VRS 230 Remap

16 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Fantastic News,..........Send me your Bank Details, Account number, Sort code and PIN and I'll give you a Million

AG

Let me give that some thought and I'll get back to you :wink:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

What would have you needing to have it returned to standard quickly, 

if you were making a Warranty Claim and you are asked if the car has none factory approved software / engine management then you have or had so just do not make warranty claims on the engine.

No point trying to hide it is there?

Nope, hence the pointlessness of a switchable map really. I was originally under the impression that putting it to standard through device did just that, but it doesn't ... It just changes to another map / set of settings.

I'd only need it changing back in theory if there were issues with the map, ie putting the car into limp mode etc.

In this case I'd rather have a place that's closer to home - a real shame though as I've used Shark before and liked their work ... But the fact Oscarli is significantly cheaper with the backup of the work being carried out by Richard Washbrook and being closeish to home really swings it in that direction.

Unless anyone can advise any other way?

Edited by stu83

I have had a jb1 tuning box on mine from 3 months old.Done approx 8000 miles since and it has been superb.The figures from the dyno were 287bhp and just over 301 torque.It was tested on a very warm day.I have since added a REVO carbon fibre air intake and filter and a Samco turbo inlet hose.Noise wise the difference has been negligible.Next on the cards is a Revo torque mount upgrade to stop the wheel hop.The beauty of these upgrades is they can all be removed without a trace on the ECU.Remaps leave a trace.

• Like 1

In my comparison between the tuning box and remap on my car, the tuning box didn't add anywhere the same torque.

Power might not be that far apart top end, but the low and mid range power / torque was completely different.

13 hours ago, geofftodd said:

I have had a jb1 tuning box on mine from 3 months old.Done approx 8000 miles since and it has been superb.The figures from the dyno were 287bhp and just over 301 torque.It was tested on a very warm day.I have since added a REVO carbon fibre air intake and filter and a Samco turbo inlet hose.Noise wise the difference has been negligible.Next on the cards is a Revo torque mount upgrade to stop the wheel hop.The beauty of these upgrades is they can all be removed without a trace on the ECU.Remaps leave a trace.

I had the JB1 on mine and it made 285bhp and 340ftlb, upgraded to the JB4 now and have been tweaking the settings in map 6 and she goes very well, need to get it back on the rollers to see whats shes producing now, will be happy with 300bhp + or - 5! Got the BMS intake and highflow outlet for the turbo also, sounds superb!

33 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

But, the tuningbox does keep you warranty in 1 piece 

Yep ... and with over 18 months of warranty left, and a DSG 'box, this is pretty important.

Genuinely can't decide what to do at the moment; I've got the money set aside to do it, but keep putting it off due to the warranty etc.

I can't find any incidents of Golf GTi / VRS owners having issues with a stage one map, so I assume it's well within tolerances. But there's still that risk.

21 minutes ago, stu83 said:

I can't find any incidents of Golf GTi / VRS owners having issues with a stage one map, so I assume it's well within tolerances. But there's still that risk.

Just do a search on IS20 turbo failures. They also fail without a remap as well however there is a thought that the map was not helping the situation allowing the turbine to overspeed.

It it seems that the later part numbers have less issues which the 230 will naturally have.

9 minutes ago, flybynite said:

Just do a search on IS20 turbo failures.

I hadn't seen that before ... I knew there were issues with the IS38 turbos in the Golf Rs, but wasn't aware there were issues with the IS20.

Hoping I'll have a later revision - the car was built in late 2015 so I'm hoping it'll be ok.

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:10, buck890 said:

I had the JB1 on mine and it made 285bhp and 340ftlb, upgraded to the JB4 now and have been tweaking the settings in map 6 and she goes very well, need to get it back on the rollers to see whats shes producing now, will be happy with 300bhp + or - 5! Got the BMS intake and highflow outlet for the turbo also, sounds superb!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stu83 said:

Took the plunge and booked in with Shark today, taking up their offer of 25% off all remaps making it £375.

I've used Shark before and trust them, so looking forward to Sat 13th.

Where is this? I can't see anything on their website.

57 minutes ago, Kahunajb said:

Where is this? I can't see anything on their website.

They posted it on their Facebook page earlier today. Looks like it's only just started, so probably not updated the main website yet.

1 hour ago, geofftodd said:

Going to get the JB4 just a bit worried about my clutch.

That's the beauty of map 6 you can tweak it so it's kinder on the clutch low down.

2 hours ago, ahenners said:

They posted it on their Facebook page earlier today. Looks like it's only just started, so probably not updated the main website yet.

Yep, this.

Sorry, been out watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 at the IMAX.

It was awesome.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, stu83 said:

Took the plunge and booked in with Shark today, taking up their offer of 25% off all remaps making it £375.

I've used Shark before and trust them, so looking forward to Sat 13th.

Let us know how you get on once it's done. I've decided against the APR map as they don't have a dyno to test it on, but the other components will be on the car before it's remapped, so will be interesting to hear your experience (including clutch-kindness - although just remembered you're DSG not manual...)

Edited by Ads230

On 2017-5-2 at 10:10, buck890 said:

Where did you order the JB4 from? Direct from the website? What are the shipping costs like. Considering going this route myself and getting the Bluetooth cable to be able to change the settings etc

51 minutes ago, Johnski21 said:

Where did you order the JB4 from? Direct from the website? What are the shipping costs like. Considering going this route myself and getting the Bluetooth cable to be able to change the settings etc

Yes ordered direct from BMS was about $70 if I remember correctly for the faster shipping, and around £30 for handling and import charges this end.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Kahunajb said:

Did you catch their sale?

DSG or manual?

DSG

And yep, caught the sale. They're honouring the sale price throughout June as well I believe, as long as you book in May.

Well worth it, very knowledgeable guys, and the map's great. For £375 you can't go wrong. 

• Like 1