Which engine?

The clicky clunk last movement of the accelerator pedal before it meets the carpet is the over-ride. One of the criticisms of O3 is the accelerator pedal & its fly by wires controls.

Basically, Eco Mode reduces the pedal movement by half ie. 50% pedal position equals 25% actual throttle. Normal Mode is as it should be & Sport Mode is the opposite of Eco ie. 50% pedal position equals 100% throttle.

As well as this proportional control, integral control is also use ie. a time delay before the full pedal positon is allowed to become actual throttle position.

The over-ride removes all the throttle control modules & essentially gives you WOT (wide open throttle)

50 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Thats because they have 16" wheels

I wouldn't  have  thought  the wheel  size  would  affect  emissions,  considering  the engines  are all the same  spec ,  and considering  when they are mot tested the cars are stationary

Edited by skippy41

3 hours ago, guitarman001 said:

Oh and I love cruise control. I can only imagine how good adaptive cruise control and dsg equipped cars are to drive..

Cruise is a godsend on a long journey! You will probably have noticed that you can change gears without having to reset it.

Since you have a manual the modes are really just fluff as all they do is adjust throttle response.

Find the mode you like and stick with it is all you have to do

1 hour ago, skippy41 said:

I wouldn't  have  thought  the wheel  size  would  affect  emissions, 

I'm no expert, but I believe that the biggest effect relates to the change in Cd. More to do with the width than the rim size. Of course, it only affects a borderline case like the Octavia, cars solidly within a band will not be moved by such small differences.

I also believe that it's done theoretically, they don't test every variant.

13 hours ago, Geek42 said:

I'm no expert, but I believe that the biggest effect relates to the change in Cd. More to do with the width than the rim size. Of course, it only affects a borderline case like the Octavia, cars solidly within a band will not be moved by such small differences.

I also believe that it's done theoretically, they don't test every variant.

I'm no expert either but there is a bit more to it than that.

All economy biased vehicles will run as skinny tyres as possible (think Prius or solar powered vehicles) because they lower rolling resistance.

Most of the official consumption test is conducted at low speeds where rolling resistance is more important than aerodynamic drag.

Another factor is that skinny tyres are lighter and in cycling folklore an ounce off the wheels is worth 4 ounces off the frame. I think that also holds true with cars and why racers spend big on quality lightweight components for wheels and brakes to reduce rotating mass.

• Like 1

52mpg on a full tank today into work, eco mode, sedate driving. 

Might try sport on the way back home but from what has been said, the modes only affect the throttle - there's no change in cylinder management or anything... so if I drive the say way, the modes shouldn't affect things too much.

Yesterday with lots of town driving, more like 40mpg.

Good link!

Ok so driving back in NORMAL mode I got 48mpg. I think there is more of an incline on the way back, might do that drive in eco another day.

Also tried the sport mode and woah, it is so powerful, really breathtaking. Think I prefer the smoother drive of eco mode, though.

I think the button on the rear view mirror is some dimming function incase people behind me have their full beams on. 

Haven't had train but think it has wiper assist.

Embarrassingly I'm not even sure what air con does as opposed to when that button is off. 

Apparently I've also got driver assist in terms of main beam which automatically dips if another car faces you. 

I think the side mirrors are heated but not sure how to turn that on/off.

Also discovered another two cubby holes! One near the usb stick slot and another up near the cabin light switches. 

Now scheduled to meet some bodyshop man next week, a few people have said the dent is obvious.

Edited by guitarman001
  • Like 1

Generally speaking consumption on a motorway is related to speed so to be getting ~50mpg on your run is about right if the journey time is about the same each time.

If you are getting variations then when you are looking at your trip consumption also look at your average speed and there should be a close correlation ie slower average speed equals better consumption.

The air conditioner in your model would be climate control type so even if it is left on in current British weather conditions it is unlikely to operate depending on temperature set to and outside temperatures.

In summer it will effect consumption on a hot day, possibly by up to 5mpg. Not a lot for the extra comfort though.

Think the wing mirror heaters are operated by pulling the mirror adjustment toggle out. I have never had to use them.

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun exploring the vehicle capabilities.

Edited by Gerrycan

15 hours ago, guitarman001 said:

Good link!

Ok so driving back in NORMAL mode I got 48mpg. I think there is more of an incline on the way back, might do that drive in eco another day.

Also tried the sport mode and woah, it is so powerful, really breathtaking. Think I prefer the smoother drive of eco mode, though.

I think the button on the rear view mirror is some dimming function incase people behind me have their full beams on. 

Haven't had train but think it has wiper assist.

Embarrassingly I'm not even sure what air con does as opposed to when that button is off. 

Apparently I've also got driver assist in terms of main beam which automatically dips if another car faces you. 

I think the side mirrors are heated but not sure how to turn that on/off.

Also discovered another two cubby holes! One near the usb stick slot and another up near the cabin light switches. 

Now scheduled to meet some bodyshop man next week, a few people have said the dent is obvious.

Yes the button on the mirror is the auto dimming, just leave it on, and it will auto dim at night when lights shine in it.

The wipers you leave on the first notch up, this is auto mode, and they will sort themselves out, but you can adjust the sensitivity on the little switch in top of the stalk.

The climate control, just press Auto and set the temp around 20-21, it will just do it all for you. Has a very small effect on fuel consumption, apart from on a very hot day when the aircon will have to come on. Even though the AC light is on, it only comes on when its needed. Also keeps the car dry during the damp winter months.

The heated mirrors, you just rotate the switch to the heating symbol, they aren't auto I afraid, you have to turn them on and off.

You also have auto lights, so just leave them on Auto also.

16 hours ago, glosrich said:

Yes the button on the mirror is the auto dimming, just leave it on, and it will auto dim at night when lights shine in it.

The wipers you leave on the first notch up, this is auto mode, and they will sort themselves out, but you can adjust the sensitivity on the little switch in top of the stalk.

The climate control, just press Auto and set the temp around 20-21, it will just do it all for you. Has a very small effect on fuel consumption, apart from on a very hot day when the aircon will have to come on. Even though the AC light is on, it only comes on when its needed. Also keeps the car dry during the damp winter months.

The heated mirrors, you just rotate the switch to the heating symbol, they aren't auto I afraid, you have to turn them on and off.

You also have auto lights, so just leave them on Auto also.

Mirror heater is at the 1 o'clock position on the control knob.

2 hours ago, guitarman001 said:

Thanks guys - thanks to you I figured out where the heated mirrors and auto wipers are.

Quick note.. on a sedate drive in today, at approx 60mph average on eco mode, I hit peak 61mpg!! Ended up 59.5mpg in the end. Wow!

Addictive isn't it :)

Seems when you allow an extra 5 minutes for the journey you get 5mpg better, set off two minutes late and get 10mpg worse.

I take it you have discovered this engine seems to offer virtually no engine braking so you can do an awful lot of 'free' zero consumption distance in a high gear, no throttle.

Great results, you must be a natural from operating the wah wah pedal

• Like 1

Haha yes - the wah wah! :D

WHat is enginer braking? I've definitely noticed I gain a lot when just coasting..!

It is definitely addictive trying to get that number up. 

To be honest, I don't think it's going any higher. Now it's whether I drive sedately for those diesel-like mpg gains or do my normal style which would give me more like 51-54mpg. 

One thing's for sure... a lot better than my 37mpg Focus!!

When you take your foot off the throttle and the car is in gear then you can feel the engine assisting the car to slow as the car's momentum turns the engine over.

that effect is quite marked on older petrol engines with higher pumping losses from old fashioned throttles.

I think you will get a better explanation from a quick google

Oh, that is very unfortunate.

Not every Octavia has this issue but it can occur right across all types of suspension, tyre size, specification and style (sedan or estate).

There is a huge thread on this topic:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294540-low-frequency-boom-in-cabin/

There does not seem to be just one issue involved so there is no just one cure, although there have been a few differing resolutions.

The pressure problem is debilitating for those who are sensitive and is usually associated with movement of the rear hatch over bumps, various fixes have been as simple as boot stop adjustments, boot stop replacements (an updated version was released but does not always solve the problem), or boot seal replacement.

If there is any warranty left then it is worth taking it to a dealer and see if they can offer anything.

There is also a 'rumble' problem, can be quite bad and I think that the two can get confused.

Lots of theories on the 'rumble' source and cause but nothing you can really point a finger at and say THAT is the problem. :(

I notice it when my tyre pressures get low (they are nearly 3 years old and have got porous and need regular topping to maintain 36psi), or it has higher than normal loads in the back and the tyre pressures have not been increased accordingly.

Don't really want to start another thread on the subject here.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1