Dash Cam in the Yeti

30 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Mobius has worked very well for me. Tried and tested by plenty on here, and comes in at £70-80 Inc the fitting bits needed. 

Can't see the justification in spending the likes of £180 on something similar.

Me too, I'll try the cheapo if it turns out rubbish I'll use it for the rear (or give it wifey lol)

Zoto camera arrived today did a quick test quality looks good.  Got the hard wire kit and piggy back fuse all installed (rear wiper fuse, made sure by removing the fuse and trying the wiper)  just need to know what fuse rating to put in the piggyback fuse any suggestions please?

22 minutes ago, Graham1941 said:

just need to know what fuse rating to put in the piggyback fuse any suggestions please?

Is there not a power specification in the manual or on the camera somewhere?

I'd have thought it would not need anything beefier than a 2A - 5A.

16 minutes ago, Urrell said:

Is there not a power specification in the manual or on the camera somewhere?

I'd have thought it would not need anything beefier than a 2A - 5A.

Thanks Urrell, now why didn't I think of that! It says 5v 1 amp!  So 2A I think would be ok.

Well I have to admit it, you were right! The cheap MOTO with its great spec lasted two days then went tits up!  The screen was all pixelated and it kept squawking every few minutes, anyway its now on its way back to Amazon for a refund.  As most of you indicated 'cheap can sometimes work out dear in the long run'.  So having taken full notice of your  suggestions and more research, I went out today and purchased the Nextbase 512GW.  Yes its a tad expensive at £149 from Halfords but hey, what a difference, great quality, nice features, easy to set up, and clear as crystal.

Thanks again everyone for your help it is much appreciated. 

I am looking to buy a Dash Cam so useful posts, thank you.

Some Dash Cams will come on automatically if someone hits the car when parked, recording the car that hit you hopefully. If wired into vehicle ignition and ignition switched off then this probably would not be the case. 

5 hours ago, AlfredJ said:

I am looking to buy a Dash Cam so useful posts, thank you.

Some Dash Cams will come on automatically if someone hits the car when parked, recording the car that hit you hopefully. If wired into vehicle ignition and ignition switched off then this probably would not be the case. 

If you want that facility it needs to be on a permanent live fuse, most cameras have that ability.

10 hours ago, AlfredJ said:

Don't they contain an internal rechargeable battery? My cheap Lidl one does (though not collision detection)

Jim

Some do, or it's a capacitor.

You'd need to look at how long the run-time will be, without external power. Most cameras of this type would have a max of around 2hrs run-time on battery power. So it wouldn't cover an overnight stint, for example.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FurryFriend

Lucky you sensed it Graham. And an absolute example of why these cameras are so essential these days. 

Wouldn't be without ours. I recently recorded two bikers passing us at an estimated 130mph. 

Think Bike...... Yeah right! 

11 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

Lucky you sensed it Graham. And an absolute example of why these cameras are so essential these days. 

Wouldn't be without ours. I recently recorded two bikers passing us at an estimated 130mph. 

Think Bike...... Yeah right! 

Dead right here is an example of that just so close to serious injury.

Wheelie boys.mp4

1 hour ago, FurryFriend said:

Shame there's never a police car around!! :angry:

More dash cams will give the police the excuse that they can rely on drivers to monitor and report driving transgressions to them. So they can concentrate on monitoring more important 'hate crimes' on social media. 

• 1 month later...
On 04/05/2017 at 07:54, TeeDeeEye said:

Just done mine using a Nexbase 312Gw took about 30 mins. Next base is a very good dash cam with a great mount and hard wire kit to piggy back in the fuse box. I've fitted in a few different cars and the yeti is the easiest because the fuse box is so close. Mount as stated in the other replies. If you don't fancy doing it yourself Halfords will fit it cheaply while you wait.

How are you getting on with the nextbase 312gw as this is the one I'm considering for my yeti .. saw footage from a friends nextbase112 and that looked good so hopefully the 312gw will be good to

Yes perfect, put same in an old fabia with no bother. Now got three cars with this model in the household, also previously had them in a Focus and a Peugeot 107 as well. Very satisfied with fit, use and quality of dash cam and footage.

32 minutes ago, TeeDeeEye said:

Yes perfect, put same in an old fabia with no bother. Now got three cars with this model in the household, also previously had them in a Focus and a Peugeot 107 as well. Very satisfied with fit, use and quality of dash cam and footage.

Thanks .. Which fuse did you piggyback off .as don't want to piggyback off the accessories socket as they appear to be permanent live

I've used the 12v/cig lighter socket fuse which is permanently live for the dashcam, so I can leave it on when required (i.e. car parks etc).

Used the rear wiper (switched live) fuse for the reverse camera/mirror display and phone/sat nav. (only got the basic S model 1.2TSI)

ps. used the bulkhead torx screw as the earth point as couldn't get my spanners in to undo the 13mm nut.

fuse3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a Transcend cam for Yeti v impressed then two more for other vehicles, not cheap but faultless even the police were impressed by the quality of the video taken after swerving to miss a nicked car, you can even see the eye colour of the nerds in the nicked car.

So I like the idea of piggy backing off a fuse in the box, but does that not put to much load on that wire when using both the camera and the device it's piggy backed to?

Being how manufactures as so tight these days, I would think the wire is barely enough to cope with it's original load.

1 hour ago, glenn_btn said:

So I like the idea of piggy backing off a fuse in the box, but does that not put to much load on that wire when using both the camera and the device it's piggy backed to?

Being how manufactures as so tight these days, I would think the wire is barely enough to cope with it's original load.

Almost negligible extra load.

My BlackVue is rated 4 Watts, which is equivalent to 0.3 Amp

13 minutes ago, valep said:

Has anybody taken off the A pillar cover to put the cable down inside it if so is it easy to remove

Sorry, not a direct answer to your question...

But I tucked the cable on mine behind the rubber door seal, which I found safer, simpler, and just as invisible.

• Haha 1