Defenders

Aspman

1 hour ago, Defenderben said:

Without going off topic too long, quick question what mpg are you getting from the 335?

It hovers around 40 pretty consistently. 

If I can resist the urge to boot it it stays at about 42 and I think 45 is on the upper edge of what's possible. 

A long run at 60mph you might see 50, but why would you?.

TBH anyone who buys a 309hp 3l twin turbo 4x4 diesel and complains about 'only getting' 40 needs a kick in the *******s.

• Like 3

On the "personal accounts" side. I have a mate who has a 110 diesel wagon, only does about 3_000 miles a year ,but makes the point that when he uses it there is literally nothing else that can deliver all the same functionality in one vehicle.

• Like 1

I leave you for a day and all these little devils are on your shoulder whispering in your ear.  I think you have no option but to give the itch a good scratch now. 

• Like 1

Or as I have often discovered:-

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. ..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dare I say what I'm after is a thing that might put a smile on my face and on occasion be useful.

I loved my VRS in the same way I love the beemer becasue when I look at it I want to drive it.

I have mechanical watches not because they tell time better they don't, A £10 casio is a better watch but I get enjoyment from owning the things in themselves. I think my Defender itch is of the same ilk.

I've been looking at 'cheap' exotica as well. Aston Vantage, R8, Porker 911. Exige V6 that sort of thing but in all honestly I find the idea of owning a scruffy defender more appealing for some reason.

But closely behind that is the Caterham 7 itch I've had for 20yr.

14 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Dare I say what I'm after is a thing that might put a smile on my face and on occasion be useful.

For me I could say the same for Scarlett Johansson sa she would put a smile on my face and useful on more than the odd occasion but I know I still know it is a bad idea in the end. 

I recommend

cortizone10.jpg

• Like 1

I dunno maybe Scarlett would give you an itch to take home. Them Hollywood types :blush

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Aspman said:

But closely behind that is the Caterham 7 itch I've had for 20yr.

I've had a hankering for one for years - so I can take it out on the one or two days a year when its not raining ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/25/2018 at 09:13, Offski said:

Aspman,   

if you are near South Queensferry maybe have a look along to Port Edgar Marina & the Land Rover Garage. 

Some very nice vehicles there.

http://engine710.com 

Lol guess where the GF just got a flat and where I was not this morning :biggrin:

I'll be down again next weekend so I might have a nosy in.

Sorry, bit late to the party here...

I was a big Land Rover fan for many years and owned several Defenders from basic Pre-Defender classic series vehicles right up to an original Camel Trophy "Mongolia 97" support 110 and a brand new 110 station wagon.

Also did everything from winch challenge events to driving across the Sahara desert in 2004.

What I will say is Defenders are NOT unreliable by nature.  They are actually very reliable, if maintained correctly.  The last new one I had did 53,000 miles in two years including a lot of heavy towing.  Other than servicing it needed a set of rear pads and that's it.

However, the majority of them out there have not been maintained properly.  Which means they are unreliable now as used and abused vehicles.

Had around six of them I only broke down once, with a radiator full of mud after a week of holiday off roading, so the engine couldn't cool properly.  But it still got me home after a bit of roadside bodging.

The cabin is cramped and suits a driver with one arm and leg shorter than the other.

After several years driving them I still have a weak shoulder from it banging on the B post ten years since I stopped.

The cabin gets hot.  Ventilation is good, but the floor and transmission tunnel will still be roasting.

Personally, unless you specifically need a Defender for a reason there is no reason to buy one.  Except they put a smile on your face and throwing one into a big muddy hole is great fun.

They are expensive for a working tool and while they go on forever in theory most of the parts don't.  Doors corrode, chassis rust etc...  as you mentioned.  Trigger's broom.

If you use them as intended be prepared to do a fair amount of preventative maintenance.

Every time you sink it in mud it gets everywhere.  Into anything that moves, needs lubrication and the nooks and crannies where it sits causing rust.

As for finding a well maintained basic one...   you will be very lucky.

To farmers they are tools.  Spending a lot of money on preventative maintenance is a foreign idea to most farmers who use something until it starts to break and then sell, hence they have mostly moved to cheaper Japanese pick ups.

Expect anything other than a fairly new one with low miles (not incl silver LR experience cars which live off road) to cost you a lot and need a lot of time spent on it.

It's a way of life.

There is no reason to do it.

But if you do, you'll probably love it.

Edited by BossFox
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the moment prices seem beyond crazy that's the main issue.

The Beemer will need some work this year (wheels need powder coated [£400], major service [£500] and quite possible brakes all round [£700+]). I need to decide soon whether to cut and run to something else or spend the cash and keep it.

Lack of practicality in the beemer occasionally grates, find myself looking wistfully at Octavia's again. Maybe a return to fold sometime.

My daughter was told her X5 needed an expensive new alternator and quite a bit of other work that had been ignored/put off.

She was inclined to update to something like a 7 seat Toyota Kluger or similar.....even though she loves the X5.

I suggested that as the mechanic had expressed interest in buying it off her, that it was probably because he could see it as a bargain.............she’s keeping it and investing in it instead.

The old saying: the cheapest car is the one you own..........I need to take my own advice though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryeman said:

The old saying: the cheapest car is the one you own..........I need to take my own advice though.

Lol amen to that.

On 5/18/2017 at 20:37, Lee01 said:

I've said to myself for a long time if I was going to get get a proper go anywhere Ute, it'd have to be a Unimog. Another go at the Euromillions tomorrow should see me right.

NEVER underestimate the mud plugging ability of anything with a LR badge on it. Out in Africa, I had an early 80's version SWB .But come the rain- it was point and go ,even on muddy tracks. Next came a Jap 4x4 , and it was dig it out, unless you decided it was rally time and rallied it out of mud.

• 2 months later...

Think of it this way; which one gets a wash and polish?.

A Defender would have to be done round the back and out of sight..........but would you really?

My second car itch was scratched by a Min Cooper Clubman with roof bars. Realistically it's cheaper and more practical than a Defender if much less iconic. But it is weird with its lopsided doors which helps.

Also it fits in the garage which a Defender wouldn't.

There's a whole slew of euro 4x4 about to /have reached "classic" if not iconic status.

Pajeros,g-wagens,vitaras,landcruisers etc etc

Nothing will beat the mechano nature of a defender except a pre 85 range rover(also totally bolted together).but mental money .

Parts availability prices LR all the way.

G wagen more comfy , price,parts prices.

Comfort wise defenders are horrible hot noisy ba57ards,the only thing I can think of that's worse bj40 landcruisers ,now those I can't even begin to understand and the price!!!!!!!!!!

All things considered Rangie middle aged 4 door c.86 to 91 the simpler the better takes some beating,my own is a mongrel 84 chassis ,90 disco 200tdi manual running gear 92 harddash body interior no a/c no abs,no electric seats.

Sunroof central locking e.windows

Here's the buying checklist for old Landrover

RUST,RUST and.........RUST 

Toyota dominates Australia in 4WD simply because of the massive dealership network.

You won’t find a defender on an outback cattle station for that reason.

5 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

Toyota dominates Australia in 4WD simply because of the massive dealership network.

Toyota the terrorists and despot vehicle of choice!

It has to be said if you'll rely on a Toyota to take over an unstable African state you can rely on a Toyota to get to your sheep.

6 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

Undoubtedly,I personally like landcruisers post BJ,I just don't get the following the have

,I'm coming from the point of view of accec to civilization and the punitive Irish road tax system 1100 to 2500(I think it's so long since I looked)euro ROAD TAX,Vs 56 euro if 30+years old.

Re parts,4xsprings ,4xshocks,1xsteering damper,1xclutch kit,delivered to my door from England in 36hrs........198euro