Diesel fuel filter replacement interval

Hi Folks,

The previous owner of my car must've lost the original service book as as I've only got a replacement service book with my Octavia so I've no information on at what mileage or time interval the diesel fuel filter requires changing  ... It's a BKD engine code.

Lookng online I can't find anything and even dealers web sites for servicing don't list anything and only say it will be changed if required along with a whole host of other items.

Regards

Peter

Thanks Dara,

At the moment I've not had any issues with it its just I've had her coming up on 2 years and have done just over 27,000 miles in that time and she had 3rd oil and filter change toda.... I know she'd one changed not long before I bought her which I'm sure is now 37,000 miles so I'll maybe see my local garage and have it changed at the next oil change.

3 hours ago, dara85 said:

I think it's every 60000 but if you're not experiencing any problems associated with fuel starvation just do it next time you'll be servicing the car.

I thought 40K miles, but I might be wrong. 

59 minutes ago, trundlenut said:

Air filter was 60K on mine.

TBH my superb could be 60K for fuel filter and air filter, it doesn't say in the manual anywhere. I'm going back to the mid 2000s when I had my 1.9 PD, i'm pretty sure the manual said 40K miles for fuel filter and air filter

Unfortunately they don't seem to want you to know these things any more. I have recently checked my air filter at 20K and it didn't look too bad so I will probably wait while another 10K and do them both together.

I was changing mine every 30,000 miles in my van and the VRS but one time the fuel filter in the van was black (bad batch of fuel maybe) so I do them every 10,000 miles now.

18 hours ago, trundlenut said:

I thought 40K miles, but I might be wrong. 

Could be, that's why I wrote "I think" :D. I know about few cars which are running fine with 150k miles on clock on original fuel filter.

To be honest I always change oil and all filters (ell except pollen filter) once an year. They're not so expensive and it gives me warm feeling that I do something good for my car.

• Love it! 1

8 minutes ago, dara85 said:

Could be, that's why I wrote "I think" :D. I know about few cars which are running fine with 150k miles on clock on original fuel filter.

To be honest I always change oil and all filters (ell except pollen filter) once an year. They're not so expensive and it gives me warm feeling that I do something good for my car.

The intervals vary across different countries as well.

I would imagine its dependant on type of mileage and over what period ,mine is taxi so fairly high miles covered quickly - change oil and filter approx 6/7 k and fuel filter about every 4th or 5th oil change .

Thanks everyone for the input .... I've done just over 27,000 miles since I bought the car and I know the fuel filter was changed before I bought it, I've just not had time to look through the paper work again that came with it to see what the mileage was .. If I change it at the next oil change I'll have done 36,000 plus what ever since it was changed so I reckon it's as good a time as any to change it.... I just need to find which filter it takes as I can't see anything on the filter housing and ECP list at least 2 different styles 

9 minutes ago, labman1001 said:

Thanks everyone for the input .... I've done just over 27,000 miles since I bought the car and I know the fuel filter was changed before I bought it, I've just not had time to look through the paper work again that came with it to see what the mileage was .. If I change it at the next oil change I'll have done 36,000 plus what ever since it was changed so I reckon it's as good a time as any to change it.... I just need to find which filter it takes as I can't see anything on the filter housing and ECP list at least 2 different styles 

On my old car the writing on the filter housing was facing the wing, you could see it if you stood by the wing mirror looked down between the wing and filter housing.  It may be worth using a mirror to get a better look.

• Like 1

Thanks trundlenut I ll have a look tomorrow in the daylight to see if I can see anything... I've seen some posts suggest you can see it taking the headlight out but there's nothing facing the front of the car I can see 

I change it every second oil change...in my case 20k km...all filters are cheapest solution to most problems.

air filter, fuel filter cost nothing compared with damaged engine and increased fuel consumption.

clogged DPF increases fuel consumption from 0.5l/100 up to turbo failure

• Like 1