Canton - noise cancellation

more on that here - note the active noise is separate from speed dependent volume

http://www.skoda.co.nz/models/hotspotdetail?HotspotName=R15+-+Canton+Sound+System+[A7]&Page=technology&WebID=66079c3d-1242-4318-be53-5e6089148452

I would guess this is a basic system with speed / engine rpm filters rather than an active noise cancellation system - if for no other reason that if it was the full works then the marketing guys would have ensured there was an on/off switch to show of its capabilities :)

Edited by FRSkoda

On ‎6‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 01:09, freelunch said:

There is nothing under my driver's seat. Under the passenger seat is a compartment with a door where I keep my manuals. In the manual, it shows a fire extinguisher in that space.

you should have an amp (digital signal processor) either under the driver's seat (LHD) or passenger seat (RHD).

3 hours ago, JR RS said:

you should have an amp (digital signal processor) either under the driver's seat (LHD) or passenger seat (RHD).

So that's what that is! I only found it a couple days ago when I slid the passenger seat all the way back to do some cleaning. So, under the compartment with the door that slides with the seat is a vented plastic "box" rather embedded in the floor.

2 hours ago, freelunch said:

So that's what that is! I only found it a couple days ago when I slid the passenger seat all the way back to do some cleaning. So, under the compartment with the door that slides with the seat is a vented plastic "box" rather embedded in the floor.

U learn new things everyday.

I don't have the storage compartment under my passenger seat - with electric & ventilated seats u don't get this as there is not enough room.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Canton's own website Skoda page 

If you look at the page linked above, on Canton's own website there is a video that definitely says "external noise cancellation".

My own experience is that the system is excellent on my MY18 Superb L&K, all be it that I'm still tuning it and it doesn't yet sound quite as good as the loaner car that I test drove - as said in a previous post, the speakers always need to run in. Even though I'm on 19" wheels the cabin noise is pretty low until I go onto that very rough asphalt where tyre noise obviously increases.

What isn't clear is whether the noise cancellation is on all the time or just when music is playing. Is it designed to quieten the cabin or make music easier to listen to I wonder. One thing is for certain, when I phone people they have been known to ask "what speed are you driving at" and then comment "I can't hear any background noise at all". I'd say electronically or not, the car is quieter than my old E-Class.

The was also mention of acoustic glass mentioned when the spec was upgraded last year but I've never seen it as an option. I therefore assume it's standard like the "voice enhancer" function that appears on the right of the Columbus volume bar on the new 9.2" screen. This might also explain why the car seems so refined perhaps?!

Screenshot_20180121-100708.jpg

thanks for sharing that link @Legfitter.

it is interesting to note that the unlike the Kodiaq and the Octavia, the Superb gets 2x Midrange plus 2x Bass-Midrange speakers.

the others only get 2x Bass-Midrange speakers.

also, the Superb's Woofers are rated at 100W each, while the Woofers in the Octavia and Kodiaq are rated at 45W each.

No problem. Also, I shared this link elsewhere:

Harman Canton Skoda Press Release

Notice it says "Already the third ŠKODA model with an audio system designed by HARMAN and CANTON, the Kodiaq offers a perfect sound experience for all passengers"

Therefore, the Superb and Octavia's Canton systems must have been designed in conjunction with Harman as well...strange that Skoda don't make more mention of this but it builds confidence for people not sure or not. For me it's easily as good as the BOSE system I had in my old A3. 

The definitive answer to this question was given in the other thread in this forum on Canton by Blahde2, taken straight from the engineering description manual.

Edited by xman

On 05/03/2017 at 11:10, Skoda Al Coda said:

Bit of a Luddite here, but couldn't it be tested by turning to a 'dead' input (e.g. Aux where nothing connected) & then turning unit on/off whilst volume control set, say, mid-way??

P.S: While I'm here, I've read references to it having (when in conjunction with Columbus) Dolby 5.1, but the general view is that this does nothing without a 5.1 source. Does it not have Dolby pro-logic to add a surround effect to 2-ch sources?

Hi Skoda Al Coda, just noticed a Dolby Pro-Logic II symbol on screen when listening to Amazon Prime Music via Bluetooth. So, yes, certainly on that input it does. Not sure about DAB radio etc?

• 3 months later...

Noted many tales of sound connoisseurs taking delivery of a brand new Octavia 3 (a pretty competent set of wheels in many respects) Elegance c/w Tech Pack and immediately spending serious money to upgrade the ‘Canton Premium Sound System’. That’s a bit of a contradiction, but – if sheer weight of decibels and sound purity result – there’s still the also reported issue of excessive cabin boom. [Margin note: 40% profile tyres, checked by swapping between quality, mainstream brands remain stubbornly harsh on this vehicle]

So … segue to Vehicle Noise Cancellation aka ‘Active’ aka ‘Dynamic’ that should come as part of the Canton kit. Has anyone tried to find evidence of the hardware, let alone verify if the cancellation tech works? Sure, there’s a black box under a front seat [amp] but no known access for plug-in diagnostics. Wouldn’t there normally be at least 2 sensing microphones – A-Pillars or thereabouts?

Puzzled … 

22 hours ago, RJ_NSWheels said:

Noted many tales of sound connoisseurs taking delivery of a brand new Octavia 3 (a pretty competent set of wheels in many respects) Elegance c/w Tech Pack and immediately spending serious money to upgrade the ‘Canton Premium Sound System’. That’s a bit of a contradiction, but – if sheer weight of decibels and sound purity result – there’s still the also reported issue of excessive cabin boom. [Margin note: 40% profile tyres, checked by swapping between quality, mainstream brands remain stubbornly harsh on this vehicle]

So … segue to Vehicle Noise Cancellation aka ‘Active’ aka ‘Dynamic’ that should come as part of the Canton kit. Has anyone tried to find evidence of the hardware, let alone verify if the cancellation tech works? Sure, there’s a black box under a front seat [amp] but no known access for plug-in diagnostics. Wouldn’t there normally be at least 2 sensing microphones – A-Pillars or thereabouts?

Puzzled … 

the Canton setup in the Octavia "sounds" different as it does to a Canton setup in the Superb.

from what I've read, more not so happy from the Octavia camp.

One thing I would say is that my Canton sounded pretty average compared to the car I'd test driven when I first got it. Now mine has got to about 4000 miles it's sounding the same! I think it sounds fantastic now so don't be too quick to swap bits out if it's a brand new car. The noise 'cancellation' can't work as well as say BOSE headphones but you just become aware that you can hear your music better than normal. Admittedly I'm in a Superb but I am on 19" alloys to be fair. 

• 3 years later...