Skoda Dealership Oil Vs Mobil 1 own

Just querying if anyone has had any issues with Skoda dealerships and supplying own oil when services are due?

I've had my Skoda Rapid Spaceback TDi for just over 2.5 yrs now, had no issues with it at all. I had a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi before this which was 10 yr old and used Mobil 1 engine oil all the time. From what I have read and also recommendations from others, it seems to be a very good oil to use for turbo diesels. My Spaceback had it's major service yesterday and the dealership challenged me when I stated that I wanted to use my own oil (Mobil 1) which I was supplying. They stated it was the wrong oil to use for the engine.

Now I've been in touch with the Mobil 1 manufacturers about whether the oil is safe to use and they came back with they foresee no issues at all in using their oil in the type of car I have. I was just wondering if anyone has had run-ins with dealerships stating this bull-****? I'm guessing they are just trying to supply me with their medium mix of oil so the service price is bumped up? 

There can be issues, and that is Snide Mobil 1 & other oil.  Fake / packaged oils.

(i got Mobile 1 from a 'mate' in payment for a job done and within a few miles of the car getting up to operating temperature then going sky high i knew it was hooky oil in a very convincing 'Mobile 1' 5w 30 FS sealed oil can, and so was the others i had received.

A Garage is guaranteeing their work and if the source of the oil, ie Customer supplied maybe even from Ebay then there can be problems.

So you use a Garage that is happy to use the oil you supply, or do your own oil and filter changes.

Edited by Awayoffski

Well the Mobil 1 engine oil was purchased from Halfords and I've always used the fully synthetic oil when cars in for service. What did strike me as strange also, was the cars first service I used the same oil (Mobil 1) but on that occasion they didn't challenge me like they did this time round.

I do usually change the oil filters and air filters myself, but with the car needing so much more checking, and what with the diagnostics and resetting the cars service counter, I tend just to let the garage deal with the service these days.

Like I mentioned, I never ever encountered any issues with my Octavia TDi using Mobil 1. I only guess since the cars still under warranty they must advise to cover themselves.  

The Dealership is using 'Fully Synthetic' oil as well to the correct spec, if they have not used 'Fully Synthetic' then they were wrong.

If they used Quantum  or Castrol then almost certainly they used 'Long Life' Oil  which is something that some might not want.

'Long Life Oil' might mean Long Oil & Filter Service Intervals but not necessarily long life engines.

49 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

There can be issues, and that is Snide Mobil 1 & other oil.  Fake / packaged oils.

(i got Mobile 1 from a 'mate' in payment for a job done and within a few miles of the car getting up to operating temperature then going sky high i knew it was hooky oil in a very convincing 'Mobile 1' 5w 30 FS sealed oil can, and so was the others i had received.

A Garage is guaranteeing their work and if the source of the oil, ie Customer supplied maybe even from Ebay then there can be problems.

So you use a Garage that is happy to use the oil you supply, or do your own oil and filter changes.

It's the same with us at halfords auto centre, we will only use our supplied oil (made by Comma) or Mobil 1, it's always manufacture spec as well, we do this so we can warrenty  it. We used to use Castrol products before hand.

?

Do your employers always allow a Customer to supply the oil trusting that unopened containers are what they are supposed to be?

How about Filters, Brake Pads etc, do the Main Dealers you work with accept the parts that Customers supply if they appear genuine?

I always question the oil. My dealer uses Shell Helix Ultra 0W 30W although Castrol is printed on filler cap. I am happy with that even I have always used Castrol Magnetec  on previous cars when I did oil changes.

7 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

?

Do your employers always allow a Customer to supply the oil trusting that unopened containers are what they are supposed to be?

How about Filters, Brake Pads etc, do the Main Dealers you work with accept the parts that Customers supply if they appear genuine?

These days it very rarely happens and when it does it's usually "high performance" parts that customers want fitting. 

For instance Ive dealt with a few people who swore by millers oils, we were happy to use that particular product. 

If people want to risk buying cheap oil then they pay the price when it goes wrong.

if the oil was the definitive cause of failure then a lab test would be the route taken by the manufacturer.

• Like 1

So is that a yes, your last and present employers are happy enough that customers supply the oil for services you are carrying out?

Not a question of cheap oil, but hooky oil that is around & being offered for sale and being passed off as genuine top named brands.

Edited by Awayoffski

It was never contested at RRG and I've not been in that position yet at Pentagon. 

Ive seen the various threads and posts about fake oil and substandard parts. 

My only advice would be to buy from a reputable source and check the dispatch info if buying from the likes of eBay - plenty of sellers saying they are based in the uk when they are actually no where near.

I contacted the Mobil 1 manufacturer after having my run-in with the Skoda dealership, asking the question about the oil and giving them the specs of the engine. They did come back saying based on the type of car/engine that the oil would not hinder performance or be anywhere be harmful to the engine. I gave the dealership Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W/40 engine oil which I have used on all my previous cars (all being TDi's) and had no issues with them at all. And now I come to think about it, this is the first time that the dealership has raised this in all my years going to the same garage. Strange.

This is only hear-say, but the oil I use it slightly thicker than what the dealership would use. I think there is one thicker but it's used on trucks and is more like treacle than oil, but again, I've had no issues in the past, and if the manufacturer of the oil has stated, based on the cars engine spec, that it's good to use, then I guess I'll be happy with that. I know they could just be saying that so I keep buying their oil, but the dealership could also just be stating it's the wrong oil just to sell their own. It's a double-edged sword.

I did have a courtesy call from Skoda customer services as the car is nearing it's 3 years old, and I did mention the query of the dealership about the oil, the guy on the phone actually stated that the oil would be fine and it could be a case of the actual dealership itself trying to flog it's oil. lol.

Was the oil 507.00 spec? If not - that could be reason alone for them to be reluctant to use it. 

The muppets at customer services often have no idea what they're taking about so don't rely too heavily on what they say, if it's not VW AG compliant then they shouldn't be saying it's fine. 

The oil might be thicker but that's not the important bit. What is is the amount of ash created during the combustion process. If the oil isn't "low ash" like long life 3 then this could reduce the life of the dpf.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to use Mobil 1 turbo diesel 0w 40 on my old vw non pd TDI but didn't use on newer diesels as it does not meet 507.00 spec and I think you should be using Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil - 5 Litres to prevent long term damage to dpf as it meets 507.00 vag spec.

Slightly off topic.

A few years ago (back in 2010 if I remember) a large well known dealership asked me if I wanted to purchase a service plan from them, I'd just bought a Vauxhall diesel off them. The service manager was pushing this on me when I asked the question "what oil will you use in my car" now I knew pre buying the car what oil is used in it. His reply was "Oh I don't know, we just get it out of a big drum, but I'll find out"

I thanked him for his time but refused the deal on the service. I did buy the car but immediately changed the oil, that way I knew the oil was of the correct spec. I should have run away really as the car although engine wise was fine it was other stuff that cost me money in the end.

Engine oil is pretty much the cheapest component, in terms of value, that you will ever buy. People spend ££££s on cosmetic stuff and then skimp on a really vital bit. Buy the correct spec oil from a known source...not off eBay, or in the pub car park...and relax.  Yes, Dealers make a good mark-up on lubes; in fact some dealers seem to think they are supplying liquid gold, (not usually Skoda dealers, but the Bavarians can be crazy). Any dealer willing to use customer-supplied oil should be noting the fact on service sheets/invoices. If they won't use it, then you have a decision to make. Neither you, nor the dealer can determine oil quality, (or, heaven help us, "thickness"), by rubbing oil between finger and thumb. Can not be done. And I say this after 30+ years in the oil industry, half in Lubricants, with the market leader. 

Buying 'Long Life' oil for VAG cars is fine...you don't have to stick to long drain periods if your operating parameters don't support it. 

Minor rant over.