Any Detailing Geeks Out There?

Lemto

Hello everyone,

I've recently been entrenched in the automotive detailing world. It's something I feel I have a passion for and want to know more. I purchased a Dual-Action Machine Polisher to assist me in this venture. I was wondering if any fellow Briskoda Forum users share the same passion as me and maybe could offer some tips in regards to Skodas particularly.  

As I'm hopefully picking my new Skoda up in the next few weeks, I would like to make sure that I am able to keep the bodywork in tip-top condition. As I have no idea what condition the paintwork will be, I'm making assumptions. I'm thinking it'll be good but not 100%, so I think I'll have to clay bar the car, polish it, apply sealant and then add some Gtechniq Liquid Crystal C2 (pretty much spray on wax, reviews are stellar). I'd love to purchase some sort of coating for the paint such as the Gtechniq EXO Ultra Durable Hydrophobic Coating or C1 Crystal Lacquer but they're extremely expensive (£44 and £42.50 for only 30ml!). 

I'd love to hear your thoughts in regards to this topic, I feel that it could benefit many other people who want to take care of their cars, not just me!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Svend said:

I'm at work at present but when I get home in the morning I should have some info for you. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts Svend, I can see you're a fan of Gtechniq products!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lemto said:

I'd love to hear your thoughts Svend, I can see you're a fan of Gtechniq products!

Hi fella. Sorry, got side tracked. 

First off. Gtechniq have a fantastic range of products but preparation and reading and understanding of instructions is important before proceeding (as with any product similar to C1, EXO, etc...). 

On delivery of the car inspect the car of slight defects such as micromarring where the dealer has washed the car prior to PDI'ing the vehicle. 

Some minor scratches are to be expected. 

As regards to how expensive they are. 

If you register over at Detailing World and then follow the steps at registering with Gtechniq (both are free) you can get 7.5% off your purchases. 

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=147238

DW member logins on Gtechniq.com - lovely discounts

seeing how y'all on DW are such splendid chaps and chapesses who have been very patient with this new company furnishing you with rare nano potions which you have bought and tested and provided feedback on we are returning the favour by offering existing customers a 10% discount and current DW members a 7.5% discount. We also recognise that those who haven't shopped with us before are missing out on this extra discount so as soon as you order more than £100 with us we will roll you onto to the 10% discount.

To activate this you need to register on our site - send me a pm with your login name and I will apply the discount to your account.

What's more we will be offering members of the site first dabs on new products and any samples we are doing. We have a couple of products on test at the moment and hope to be bringing new and exciting prods to market in due course.

Wishing y'all a very Happy Christmas and prosperous 2010 from all of us at Gtechniq thumb.gif

Gtechniq
Create an account and message Rob for 7.5% off 
http://www.gtechniq.com

Then wait for a reply from Rob or one of the other guys and gals to confirm, then sign in and place your order (your discount will be confirmed my up in the right hand corner of the screen and say, 'your discount 7.5%'). 

The team can be very busy so leave it a couple of days if necessary, but it's worth it and they are a great and helpful group. 

I hope this has helped a little and if you have any questions, fire away. I'll try to answer where possible, if not I'll direct you to where you can get it or endeavour to find it for you. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Svend said:

Hi fella. Sorry, got side tracked. 

First off. Gtechniq have a fantastic range of products but preparation and reading and understanding of instructions is important before proceeding (as with any product similar to C1, EXO, etc...). 

On delivery of the car inspect the car of slight defects such as micromarring where the dealer has washed the car prior to PDI'ing the vehicle. 

Some minor scratches are to be expected. 

As regards to how expensive they are. 

If you register over at Detailing World and then follow the steps at registering with Gtechniq (both are free) you can get 7.5% off your purchases. 

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=147238

Gtechniq
Create an account and message Rob for 7.5% off 
http://www.gtechniq.com

Then wait for a reply from Rob or one of the other guys and gals to confirm, then sign in and place your order (your discount will be confirmed my up in the right hand corner of the screen and say, 'your discount 7.5%'). 

The team can be very busy so leave it a couple of days if necessary, but it's worth it and they are a great and helpful group. 

I hope this has helped a little and if you have any questions, fire away. I'll try to answer where possible, if not I'll direct you to where you can get it or endeavour to find it for you. 

Thank you very much Svend, I decided to purchase Gtechniq Foam, Exo v3 and Panel wipe. When I receive my car I plan on inspecting it first (hoping it doesn't require a massive amount of machine work). I'll decontaminate it to the best of my ability, carry out whatever compounding and/or polishing is required, wipe with panel wipe and then apply the Exo v3. Do you think Exo v3 is good enough on its own? I see a lot of people using CSL prior to applying Exo v3.

Funnily enough, I literally just signed up to Detailing World. Unfortunately I have already purchased the products, however, I do plan on using it for any detailing questions! 

7 minutes ago, Lemto said:

Thank you very much Svend, I decided to purchase Gtechniq Foam, Exo v3 and Panel wipe. When I receive my car I plan on inspecting it first (hoping it doesn't require a massive amount of machine work). I'll decontaminate it to the best of my ability, carry out whatever compounding and/or polishing is required, wipe with panel wipe and then apply the Exo v3. Do you think Exo v3 is good enough on its own? I see a lot of people using CSL prior to applying Exo v3.

Funnily enough, I literally just signed up to Detailing World. Unfortunately I have already purchased the products, however, I do plan on using it for any detailing questions! 

EXOv3 is a great product by itself but for something more durable. Apply C1 to the base paint, then apply EXOv3. C1 is a ceramic sealant that offers a degree of scratch protection and then build up from there. Whether you apply C1 + EXOv3 or just EXOv3, top it with C2v3 which will offer more gloss and more beading while adding a further protection to what's underneath. You can also use C2v3 as a drying aid if mixed 1:1 with water for maintence washes, or neat for top ups, or even diluted 2:1 with water as a Quick Detailer (if you don't wish to purchase the stand alone Quick Detailer). 

3 minutes ago, Svend said:

EXOv3 is a great product by itself but for something more durable. Apply C1 to the base paint, then apply EXOv3. C1 is a ceramic sealant that offers a degree of scratch protection and then build up from there. Whether you apply C1 + EXOv3 or just EXOv3, top it with C2v3 which will offer more gloss and more beading while adding a further protection to what's underneath. You can also use C2v3 as a drying aid if mixed 1:1 with water for maintence washes, or neat for top ups, or even diluted 2:1 with water as a Quick Detailer (if you don't wish to purchase the stand alone Quick Detailer). 

I would love to have C1 and Exo v3 but isn't C1 for the more experienced detailer (which isn't me!). I did purchase C2 V3 though, I heard it's great for topping up your finish every 3-6 months, helping to maintain the hydrophobic surface.

30 minutes ago, Svend said:

If I was to also purchase C1, would you apply it in a similar fashion to EXOv3 and then immediately after applying C1, apply EXOv3? Or do you have to wait?

16 minutes ago, Lemto said:

I would love to have C1 and Exo v3 but isn't C1 for the more experienced detailer (which isn't me!). I did purchase C2 V3 though, I heard it's great for topping up your finish every 3-6 months, helping to maintain the hydrophobic surface.

Not at all. 

C1 takes no more than EXOv3. The only caviat to that is wiping off the residue. Failure to do so may leave the surface tacky (apply a little more C1 and buff again), if left to cure may need polished to remove the cured residue before re-application. 

But if you read the instructions thoroughly and tackle one panel at a time and wipe off any excess and buff (just as you would any coating be it Gtechniq's EXOv3 or CSL or Gyeon Cancoat, etc...). 

5 minutes ago, Lemto said:

If I was to also purchase C1, would you apply it in a similar fashion to EXOv3 and then immediately after applying C1, apply EXOv3? Or do you have to wait?

It's best to leave some curing time between coats, a few hours would do it. 

C1 is by no means mandatory but is a good start for CSL, EXOv3 or C2v3. 

It's best to leave some curing time between coats, a few hours would do it. 

C1 is by no means mandatory but is a good start for CSL, EXOv3 or C2v3. 

I think I'll go ahead and get C1, it seems like the best option and adds much more durability than just EXOv3 if I'm not mistaken. I'd love to get CSL, but it's application surely must be more complicated, meaning only an experienced person should apply it?

3 minutes ago, Lemto said:

I think I'll go ahead and get C1, it seems like the best option and adds much more durability than just EXOv3 if I'm not mistaken. I'd love to get CSL, but it's application surely must be more complicated, meaning only an experienced person should apply it?

Again. CSL is made for the slightly more knowledgeable detailer but you needn't be a pro at all, just observation to prep is key. CS Black is for professional (only Gtechniq accredited) use only though as it flashes off quite fast (it's professional use as incorrect residue removal requires wet sanding off), CSL has a slightly longer flashing off time for the knowledgeable detailer. 

Just now, Svend said:

Again. CSL is made for the slightly more knowledgeable detailer but you needn't be a pro at all, just observation to prep is key. CS Black is for professional (only Gtechniq accredited) use only though as it flashes off quite fast (it's professional use as incorrect residue removal requires wet sanding off), CSL has a slightly longer flashing off time for the knowledgeable detailer. 

Alrighty, what do you think? Is the added risk worth the benefits of CSL or is C1 just as good?

3 minutes ago, Lemto said:

Alrighty, what do you think? Is the added risk worth the benefits of CSL or is C1 just as good?

To be fair. CSL is normally based with C1. 

If you wish to EXO and then C2v3 alone that's more than fine. 

You can leave out any stage as long as the correct routine is followed (ie not C2v3 before EXO). 

C1, CSL, EXO then C2v3. 

You can leave out any stage as long as the correct routine is followed (ie not C2v3 before EXO). 

C1, CSL, EXO then C2v3. 

Oh I see, the only reason I assumed EXOv3 topped CSL (without C1 under CSL) is because there are a few YouTube videos showing what it's like.

6 minutes ago, Svend said:

C1, CSL, EXO then C2v3. 

After seeing this, I think I'll just go for a combination of C1 and EXOv3. 

pricing_reservation_EXPORT_FAQ.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lemto said:

Oh I see, the only reason I assumed EXOv3 topped CSL (without C1 under CSL) is because there are a few YouTube videos showing what it's like.

It's personal preference. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lemto said:

After seeing this, I think I'll just go for a combination of C1 and EXOv3. 

pricing_reservation_EXPORT_FAQ.jpg

I'm going to have to go to work but any questions, fire away and I'll get them when I get my break. 

• Like 2