Worried about buying a 2010 Fabia VRS!!

Hi All,

Firstly I apologise if you've seen a similar thread over and over but I'm new to this and forums in general.

I am seriously interested in buying a particular Fabia VRS 2010 but keep reading horror stories about the oil consumption issues. The one I'm looking at has 2 owners and 47k mile's on it, any help/advice or information you guys and girls could give would be greatly appreciated.

Buy the car + warranty. If buying from a dealer, monitor oil consumption closely whilst under warranty.

Honestly read through the forums and get a good understanding of the car but don't be put off buying one, they are great fun and good value for money.

1 hour ago, Heavyhand85 said:

Hi All,

Firstly I apologise if you've seen a similar thread over and over but I'm new to this and forums in general.

I am seriously interested in buying a particular Fabia VRS 2010 but keep reading horror stories about the oil consumption issues. The one I'm looking at has 2 owners and 47k mile's on it, any help/advice or information you guys and girls could give would be greatly appreciated.

if it was out of warranty i would steer clear , is it from a skoda dealership or a different dealership , have you checked the service history as may have a replacement engine :)

5 minutes ago, thomasaspin said:

if it was out of warranty i would steer clear , is it from a skoda dealership or a different dealership , have you checked the service history as may have a replacement engine :)

It will be from a Skoda Dealership and it will come with 1 year warranty. I have requested details of the cars history and asked if it's ever had an engine replacement but have yet to hear back.

I took it for a test drive and it was a superb drive. The car seems ideal for me as I've always wanted a car with a good bit of oomph and I drive about 1k miles a month so decent economy is a must too. Just very worried about all the issues I read.

5 minutes ago, Heavyhand85 said:

It will be from a Skoda Dealership and it will come with 1 year warranty. I have requested details of the cars history and asked if it's ever had an engine replacement but have yet to hear back.

I took it for a test drive and it was a superb drive. The car seems ideal for me as I've always wanted a car with a good bit of oomph and I drive about 1k miles a month so decent economy is a must too. Just very worried about all the issues I read.

why not pay a little bit extra mate (if money isn't an issue) and get a newer version mate with a CTHE engine which from standard has a bit more OOmph than a cav(also known as cave)

15 minutes ago, thomasaspin said:

why not pay a little bit extra mate (if money isn't an issue) and get a newer version mate with a CTHE engine which from standard has a bit more OOmph than a cav(also known as cave)

Would that be 2012 onwards? The only 2 post-2012 models within 40 miles of me are private sales and I'm not comfortable spending that much money with no warranty if you know what I mean. Maybe I should just wait til one comes up...

Edited by Heavyhand85
Misspell

5 hours ago, thomasaspin said:

Since when did the CTHE engine have more power than the CAVE? 

• Like 2

Furbytom and others had new standard CTHE on the dyno and had 185 bhp or more 190bhp not uncommon, but then so do some standard CAVE.

Best avoid a CTHE built before summer 2013 as some were not sorted out, or look for one that has proved OK or many had a replacement engine because some early CTHE have had engines replaced.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/357839-fabia-vrs-estate-rolling-road-run 

There are other Dyno / rolling road threads for CAVE / CTHE if you do a search.

SEAT fitted the revised engine / engine management in the Ibiza months after it went in the Fabia.

They lowered the Co2 g/km over the CAVE but early 'Engine Managements' still needed updating, 

SEAT, SKODA, VW, AUDI never bothered changing the Official Power Outputs in 2012 / 2013 on.

http://autocar.co.uk/car-review/seat/ibiza-cupra/first-drives/seat-ibiza-cupra-first-drive-review 

Edited by Awayoffski

Personally i would not buy 'any car' i was worried about that was a substantial purchase (over say £4-5K) unless i knew the full historical log / or the owner

I bought mine 'blindly' based on how good a friends MK1 VRS was.

Had i read about the MK2 posts back in 2012 i probably would'nt have got one, but also has been best and most joyful car have ever owned,

My 2010 Cave was at 173bhp in 2016, The custom map boosted it to 203bhp once all the basic mods were done and oil problem sorted out. If it had started life as a CTHE maybe it would be higher?

Unless you dyno a car before & after you cant really know for certain. I have noticed CTHE readings always record higher by members of forum.

4 Years now waiting for a member of Briskoda to post a Dyno of their own CTHE Engine Mk2 vRS Fabia with a Stage 1 or 2 Remap.

There are Dynos with a CTHE fitted with a Tuning Box that members have posted that gave the same power as a CAVE with a Tuning Box.

• Like 1

I think that if you are concerned about the general history/facts/stories concerning any version of any model of car, then you should stay away from buying one as you will always have a concern about what comes next!

On the other hand, if you have fallen in love with this version of that model, then you should take on board the bad stuff and dive in and deal with what happens as it comes along - and try to enjoy your car.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Heavyhand85 said:

Would that be 2012 onwards? The only 2 post-2012 models within 40 miles of me are private sales and I'm not comfortable spending that much money with no warranty if you know what I mean. Maybe I should just wait til one comes up...

Avoid 2012 / 2013 models has these seem to be the ones that have had most of the engine replacement from what I've read on here. For peace of mind I bought a 2010 VRS blind from a used car sales forecourt. I've had it 19 months done nearly 30000 miles in it taking it up to 75000 it uses some oil about half a litre every 500 miles or so. I've had to replace the spark plugs once so just look out for that but other than top up, service and drive. Enjoy.

P.s no warranty.

Edited by TopRavr
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

A litres every 1,000 miles. That really is not good.

Have you put in 5w 40 FS Oil and seen if that makes any difference.

That's exactly what I've been reading which is what concerns me. 1l of oil per 1k miles would mean I had to do 1l per month. Seems very excessive! Is it all CTHE that have this consumption or just a percentage?

I understand completely that a lot of what you read online will be negative cos people like to complain more than compliment. That's why I signed up here to get some owner advice.

Have you read the Pinned Threads up the top of the section.

There are plenty good cars around, and less CTHE with issues than CAVE engines had.

If you want a good car you need to do research on the one you are going for and then have a Skoda Warranty.

You can buy a Skoda Warranty for a car bought from a private seller as long as you know there is a Full Skoda Service History, and no engine mods / remaps.

Or pay more at a Dealership but still get a good Warranty that counts, and be sure to check the car out as soon as you get it and return if faulty.

Look in EVO Magazine this month at the Used Buyers Guide, but it just has all the stuff that is up in the pinned threads or the dozens of others with Members asking here about buying a Mk2 Fabia vRS.

Have fun road testing one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

A litres every 1,000 miles. That really is not good.

Have you put in 5w 40 FS Oil and seen if that makes any difference.

I get 1200 miles roughly in a litre of castrol 5w 30. Car loves it.

2 hours ago, Heavyhand85 said:

That's exactly what I've been reading which is what concerns me. 1l of oil per 1k miles would mean I had to do 1l per month. Seems very excessive! Is it all CTHE that have this consumption or just a percentage?

I understand completely that a lot of what you read online will be negative cos people like to complain more than compliment. That's why I signed up here to get some owner advice.

About 120 quid a year costs me in oil between services. I can live with that for such a reliable warm hatch. 

6 minutes ago, TopRavr said:

About 120 quid a year costs me in oil between services. I can live with that for such a reliable warm hatch. 

When you put it like that it makes me want it more :)

If you don't mind me asking, how do you drive? Long/short distances? Fast/responsibly? I ask cos I do about 25miles to work, normally quite conservatively, and 25 miles back a bit more aggressively lol.

• Like 2

If it was just a case of just keeping feeding 9 litres of oil between services it would be no big deal, plenty have done that in the past,

and you can have 12 litres for £60 if you buy 5w 40 FS VW 502 00,so no need for £120 of Long Life oil. (& Castrol 5W 30 FS Long Life oil is doing a Twincharger no good, often this is part of the problem.)

There can be issues greater than just burning oil or fouling 1 spark plug and cooking it.

You really want 99 ron Super unleaded and 25 miles is OK because after about 5 miles the oil will be getting above 50*oc and the car will run economic enough and when up to heat at around 80*oC you can clean the spark plugs a bit, then much the same going home.

PS,

The reason some one might think 2012/13 cars had more engine replacements is because in 2010/2011 Skoda were having engines rebuilt, then Short Units supplied and then in 2012 Base Units fitted, late 2012 the CTHE was introduced.

There are less than 1,800 CAVE cars and 1,100 CTHE, CAVE cars are 2010-2012 and some had an engine rebuild, then a new engine, and some are on a 3rd engine, not many but there are some.

& then some CTHE engines replaced, some early 2012/2013 ones, and later as well.

Edited by Awayoffski

4 hours ago, TopRavr said:

Avoid 2012 / 2013 models has these seem to be the ones that have had most of the engine replacement from what I've read on here. For peace of mind I bought a 2010 VRS blind from a used car sales forecourt. I've had it 19 months done nearly 30000 miles in it taking it up to 75000 it uses some oil about half a litre every 500 miles or so. I've had to replace the spark plugs once so just look out for that but other than top up, service and drive. Enjoy.

P.s no warranty.

I have a 13 plate CTHE and not one drop of oil is used, mostly used just to drive to work 15 minutes away too. I've had mine 18 months and done 10k (27k on the clock) no warranty either. Infact skoda told me it had too much oil in the car and it's only them who service it and ive never added oil. odd.

OP whats the Reg plate on the car? give Skoda UK a bell and see what the history is on it? Also the old owner might be a member and hopefully still active.

• Like 1

Both long and short distances. Thrown everything at it where possible. Car always thanks me. I do tend to drive it more respectfully now though since the spark plug incident last year but that was my fault giving it too much thrash at the wrong time. Cold engine, old plugs, crap fuel. 

36 minutes ago, Polluxtroy69 said:

I have a 13 plate CTHE and not one drop of oil is used, mostly used just to drive to work 15 minutes away too. I've had mine 18 months and done 10k (27k on the clock) no warranty either. Infact skoda told me it had too much oil in the car and it's only them who service it and ive never added oil. odd.

OP whats the Reg plate on the car? give Skoda UK a bell and see what the history is on it? Also the old owner might be a member and hopefully still active.

I don't know the reg off hand and its blanked out on the advert, will drive past the garage tomorrow if i remember and find out.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TopRavr said:

Both long and short distances. Thrown everything at it where possible. Car always thanks me. I do tend to drive it more respectfully now though since the spark plug incident last year but that was my fault giving it too much thrash at the wrong time. Cold engine, old plugs, crap fuel. 

When you say crap fuel do you just mean standard unleaded? I tend to always fill up (diesel on current car) at Esso cos it's conveniently on my way to work.

1 minute ago, Heavyhand85 said:

When you say crap fuel do you just mean standard unleaded? I tend to always fill up (diesel on current car) at Esso cos it's conveniently on my way to work.

You want to be using 98 ron or above on the VRS. Most of us use Tesco 99. So crap fuel means the standard stuff - which is crap and you can tell that the car has it in it. & for a couple of quid more on a full tank its a no brainer.