Best headlamp bulbs to run for best visibility on fabia mk2? Xenon, hid or led

Just wanted to start a thread with a discussion on which headlamp bulbs, etc people run and which ones could be the best for night time vision, best looking, whether led, hid or xenon is best to use? So, any ideas going forward? I currently have the stock xenon lamps fitted to my fabia mk2 2010, there are so many to choose from now, so some help would be appreciated it choosing what to run in the future.

thanks in advance.

I've got autolights which means they don't like HID kits since they switch on and off a lot more than normal so I'm after some better bulbs as well.

I'll probably fit some osram night breakers or somthing since they are +140%? Brighter.

That or get a HID kit and risk is failing earlier than usual i suppose

• Like 1

Good quality uprated xenon bulbs are safest as I believe that it is illegal to retrofit HID lamps unless the car has auto headlamp levelling and washers. Automatic MOT fail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy5259 said:

Good quality uprated xenon bulbs are safest as I believe that it is illegal to retrofit HID lamps unless the car has auto headlamp levelling and washers. Automatic MOT fail.

ive had HID's on for two years now and its passed an MOT both times 

The MOT in Northern Ireland is only conducted in government test centres unlike the mainland. There may be a discrepancy in the application of the test which features computerised processes.

I had no idea you could get a mk11 with xenons, thought they were all just normal halogens but in projector lamps like this.. 

Anyway, has anyone tried the led replacements for halogens rather than something like the osram night breakers ?

IMG_1993.jpg

• Like 1

Like most folk with projector dipped beams I've been looking for a better bulb. I've opted for brighter halogens plus having the headlights properly aligned. It's not made a huge difference though. I did briefly consider HIDs but a quick google revealed the likelihood that the conversion is illegal and may well damage the projector lens. See http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/consumer-news/94753/dangers-of-illegal-hid-headlight-conversion-kits-explained

I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it......

Phil

Thanks for the comments back so far, seems a bit of a minefield with hid's so I will stay away there, I thought of going with these: H7 Philips Racing Vision +150% 12V 55W 477 Halogen Bulbs (Pair) http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H7-Philips-Racing-Vision-150-12V-55W-477-Halogen-Bulbs-Pair.html?gclid=CI36mo7chdMCFVXNGwodygEJuQ but it looks like they burn out quickly as they only have a 6 month warranty on them, any further thoughts please?

thanks.

also the bulb type is the H7 that I am looking to change, thanks.

Edited by thetraindriver01
More info added

6 hours ago, thetraindriver01 said:

Thanks for the comments back so far, seems a bit of a minefield with hid's so I will stay away there, I thought of going with these: H7 Philips Racing Vision +150% 12V 55W 477 Halogen Bulbs (Pair) http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H7-Philips-Racing-Vision-150-12V-55W-477-Halogen-Bulbs-Pair.html?gclid=CI36mo7chdMCFVXNGwodygEJuQ but it looks like they burn out quickly as they only have a 6 month warranty on them, any further thoughts please?

thanks.

also the bulb type is the H7 that I am looking to change, thanks.

HID are they way to go mate plenty good around people just feeding you with hear say , mine is MOT at main dealer and never fails try giving HID direct a quick phone call they are the experts on HID's

• Like 1

On 02/04/2017 at 19:28, thomasaspin said:

HID are they way to go mate plenty good around people just feeding you with hear say , mine is MOT at main dealer and never fails try giving HID direct a quick phone call they are the experts on HID's

I just wanted to point out that my post was not not 'feeding you with hearsay' as my quick google found that the Dept for Transport information sheet says,

'In summary: it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.'

And even online suppliers (HIDS4U,co.uk) say

'Unfortunately no aftermarket HID kit is strictly road legal as you are changing the lighting system (from halogen to gas discharge) in your car and for this reason the bulbs can't be E marked which is a legal requirement. You also won't have the self leveling and washer systems installed which is also a legal requirement for HID and without these installed the kit would be an MOT failure. HID kits are plug and play so they are easy to remove and replace with standard bulbs come MOT time.'

Just sayin'  :)

Phil

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...