Resolution of rattles

1 hour ago, SportlineBri said:

My car has a small but annoying rattle around the roof centre console control panel. Mine is a combi with panoramic sunroof so I don't have a sunglasses holder.

If a place my hand on it when driving it disappears,  it seems more pronounced when the roof is open on tilt mode also.

Anyone with panoramic roof ever notice this on their car? 

Try the silicon spray?

2 hours ago, SportlineBri said:

My car has a small but annoying rattle around the roof centre console control panel. Mine is a combi with panoramic sunroof so I don't have a sunglasses holder.

If a place my hand on it when driving it disappears,  it seems more pronounced when the roof is open on tilt mode also.

Anyone with panoramic roof ever notice this on their car? 

My saloon with sunroof has this issue. Dealer is taking a look at it shortly. 

Could you let me know how you get on with them and what their fix is? I could go back with mine but I'm afraid they could make it worse ..

I had a very intrusive creaking on the panoramic sunroof in my Superb II when I got it. Opening the sunroof and closing it again silenced it. I got it greased at the dealer during its service and I used some rubber treatment on the sunroof seals and the noise hasn't been back in heading for 2 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Update and WARNING - I applied a bit more silicone grease around my instrument cluster to get rid of the last bit of squeak left.

The instrument cluster is not a sealed unit, and a little bit dripped inside the cluster itself. It has dried up and completely gone now luckily but just warning you all as it would be awful to have liquid permanently stuck in there! 

Edited by drewellis
  • Like 1

I'm really ****ed off with this amount of crackles and rattles. I have several:

- When using the indicators and moving the steering wheel to one direction. At that moment it crackles once over the dashboard, pretty loud. Has anybody noticed this?

- Common and random rattles when driving on motorway at more than 100km/h. It sounds like a small rock impacted the glass.

- Rattles on passenger seat when no one is sitting.

- Wind noise at more than 80 km/h on driver side (RHT)

It's driving me crazy and I'm considering getting to the dealer, but I guess It will make no difference and they won't fix a thing...

Not had the steering one lol ! Mine has now started with the centre dash rattle.... Only happens when cold. I purchased my car so i'm in for the long haul.... To be honest it doesn't get to me any more. On a nice smooth road its whisper quiet. Our roads around here are shocking.... I do mean really, really bad. They would shake the #### out anything.

I did take out the 5 year warranty though so can have stuff fixed at my leisure. Still love the car and mine was one of the first 280's. Still nothing out their I would swap for. Had her filled to the brim for the first time a few weeks ago.

140 mile journey that I reccon would have taken me at least 2 trips in my old Scout.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update from me:

I haven't applied any more silicone grease since, and the instrument cluster rattle is basically gone. It comes back for a split second now and then over rough surfaces but it's so much better than before.

Today the car is in for a few things including a separate rattle, but typically the rattle didn't appear on the test drive so they aren't looking into it today :(

(I posted here about the other issues it's in for - wind noise and the fault with dash LED strip)

Edited by drewellis

Mine doesn't have such kind of rattle but it has instead some rattle/vibration on the accelerator pedal. This is quite noticeable on cold start and high speed. Does anyone have the same issue?

33 minutes ago, reindeer said:

Mine doesn't have such kind of rattle but it has instead some rattle/vibration on the accelerator pedal. This is quite noticeable on cold start and high speed. Does anyone have the same issue?

Is yours a diesel? I've read somewhere - I'm sure it was on this forum - that someone who worked in the factory reported that the diesels produce a hell of a lot of vibration through everything, lots more than the designers expected. Apparently they often get taken back to dealers for rattle issues :-(

10 hours ago, drewellis said:

Is yours a diesel? I've read somewhere - I'm sure it was on this forum - that someone who worked in the factory reported that the diesels produce a hell of a lot of vibration through everything, lots more than the designers expected. Apparently they often get taken back to dealers for rattle issues :-(

Yes, it's 150 TDI estate. It's very annoying having the foot on the pedal. I think that's the only significant vibration I've noticed so far and not sure if it is common in diesel cars. My car is 1 month old.

I've identified the dashboard "buzz" as being to do with the windscreen fan.  

Gave the windscreen fan a good blast with all other fans closed, put it on full for a good minute.  After that the buzz went away completely.  Came back ever so slightly a few days later, gave the fan a blast then away again.  Seems it's something in there that becomes a bit prone to slight vibration when not used on full.

Having the aircon on also helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I have few squeaks, creaks and rattles which are the only thing annoying me in an otherwise superb car (sorry... couldn't help myself).  

I the car really creaks a lot when first moving - particularly at either end of the temperature spectrums - on hot days (35+) and cold mornings (0-10) but will do it a little on moderate days too.  It is most noticeable pulling into a driveway or in similar situations.  Even though it annoys me a bit, I can live with it because it doesn't make those noises on the move. I actually pulled out all the airvents and sprayed them with silicone spray at one point and it made a HUGE difference but thats worn off now and its a pain to remove the vents to do it again.  I'm going to see if the dealer has a more permanent solution to it.

There is also one overhead by the rear vision mirror (not my sunnies since I have the sunroof and therefore lost that storage bin) which used to be my number one complaint until a new one has started up over the last week.  This one sounds like it is coming from over my head - somewhere at the back edge of the sunroof or near the rear overhead lights.  This one I find to be a special kind of torture to me.. no matter how hard i try to ignore it i find myself contorting my arm over my head to push in various spots to try and stop it.  The thing i find fascinating about it though is that it will make noise even when the car is just rolling at walking pace on a road which appears to be very smooth... I am surprised there is enough movement to make something rattle.  I thought I'd just wait until the car is due for its first service to get them investigated but now i'm thinking a special trip to the dealer is necessary to preserve whats left of my sanity..

5 hours ago, Enobar said:

I have few squeaks, creaks and rattles which are the only thing annoying me in an otherwise superb car (sorry... couldn't help myself).  

I the car really creaks a lot when first moving - particularly at either end of the temperature spectrums - on hot days (35+) and cold mornings (0-10) but will do it a little on moderate days too.  It is most noticeable pulling into a driveway or in similar situations.  Even though it annoys me a bit, I can live with it because it doesn't make those noises on the move. I actually pulled out all the airvents and sprayed them with silicone spray at one point and it made a HUGE difference but thats worn off now and its a pain to remove the vents to do it again.  I'm going to see if the dealer has a more permanent solution to it.

There is also one overhead by the rear vision mirror (not my sunnies since I have the sunroof and therefore lost that storage bin) which used to be my number one complaint until a new one has started up over the last week.  This one sounds like it is coming from over my head - somewhere at the back edge of the sunroof or near the rear overhead lights.  This one I find to be a special kind of torture to me.. no matter how hard i try to ignore it i find myself contorting my arm over my head to push in various spots to try and stop it.  The thing i find fascinating about it though is that it will make noise even when the car is just rolling at walking pace on a road which appears to be very smooth... I am surprised there is enough movement to make something rattle.  I thought I'd just wait until the car is due for its first service to get them investigated but now i'm thinking a special trip to the dealer is necessary to preserve whats left of my sanity..

I have this, got my son to sit in the back and listen for it, it comes from the 3rd brake light housing. I haven't got rid of it yet, may get the dealers to sort it instead of bodging it (still under warranty so why not) 

• Like 1

Great, so much better to have a starting point!

ive got the car booked into the dealer in a couple of weeks.  They seem ready to give it a proper go... they've reserved a loan car for 2x days for me in case they don't find it on day 1.

• 1 year later...
On 30/05/2017 at 13:43, Enobar said:

Great, so much better to have a starting point!

ive got the car booked into the dealer in a couple of weeks.  They seem ready to give it a proper go... they've reserved a loan car for 2x days for me in case they don't find it on day 1.

i was at the dealer last week to get my battery replaced under warranty and said about the rattle coming from the dash, he said its not covered under warranty as there is noting wrong with the car and the last superb he fixed for a rattle it cost £127!!! he also said suk know about the rattle issue but wont admit it due to the cost of fixing all the cars that rattle.

On 13/03/2017 at 09:04, Inoffski said:

I had an annoying rattle/creak from the area around the instrument binnacle. Mentioned it to dealer when I took it in for something else to be looked at. Got the old 'we have packed out what we can and it has now gone' answer. 5 minutes up the road and it was back. When I got home I got the tin of silicone spray out and sprayed it between the dash and binnacle. No more noise since!!!

Same issue in my Sportline - same fix, although applied with a flattened cotton bud.

Now in my new Superb and I'll try the same again.

52 minutes ago, Ashmount said:

Same issue in my Sportline - same fix, although applied with a flattened cotton bud.

Now in my new Superb and I'll try the same again.

I was never aware silicone spray's can fix rattles :O. How does that work? like between plastics or does the plastic it self gets softer? 

49 minutes ago, JackySi said:

I was never aware silicone spray's can fix rattles :O. How does that work? like between plastics or does the plastic it self gets softer? 

I used it between the instrument binnicale and the softer dash and it seemed to do the trick.  The plastic itself doesn't get softer.

Graphite spray works even better. 

How it works  and why , for me. it was a one time fix I do not know.

I got the tip time from another post on here (somewhere) about a year ago.

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 11:20, JackySi said:

Maybe rattle is the wrong word - I think the noise comes from 2 plastic surfaces that are clipped together tightly squeaking as the rub against each other. The silicon spray lubricates the plastic stopping the rubbing/squeaking noise 

Edited by Inoffski

After 6 months or so the majority of dealers will not entertain the majority of rattles. 

As some mentioned a lot of these cars rattle so bad and Skoda are aware and simply will not pay for the work required for every single complaint regarding rattles. 

Skoda even have the audacity to charge for attempting to fix rattles. 

I had a major rattle with the sunroof trim yet got nowhere with 2 dealers in order to resolve the problem. 

I fixed the problem myself. Ironically the dealer asked me what the fix was!! I declined the request to help them. 

• Haha 1

I fixed a lot of different rattles, but I still got some that I can't figure out =(. I'm unhappy with amount of rattles on this car. 

On 08/03/2017 at 06:04, Devonshiredave said:

I've just booked my S3 Estate in at my local Skoda dealer to get it looked at under warranty. The car has decided to shed a piece of it's chrome door trim at the top of the rear o/s door. It also has the annoying glove box rattle and that dash resonance at around 1850-2000 rpm when cold. I know I'm not alone in these issues.

The glove box doesn't seem to rattle with a front passenger in the car. The dash only seems to vibrate when cold. Has anyone had any of these issues successfully resolved or am I hoping for too much?

I had mine in the dealer a few months ago to remove the dash rattling noise, they took the dash apart and put it all back together, they checked each piece after it was in and before the next piece is going in. Now the rattle is gone. 

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive such an old topic but I thought it was better than to open a new one. My 2017 Superb estate also suffers from several creaks and rattles, namely the black plastic around the instrument clusters (sill try some silicone spray or some dampening material) and the armrest. I do have a third one that's the most annoying, since it buzzes quite often, even on good rods, and that comes from the light switch module. If I squeeze it, or around it, it goes away, so definitely the culprit. Anyone knows how to remove it for inspection? I think there's access from inside the little storage drawer just underneath it, but not much visibility... Though my car came with a 5 year warranty I think it only covers mechanical failures past the 2 or 3 year mark. Plus it's pointless to ask them to check noises, they must all be deaf at the local Skoda garage. My engine makes a very noticeable chirping noise (probably belt pretensioner, as I've seen in some posts) but they can't hear it. I got the mechanic to hear it once, (and record it!) was going to check it with Skoda and get back to me, but that's been forever now and no word. Also, the front suspension makes a lot of noise on stone roads (still popular in older town areas in portugal) and they can't hear it either. Neither my 20-year-old Opel nor the wife's Leaf make such noise, It's so infuriating!