Sharp Needles for Front Seat legs - under plastic/rubber

I went to the showroom today, and on the Octavia III and Octavia III facelift in the front seat of the passenger, where foot rests at the very end behind the plastic/rubber there are same horrible sharp metal needles !

Not even on Rapid can you reach with you hand such a place.

What is the purpose ?

As far as i see it, is a very bad finish - cost reduction measures.

Edited by umbral

1 hour ago, toni8b said:

Maybe a hedgehog went for a test drive?

1 hour ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Or a junkie :blink:

Not at all, in the showroom ? :)))

These metal needles can pierce your fingers if you insist.

Front passenger seat (didn't test driver), put hand at the end of the footrest (go high and behind the plastic rubber).

This is no joke.

test.jpg.283c0df49e549541812d2cd3cdceceb1.jpg

Not sure why anyone would need to?

Lots of metallic sharp edges behind the trim on the tailgate, as I found out when fitting a reverse camera.There's plenty of sharp edges in the engine bay too, but so what?

It's hardly something exclusive to the Octavia, or to Skoda for that matter.

5 hours ago, ahenners said:

How did you even notice this in a showroom? What were you looking for?! :blink:

A close family friend that works in the industry told us, that a Skoda is a Skoda, meaning that if you want to see the huge differences between a VW car and a Skoda you only have to check the place behind the legs in the front seats, to start noticing significant cost reduction measures.

I was ready to buy an Octavia 3 Combi, because i thought it is a new car, that was build on a new modular platform that had nothing to do with the old Skoda quality and cheaper platforms.

I was wrong, and our friend was right.

The policy of VW Group will always be to keep and position Skoda (maybe Seat too ?) at lowest possible quality, followed by VW < Audi < Porshe/Bentley/Bugatti/Lamborghini.

I will look again at Skoda in 2020 at Octavia 4. (will do same test)

Other people can check their cars and see for themselves.

You can understand the quality of a car usually by looking for things not visible, that the manufacturer tried to cover up.

Edited by umbral

2 hours ago, umbral said:

A close family friend that works in the industry told us, that a Skoda is a Skoda, meaning that if you want to see the huge differences between a VW car and a Skoda you only have to check the place behind the legs in the front seats, to start noticing significant cost reduction measures.

I was ready to buy an Octavia 3 Combi, because i thought it is a new car, that was build on a new modular platform that had nothing to do with the old Skoda quality and cheaper platforms.

I was wrong, and our friend was right.

The policy of VW Group will always be to keep and position Skoda (maybe Seat too ?) at lowest possible quality, followed by VW < Audi < Porshe/Bentley/Bugatti/Lamborghini.

I will look again at Skoda in 2020 at Octavia 4. (will do same test)

Other people can check their cars and see for themselves.

You can understand the quality of a car usually by looking for things not visible, that the manufacturer tried to cover up.

Hmm. And have you gone and done this test with a new Golf? You have checked the Skoda but you don't say you did the same test with a Golf.

• Like 1

At least they're hiding the sharp edges now. Skodas of yesteryear had plenty of panel edges that you could quite easily cut your fingers on in plain sight.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

What is it i have to look for behind the legs of the front seat of a 'New' unused Skoda,

then compare with behind the legs of the front  seats of a VW, Audi or Seat in the same price range?

It's how you check it's gender :giggle:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

What is it i have to look for behind the legs

28 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

It's how you check it's gender :giggle:

I've looked behind the legs George and Mrs G has a very sharp tongue as I've found out on several occasions but it didn't stop me marrying her, 34 years and we are still together.  :o

Ban or No Ban I'm still looking behind the legs.  ;)

Unless she spots me looking..............:nerd:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

The spikes are probably an anti-theft feature.

You know in the films where the hero gets into a handy unlocked vehicle with no ignition key then reaches under the facia and pulls out a couple of wires, arcs them and the car starts immediately and they drive off in pursuit of, or pursued by, the villains.

If he tried to steal a Skoda then when he reached under the facia he would scream in pain as he stared at his torn, bloodied hands.

Good feature if you ask me.

Does anyone know how arcing the wires releases the steering lock in the films? Or don't I suspend my belief enough when viewing?

Interesting thought, but it was on the front passenger seat, didn't check the driver one.

3 hours ago, WayTooTall said:

Hmm. And have you gone and done this test with a new Golf? You have checked the Skoda but you don't say you did the same test with a Golf.

You will never find such sharp and long needles on VW ever.

In worst case they will prevent you from ever going there.

Even on Rapid for example you can't go there, but on Octavia (a more expensive car) you can cut or pierce your hand !

3 hours ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

At least they're hiding the sharp edges now. Skodas of yesteryear had plenty of panel edges that you could quite easily cut your fingers on in plain sight.

This !

They are hidden now, but can be found if you look for them.

3 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

What is it i have to look for behind the legs of the front seat of a 'New' unused Skoda,

then compare with behind the legs of the front  seats of a VW, Audi or Seat in the same price range?

1 hour ago, toni8b said:

Where are these spikes, can we get a picture?

I regularly drive barefoot at summer days and I havent encountered any hedgehog in my car so far.

You get out of the car, near the front passenger seat, on your knees, now you put your hand where you put normally your feet but go as high as you can with your hand and go behind the plastic/rubber material and you will be able to hold with your fingers some big needles that have sharp points.

I thought initially these were to keep the rubber/plastic from going further back.

Edited by umbral

45 minutes ago, umbral said:

You get out of the car, near the front passenger seat, on your knees, now you put your hand where you put normally your feet but go as high as you can with your hand and go behind the plastic/rubber material and you will be able to hold with your fingers some big needles that have sharp points.

Right, I  get it now, you've been to the pub, your wife picks you up, your pi$$ed as a f@rt, you stumble and fall into the footwell, your hands go where your feet should and you cut your self, Right..............

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 4

Having skipped through this post, at 1 am and 1 glass of wine, I got the torch and went looking for needles on the VRs and have found none. So several things spring to mind.

1. Someone is having a laugh.

2. The car in question belongs(d) to junkie.

3. The wine is really strong and I am under the affluence of incohol.

4. Mrs brown hid the knitting needles from Winnie.

5. Skoda have put sharp needles to stop people looking for the cost cutting over VW.  

If you are sure that the Skoda is inferior to VW, feel free to have a look at JD Power surveys and see where the brand is in relation to VW and  Audi.

• Like 4