Simply Clever? Hmmm....

I've just has the misfortune to have to change a brake bulb on my Octavia.  It proved the trickiest, longest such change on any car I've owned in the last ~30 years....

1. Wiggling out the light cluster was an exercise in "will I break it?" - didn't seem to want to come out.
  2. When it did, the cable behind was so tight and seemingly caught in the bodywork that undoing the connector was only just possible.  If my hands were larger...
  3. Replacement was a bit easier, as I kinda knew how it worked...but...
  4. I wanted to check that the dash warning warning light had indeed gone out before refitting the screws / trim etc.  The Maxidot will show nothing other than a "boot open" warning if the boot is indeed open.  Closing the boot with the cluster not yet fully secured was another "will i break anything?" time.

Anyone else find this a huge step backwards?  Or am I just getting old and grumpier?

Edited by iriches

Not sure if the law has changed, but it used to be that if you got pulled for a light out, and didn't have a spare bulb, plod could nick you. So I do carry spare bulbs, but good luck changing one, on a dark country road. I think these stupid designs could be a get out of jail free card. "Yes officer I do have a bulb, look, here you fit it and good luck."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike97 said:

Not done any bulbs on mine yet but have read the front indicator bulbs are bad to do.

According to Skoda it's a bumper off job, but aki78 has shown it can be done with the bumper on, but it isn't easy - AND you need a repair kit as you have to cut a section of the headlamp moulding away.

2 hours ago, MoggyTech said:

Not sure if the law has changed, but it used to be that if you got pulled for a light out, and didn't have a spare bulb, plod could nick you. 

This isn't the case, if they bothered to stop you and there was nothing else obviously wrong with the car you'd likely just get a "You've got a break light out, get that sorted tomorrow yeah?"

If PC Plod was in a really bad mood or if you have an attitude, fog lights on and have spent a grand on a sound system but neglected your break lights... fixed penalty notice after they've checked your car for other faults.

Cell space is at a premium these days with all the riff raff about!

When you eventually get the rear light cluster out of the car spread a dollop of Vaseline on the connecting 'pegs' before pushing the cluster back into the rubber grommets, makes removal in the future so much easier.

I read somewhere my dealer advertises that they will replace bulbs free of labour charge, I wonder if that would apply to front indicator bulbs? Somehow I doubt it......

How weird is that. I also changed a bulb today but found it quite easy . I Followed this

I was expecting it to be a lot harder to be fair took about 10 minutes total.

Edited by arnold
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, MoggyTech said:

Not sure if the law has changed, but it used to be that if you got pulled for a light out, and didn't have a spare bulb, plod could nick you. So I do carry spare bulbs, but good luck changing one, on a dark country road. I think these stupid designs could be a get out of jail free card. "Yes officer I do have a bulb, look, here you fit it and good luck."

You would be unlucky to be honest . You might  get a traffic offence report TOR as VDRS has now gone. 

8 hours ago, SWBoy said:

According to Skoda it's a bumper off job, but aki78 has shown it can be done with the bumper on, but it isn't easy - AND you need a repair kit as you have to cut a section of the headlamp moulding away.

It's actually fairly straightforward. A LOT less frustrating than taking off the bumper, and I've done both.

So many cars are getting more and more difficult.

Think Audi wanted £200 odd in labour alone  to replace headlight lamps on a A3 not including the cost of lamps!

My friend did it in about 2.5hrs after removing inner wheel arch clips/fixings and eventually dropping the whole front bumper assembly forward to access some screws and remove the headlight unit etc, ludicrous.

Sounds as bad as it was for Renaults of about 10 years ago, that's why Meganes and Scenics typically have lights out or lights blinking instead of indicators etc.

The Saab in comparison every bulb was ridiculously easy to get at.

The Celica mk7 however needed long fingers and tiny hands to get at as the pointy headlights were halfway up the bonnet (sounds stranger than it looks). I paid a few quid and let the poor bugger at Halfords get at it (which, fair play, he did after a while of trying to not swear).

Edited by WillM82

This is ridiculous! Does the error in dash go away after replacing the bulb?

I am also curious if you fit a new LED bulb that goes into FL version, talking about plate lights. Does it throw an error in dash?

17 minutes ago, Croat said:

This is ridiculous! Does the error in dash go away after replacing the bulb?

I am also curious if you fit a new LED bulb that goes into FL version, talking about plate lights. Does it throw an error in dash?

Yep, for sure. You'll need someone (with VCDS) to recode your car to accept the lower power LEDs.

No idea about the part number of the O3FL LED license plate lights but you can use the Rapid ones, they are inexpensive.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/9121495/

https://www.drive2.ru/l/6034752

Replacing the Missus' Megane headlight bulbs is hideous. You have to approach it from the wheel arch and your arm needs to bend in 8 different directions once inside to reach and replace the lamps blind. It doesn't help that it blows one or two indicator bulbs per year.

When I complained to Renault they replied that this was necessary to meet Euro NCAP crash testing cirteria. The car has never been crashed but the ****ing bulbs have been replaced in double-digits. I hope the Octy's prove little more reliable (none blown thus far after 3 years).

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Huskoda said:

Silicone grease would be better than vaseline as it does not corrode rubber.

Good point Huskoda, although my 'rubbers' are still in good nick just on 2 years later. Think I have some silicon grease somewhere so will replace with that.