Roof bars

nugbuv

Have a browse through these until someone comes up with a definitive answer

Sorry the link did not work?

Edited by gumdrop

I have these on my Yeti.

Work fine no problems, even carried 8x4 sheets of Ply on them.

Used mostly for my Kayak.

When I tie down I go under Yeti rails as well.

M-Way 135cm 90kg Lockable Aluminium Car Roof Rack Rail Bars for Skoda Yeti 09-13
( 262284746459 ) e bay paid £37. for them.
p.jpg
Edited by Carlodiesel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Carlodiesel said:

I have these on my Yeti.

Work fine no problems, even carried 8x4 sheets of Ply on them.

Used mostly for my Kayak.

When I tie down I go under Yeti rails as well.

M-Way 135cm 90kg Lockable Aluminium Car Roof Rack Rail Bars for Skoda Yeti 09-13
( 262284746459 ) e bay paid £37. for them.
p.jpg

You get what you pay for. The official skoda roof bars are well worth the money. I bought ours 2nd hand from ebay for about £70. I could have got a brand new universal set of bars cheaper but I have never regretted getting the proper ones.

• Like 2

On 03/03/2017 at 16:05, 137699 said:

You get what you pay for. The official skoda roof bars are well worth the money. I bought ours 2nd hand from ebay for about £70. I could have got a brand new universal set of bars cheaper but I have never regretted getting the proper ones.

Agreed. But are the official Skoda bars, well worth the money at the Skoda dealer's price, or only when picked up second-hand for £70?

They're the best bars you can buy for the Yeti. How much they're worth to you is a matter for personal opinion and not one I can answer for you. I would never have paid the dealer price simply because I see no reason to when you can buy perfectly good 2nd hand ones on ebay for significantly less.

They're not the sort of part that you absolutely have to have brand new.

• Like 1

I use Thule Wingbars on mine. The bars and footpack fit both our Yeti and our Superb, and the plus point for me is they can be positioned fore/aft anywhere along the roof rails. This allows me to fine tune the position of my bike carrier and/or roof box exactly where I want it.

Most of the time the bars stay on the Yeti with my bike carrier, and they make no noise at all.

I went for 127cm bars, which mean if I carry 4ft wide sheets of ply/board etc on the roof, there is just enough bar sticking out to get my ratchet straps round securely.

As a new yeti owner and potential suberb combi owner, I am listening with interest.

The 'official' Yeti bars go between the bars and locate in the holes on the inside, right? In that case I guess they'd be to short for me to get all 4 bikes on, my current Vectra bars stick out a little over the bars and I *just* get all 4 racks on.

So I guess a Thule or similar rack that clamps around the bars themselves would allow me to use my existing rails and just get new foot packs (the vectra ones are weird as the 'rails' are solid) and would fit both the Yeti and a Superb Combi?

That's exactly the setup we have - a Yeti and a new Superb estate (combi).

The Thule combination of wingbar 969 and footpack 775 will fit both. 

I think Thule suggest a slightly shorter bar for one of the cars (can't remember which) but the 127cm wingbars are fine on both.

Edited by muddyboots
  • Like 1

I bought a relatively cheap clamp on extra long bar design off e-bay, together with fixings to carry 4 bikes.

Bit fiddly to put together, but total cost was under £150, and I have no concerns as to its security.

Used it many times and no damage to the roof bars either.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone fitted Thule 961 Wingbars with the 775 footing kit to their Yeti?

They're only 118cm rather than the 127cm recommended by Thule (969 wingbars) but they seem to provide enough width when placed between the roof rails.

I already have the 961's and was hoping to just get the footing kit to adapt them to the Yeti.  

I've got Whispbars which look great as they're flush to the rails, completely silent & don't affect economy at all. You can also mount them anywhere along the rails, you're not limited to the Skoda 'stud' positions, but be aware any bars like this mean with long loads on the roof, you can't open the hatch. Hence the standard Skoda bars are elevated to clear. Oh the price for aesthetics!

15 hours ago, Heathwood said:

Has anyone fitted Thule 961 Wingbars with the 775 footing kit to their Yeti?

They're only 118cm rather than the 127cm recommended by Thule (969 wingbars) but they seem to provide enough width when placed between the roof rails.

I already have the 961's and was hoping to just get the footing kit to adapt them to the Yeti.  

Should be fine. 

I'm going the other way and using the 135cm bar on mine so I have extra width for a roof box and bike racks. 

I have a relatively cheap Farah set (I think that's how it's spelt without visiting the garage eves).  £60 new on eBay a couple of years ago.  They do the job just fine to cart boat spars about either end of the sailing season and the odd trip to the timber merchant.  Once set up from the box, they are easy to fit and sort of lockable (a large hex key supplied to fit).  Clearly built to a price but more than up to the job for occasional use.  Can also be fitted anywhere along the length of the roof bar unlike the Skoda ones.

If you want them to stay on the car or will be using them frequently, I would consider forking out for the Skoda ones over other 'better' quality offerings.

Thule Wing bar Edge 9583 are fab on our Yeti. Silent, ultra low profile and they fit our Mitsubishi Shogun too!

Here's a photo of them supporting our Exodus 470 roof box, but we can also now put 4 bikes on the roof instead.

Great value at £75 delivered via EBay!

image.jpeg

21 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Do the Skoda ones create much noise or affect fuel consumption?

They look as if they are meant to fit and stay on the car.

Never noticed any increased noise form mine. Only used for shortish distances so don't know about consumption.

They are so quick and easy to get on and off there is no need to leave them on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

Never noticed any increased noise form mine. Only used for shortish distances so don't know about consumption.

They are so quick and easy to get on and off there is no need to leave them on.

Ditto on noise with the Thule 9583 and used mostly with roof box or bikes so can't comment on fuel consumption, but they're a little fiddly (a solid 10 minutes to secure) so we tend to fit and forget....

I never leave mine on the car. The only thing you need to leave on the car are the lug nuts that fit in the holes in the roof rails. Then the roof bars clip on and off in seconds - simplicity itself.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As above, genuine skoda bars work best for us, fully removable, and faster than most with the reassurance those bolts secure them sufficiently well and quickly and in exactly the correct position when refitting.  The main reason for my skoda bars (normally a fan of thule stuff) was the fact that the genuine skoda bars not only allow for the sunroof on my car, but they also help clear the boot lid in the raised position if you are fitting a roof box. My Halfords exodus 360 at nearly 2 m long does not foul.

Edited by sixer