Resolution of rattles

I've just booked my S3 Estate in at my local Skoda dealer to get it looked at under warranty. The car has decided to shed a piece of it's chrome door trim at the top of the rear o/s door. It also has the annoying glove box rattle and that dash resonance at around 1850-2000 rpm when cold. I know I'm not alone in these issues.

The glove box doesn't seem to rattle with a front passenger in the car. The dash only seems to vibrate when cold. Has anyone had any of these issues successfully resolved or am I hoping for too much?

I has the whole glovebox replaced as mine was rattling very bad, a quick video clip of it rattling was all the dealer (and SUK) needed to authorise its replacement.

The chrome trim is acknowledged as an issue and will be done as a matter of course when the car is booked in

I also had a buzz, which I thought came from the dash area, but on checking found that it was the ashtray that was causing the noise, took it out, and fitted a small piece of sticking plaster to underside, so that it made a tight fit when replaced, and buzz disappeared.

My 'passenger side' buzz turned out to be my cheap sunglasses in the overhead holder. A later rattle turned out to be the dog's lead that I'd put on the seat and drove me crazy for half an hour.

Just to be clear - I'm not suggesting that all rattles and buzzes are self-imposed, but it is quite amazing how the acoustics of the car can send you on a wild goose chase. It took several journeys for me to work out the sunglasses one - I could have sworn it was coming from the passenger door!

I had a buzzing noise between 1800 -2000 rpm whilst on the motorway gently accelerating or when going up a hill. Was more noticeable with ACC set. Turned out to be an intercooler pipe issue which is known about.

• Like 2

I temporarily fixed the trim myself by taking it off and repositioning it. I'll get it replaced as it got bent slightly when it first caught. Odd it took over a year to develop the fault? 

I'll see if I can video the glove box rattle to see if that will help the dealer and will also pull out the ash tray but I don't think it is that. Simon, I think you may be right with the pipe work as it only does it with the engine cold. 

On 3/8/2017 at 11:55, Simon-R said:

I had a buzzing noise between 1800 -2000 rpm whilst on the motorway gently accelerating or when going up a hill. Was more noticeable with ACC set. Turned out to be an intercooler pipe issue which is known about.

Where exactly is this in engine bay?

6 hours ago, toni8b said:

Where exactly is this in engine bay?

I had a buzzing noise from behind the dash / bulkhead area. I am not sure where the inter-cooler pipes are but I think they fitted modified clips that secure the pipes. I believe that there is some technical info on this. 

I had an annoying rattle/creak from the area around the instrument binnacle. Mentioned it to dealer when I took it in for something else to be looked at. Got the old 'we have packed out what we can and it has now gone' answer. 5 minutes up the road and it was back. When I got home I got the tin of silicone spray out and sprayed it between the dash and binnacle. No more noise since!!!

Edited by Inoffski
  • Like 1

On 07/03/2017 at 22:48, CheshireBumpkin said:

My 'passenger side' buzz turned out to be my cheap sunglasses in the overhead holder. A later rattle turned out to be the dog's lead that I'd put on the seat and drove me crazy for half an hour.

Just to be clear - I'm not suggesting that all rattles and buzzes are self-imposed, but it is quite amazing how the acoustics of the car can send you on a wild goose chase. It took several journeys for me to work out the sunglasses one - I could have sworn it was coming from the passenger door!

My overhead rattle was sunglasses as the overhead compartment is not lined.. I therefore cut up my kids fuzzyfelts toy and lined the compartment with that which solved it..

Disclaimer :- I am not responsible for upsetting any children ... Haha !!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/03/2017 at 09:04, Inoffski said:

I had an annoying rattle/creak from the area around the instrument binnacle. Mentioned it to dealer when I took it in for something else to be looked at. Got the old 'we have packed out what we can and it has now gone' answer. 5 minutes up the road and it was back. When I got home I got the tin of silicone spray out and sprayed it between the dash and binnacle. No more noise since!!!

Hi, when you say 'instrument binnacle' am I right in thinking you're referring to the speedometer / rev counter area behind the steering wheel? My car is booked in this Friday to investigate a number of rattles and this is the most annoying! That whole instrument cluster seems to be the cheapest part of the car and rattles non-stop :(

Might get hold of some silicone spray if that helps then :D

9 minutes ago, drewellis said:

Hi, when you say 'instrument binnacle' am I right in thinking you're referring to the speedometer / rev counter area behind the steering wheel? My car is booked in this Friday to investigate a number of rattles and this is the most annoying! That whole instrument cluster seems to be the cheapest part of the car and rattles non-stop :(

Thats the one!! It was more of a creak than a rattle, and by playing around I could replicate the sound by pressing on black the plastic surround - particularly in the bottom left had corner

6 minutes ago, Inoffski said:

Thats the one!! It was more of a creak than a rattle, and by playing around I could replicate the sound by pressing on black the plastic surround - particularly in the bottom left had corner

Yes! This is the exact same issue I have! Yes it's worse in the left corner but also creaks if you press the clear plastic 'glass' or press down on the dashboard hump from above.

Do you know what sort of spray you used? I'll get some and try it :) 

These issues remind me of a TV advert VW had running a long time ago for the Golf. The car squeeked so the owner took it in and it turned out to be the passengers earring causing the noise! Fixed with a single drop of oil. Anyone remember that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drewellis said:

Yes! This is the exact same issue I have! Yes it's worse in the left corner but also creaks if you press the clear plastic 'glass' or press down on the dashboard hump from above.

It was just silicone spray by WD40 -  picked it up from Halfords

It has the built in straw applicator, just used that to spray around all the seams around the cluster

Edited by Inoffski
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Inoffski said:

It has the built in straw applicator, just used that to spray around all the seams around the cluster

Great, thanks for the info :) I will pick some up on my way home this evening

On 3/13/2017 at 09:04, Inoffski said:

2 hours ago, drewellis said:

2 hours ago, drewellis said:

1 hour ago, Inoffski said:

Mine does this too.  Only on rough roads though, or over a bump or 2.  

Will try the spray too.  

Thanks for the tip.

6 hours ago, Inoffski said:

Thanks again for the suggestion - I bought the silicone spray earlier and sprayed it carefully using the nozzle around the entire cluster then wiped up the excess with a cloth, and the creak has pretty much disappeared!

The route I use to the Shell garage has one section of really badly filled pot holes, where it usually creaked like hell. Tonight I went to fill up (it cost me NINETY POUNDS!) it creaked just a tiny bit over the worst part, and I can now hear something rattling gently within the dashboard but it's much more tolerable :)

I'll still mention it when it goes into the dealers on Friday due to this other rattle but at least now I can enjoy my car some more.

I've stored the silicone spray and a cloth under my boot floor so I'm armed with the stuff should another one appear! :tongueout:

10 hours ago, drewellis said:

Thanks again for the suggestion - I bought the silicone spray earlier and sprayed it carefully using the nozzle around the entire cluster then wiped up the excess with a cloth, and the creak has pretty much disappeared!

The route I use to the Shell garage has one section of really badly filled pot holes, where it usually creaked like hell. Tonight I went to fill up (it cost me NINETY POUNDS!) it creaked just a tiny bit over the worst part, and I can now hear something rattling gently within the dashboard but it's much more tolerable :)

I'll still mention it when it goes into the dealers on Friday due to this other rattle but at least now I can enjoy my car some more.

I've stored the silicone spray and a cloth under my boot floor so I'm armed with the stuff should another one appear! :tongueout:

Will try this at the weekend.

Thanks for the feedback

10 hours ago, drewellis said:

Glad to have helped!! Hope you get more joy at the dealers than I did originally.

On 3/29/2017 at 07:52, Inoffski said:

Glad to have helped!! Hope you get more joy at the dealers than I did originally.

Thanks also for the suggestion.

Sprayed silicon spray around the edge of the instrument cluster, very carefully - and the squeaks have all gone!   Cabin is now an even nicer place to be!

I also used it on the boot roller cover runners.  My boot cover is a bit stiff and doesn't "roll" very well.  Spraying silicon lubricant on the runners has helped.  Not perfect, but much better.

Dash squeaks may well come back but i bought a reasonably big can out of Halfords for £3.99 which will last forever.  Cheers again inoffski!

My car has a small but annoying rattle around the roof centre console control panel. Mine is a combi with panoramic sunroof so I don't have a sunglasses holder.

If a place my hand on it when driving it disappears,  it seems more pronounced when the roof is open on tilt mode also.

Anyone with panoramic roof ever notice this on their car?