Tyres for Mk3

1 hour ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Membership is instant, you'd need to look at their website to find out their prices, normally they are very keen though

So with GY Eagle F1's, for example, you are basically getting 4 tyres tor the price of 3. Result! 

Go for it guitarman - it's a great deal and your car will be sorted. Keep the best of the old ones as a spare. 

Post what model your car is & someone will tell you very quickly. 

Or google it!

Or try the handbook, it may be in there.  

2 minutes ago, guitarman001 said:

Ah sorry - blackcircle tells me it's 91W for Octavia 3... It's just I currently have a couple that are 94 on the car.

If you put your registration into BlackCircles, I'm sure that will be right - 91W. 

My vRS is 92Y, so they do vary.  

On 08/05/2017 at 09:08, gregoir said:

Best to stay with the speed rating of the original spec tyres. They are usually no more expensive anyway for summer tyres. All seasons tyres tend to give lower speed ratings and winter tyres lower again. You can set a reminder of the maximum tyre speed on one of the info menus. I'm wavering between sticking to the original Michelin Energy + or maybe changing to Vredestein Quattrac 5 all seasons. 

The noise level is given on the National Tyres web site and others. 

I tried Michelin energy on my megane and didn't rate them, expensive, no better fuel consumption compared to Avon eco tyres or conti eco conti, and wore out just as quick too. Out of those 3 the continental eco conti gave better grip too.

I'm going to give Michelin cross climate a go though when I change soon although I can't comment on how they will go yet!

Interesting reading everyone's findings!

Just read the whole thread through, no one tyre comes out on top. I liked the ratings and price of Dunlop blu until one poster said they were noisy.

Not looking to spend over £400 fitted if I can help it. Ideally that includes tracking as well... So maybe 80+ per tyre fitted.

Edited by guitarman001

12 hours ago, guitarman001 said:

Just read the whole thread through, no one tyre comes out on top. I liked the ratings and price of Dunlop blu until one poster said they were noisy.

Not looking to spend over £400 fitted if I can help it. Ideally that includes tracking as well... So maybe 80+ per tyre fitted.

I've just purchased a pair of GY F1 asymmetric 3's from kwik-fit for £173 fitted; they've got an offer on too, if you order online you get some love2shop vouchers back in return. They were the cheapest I could find local to me, as black circles and asda tyres were quoting £90+ a corner. 

Might be cheaper than costco? 

Here's the offer: https://www.kwik-fit.com/offers/goodyear-love2shop-offer

If you have one in mind & find it for a good price, as long as you stick to a big brand name, Conti, Pirelli, Dunlop etc, I dont think you can go wrong with a tyre choice.

One guy will love them another will tell you a different brand is better.

In the end, I don't think I could actually tell the difference.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dunc69 said:

If you put your registration into BlackCircles, I'm sure that will be right - 91W. 

My vRS is 92Y, so they do vary.  

88Y is P-Zero factory mounted on my RS230. It is 1500+kg car.

On 2017-5-10 at 12:21, guitarman001 said:

This is for my own info so I don't forget....

Rear passenger-side tyre:

Michelin Primacy HP. 

225/45R17. 91W (whatever 91W means). 

Good condition other than a nail in the tyre (can that get fixed without having to get a new tyre..) and slightly worn on outside edge - needing camber adjust? 

Front passenger-side tyre:

Rovelo RVX-988. 

225/45ZR17. 94W (so not 91W... hmmm??). XL (?).

Decent condition, slight wear on edge. 

Front driver-side:

Uniroyal Rainsport 2. 

225/45ZR17 XL. 

Tread down a touch, some wear on edge. 

Rear driver-side:

Winrun R330. 

225/45R17. 94W XL. (XL = ? )

Worn edge, lots of tread left. 

Bit of a mish-mash....!!

Sorry, but why on earth did you buy a used approved car with those tyres on it? To me that tells me everything I need to know about how well it was looked after by the previous owner. 

Did you not try and include new tyres as part of the deal? 

To be honest some guys here say they thrash their SKODAs prior to handing them back.

I didn't really think it was an issue at the time - I don't do a lot of buying of cars and they all have loads and loads of tread. 

Now I know better - you live and learn!

Edited by guitarman001

49 minutes ago, guitarman001 said:

To be honest some guys here say they thrash their SKODAs prior to handing them back.

I didn't really think it was an issue at the time - I don't do a lot of buying of cars and they all have loads and loads of tread. 

Now I know better - you live and learn!

Fair enough, I just don't understand how some people have so little interest or care about the only part of thier car that has contact with the road.

All your current tyres have varying noise ratings of between 70-73db. The Dunlop BluResponse are 67db

• Like 1

Narrowing it down to Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance (£78 per tyre fitted) 

or

Michelin Crossclimates (£105 per tyre fitted)

Crossclimates are the better tyre but come at a hefty premium.

Edited by guitarman001
  • Like 1

I came to the conclusion that Michelin cross climate would save money and bother of switching to winter tyres, for very little compromise in performance (according to a couple of online multi tyre test reviews). So although more expensive at the start slightly better value in the long run. Being in Scotland I would think winter capable tyres would be wise?

42 minutes ago, guitarman001 said:

It's mainly motorway I do, not sure if it'd be overkill.

Motorways drop below 7'C and get slushy too where they will offer better braking and control, they also improve water dispersal compared to summer tyres (which with scotland only being beaten by wales for rainfall... ;-)

7 hours ago, guitarman001 said:

Going back to the efficient grip for now, only downsides I read are wear and increased noise as they wear. 

You're over-thinking it. Just get them and they'll offer a big improvement in noise, grip, and driving characteristics on what you currently have fitted. 

• Like 1

Ahhh!! I decided to go for CrossClimates as I effectively saved £4k not going for an Audi...

BUT I ordered 94W instead of 91W by mistake. Should it matter...?? They didn't have 91W - I reckon it should be ok.

Edited by guitarman001
  • Like 1