good anchor, Harris can drive and Rory is settling in as a normal bloke.

Good stuff. Cudos to Harry Metcalfe for lending the Countach and Testarossa. 

Dave

Yeah, nice to see Harry's motors.

His pictures on Twitter of them being winched up are a bit hairy.:biggrin:

Thought last night was ok again. Might have even spotted some actual real banter.

I think it'll take another series yet but it'll work out ok. It's not really fair on them tbh how many other shows are subject to this level of scrutiny?

I do wonder if Matt will commit to the show long term. He's a pretty significant international figure and I'm sure he could be lured by a bigger wage then the beeb could offer him. It would be a shame if they had to keep replacing one of the three.

Chris Harris is excellent though, just the right mix of enthusiasm, knowledge and talent. He's quite self depreciating as well which helps.

Sticking my neck out a bit here but I think I prefer this new BBC Top Gear sans ginger boy to TGT. the new line up feels like it has potential to develop into something really good.  I think Clarkson, May and Hammond have started to believe their own hype and have almost become parodies of themselves on TGT. 

• Like 2

found last nights episode quite hard going, it's all a bit forced and predictable, the guest bit is a complete waste of time and should be cut. They should spend more time reviewing cars IMO

I've just re-watched episode 2 and I have to say I like it. You can see the relationship between the three of them starting to form now. Have a look at the first few series of the 2002 Top Gear and you'll see they're on the right track. 

TGT had its moments too, but much as I like Clarkson, May and Hammond, their best days as a trio are behind them. It's like the chemistry that made it work is fading. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RapidPaul said:

TGT had its moments too, but much as I like Clarkson, May and Hammond, their best days as a trio are behind them. It's like the chemistry that made it work is fading. 

It's like a car sitcom now. It's even listed under comedy on Amazon.