Help! Replacing an Injector

I got a response from Shark, the car is fine no issues!

So it seems the misfiring issue was resolved when i replaced the spark plug and Coil pack in Cylinder no 4.

As for the oil on the spark plug and coil pack, they have said they have had a look and it all seems fine!

1 minute ago, Awesam said:

I got a response from Shark, the car is fine no issues!

So it seems the misfiring issue was resolved when i replaced the spark plug and Coil pack in Cylinder no 4.

As for the oil on the spark plug and coil pack, they have said they have had a look and it all seems fine!

Interesting and glad to hear you're back on the road.  I'm still a little wary about the amount of oil on the threads on both of our cars however...

Yes I agree however Mark is the mechanic and is pretty clued up as he is the one who put on all the performance mods.

I did leave a set of new spark plugs in the car but they never changed them!  That was down to someone else not handing the note i left in the car for Mark to look at.

So I will change them myself, I may even carry out the compression test whilst doing so just to give myself reassurance.

So panic over and thank you to everyone who contributed to the thread.

Will check the coil packs again in a few weeks and if there is still oil on them then I will get a look indy to have look.

Edited by Awesam

1 minute ago, Awesam said:

Yes I agree however Mark is the mechanic and is pretty clued up as he is the one who put on all the performance mods.

I did leave a set of new spark plugs in the car but they never changed them!  That was down to someone else not handing the note i left in the car for Mark to look at.

So I will change them myself, I may even carry out the compression test whilst doing so just to give myself reassurance.

So panic over and thank you to everyone who contributed to the thread.

Will check the coil packs again in a few weeks and if there is still oil on them then I will get a look indy to have look.

Might be worth giving the metal head a good clean around the spark plugs and oil cap just to ensure there's not a slight leak on the top that's causing oil to run down in the spark plugs.  

Also, when you do the compression test, make sure you do a dry test and a wet test.  

3 hours ago, planehazza said:

Interesting and glad to hear you're back on the road.  I'm still a little wary about the amount of oil on the threads on both of our cars however...

That oil must have come from above, as the plug was removed.  Think about how it looks all wet and fairly clean. That oil has not been through the fires of hell that are a combustion chamber in a running engine.

17 minutes ago, Wino said:

That oil must have come from above, as the plug was removed.  Think about how it looks all wet and fairly clean. That oil has not been through the fires of hell that are a combustion chamber in a running engine.

Would that apply to my plugs too: 

Glad you are going again.

Why was the spark plug installed without the compression gasket;

If you don't know, why weren't the other checked?

Did you show Shark the removed plug?

Why was it so carbon fouled, and Shark left the others?

Why have you got boost out of tolerance errors including under and overboost?  What did Shark do to resolve?

Why is it using oil?

I'm glad you're happy now. I am a bit more sceptical about the duration of your elated state. Or I'm just having a bad day! :sadsmile:

If the oil on the plug is only from the cam cover forget it that job on it's own is not worth it unless it becomes very severe!

• Like 1

As I had the car transported to Shark, I couldn't show them the spark plug even though i left it in the car with a note. 

I'm planning to go picked it up in the next day or two and will bring to the Mechanic's attention to get his view.

Once I get the car back home I will remove all the plugs and see what the condition of them are and will report back.

The under boost error has gone however the overboost still remains and they've told me its a glitch!

They have road tested the car and its fine.  So i can either accept that or take it somewhere else. 

Ok, your car.  But my 10 pence worth,  it doesn't sound like they had the full picture and they don't sound particularly thorough taking everything written and documented in this thread, especially if they have solely been responsible for maintaining said vehicle.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheClient said:

Ok, your car.  But my 10 pence worth,  it doesn't sound like they had the full picture and they don't sound particularly thorough taking everything written and documented in this thread, especially if they have solely been responsible for maintaining said vehicle.

Sadly, I doubt they would.  They make their money through maps, so in my bitter, naive opinion, tuners probably just want people in, hand money over, and out again; any problems and take it to a mechanic.

2 hours ago, TheClient said:

The problem I've had is that I was unable to speak to Mark the mechanic, directly.  All my correspondence was with Sam who basically does the admin.  Even when I sent over my VCDS and pics he was dealing with them which was fair enough as he said he would get Ben or Carl to have a look at them.

The response I got back was that Ben said that he needed the car to be at the workshop to have a look.

Overall I've managed to resolve the issue myself by changing the spark plug and coil pack.

At least i got them to fit the front lip spoiler! :) 

Edited by Awesam

3 hours ago, TheClient said:

I believe this should be clarified. That was done intentionally, when at Shark, I would be very doubtful why ...

Just a question, do you know how much oil you need to top up during service interval?

3 hours ago, TheClient said:

Could the absence of the compression gasket have contributed to the deterioration of the sparkplug? 

On 2. 6. 2017 at 09:32, rayx said:

Well, when car rides OK, I would leave it so. I guess missing washer has allowed getting oil in and out of the cyllinder as there was lower pressure at "combustion chamber".

Keep driving and watch out the oil consumption.

edit: Allowed maximum per VAG manufacturer is 0,5l per 1000km/621miles what I reckon already as high :sadsmile: Should it stay on about your current 0.5 litre of oil after 4-5kmiles, all will be OK.

Edited by rayx
  • Like 1

I managed to pick the car up yesterday in a 5.5 hours round trip of which was 50 mins was unnecessary as i ended up walking 2 miles from the train station. Prior to my arrival, I did call to ask if they could pick me up once i get to the train station and they said sure just give them a call once there.

So when I got to the station I called and was in a hold for over 10 mins, gave up and I decided i better start walking. Someone had gotten confused and gave the wrong message.

Once I got to their unit to find out i found they had moved to another industrial estate 10 mins walk away!

At that point i received a call from Sam, asking me where I was as he had been waiting at the station for 15 mins. So I told him where I was and ask if they had moved and then he thought it appropriate to inform me that they had move to another industrial estate a few streets away, Although he managed to pick me up when I was literally there!  Nice guys but I won't be going back there in hurry.

Anyway picked up the car and drove the 75 miles home and the car was fine. It still pulls like a train.

Will change the sparks plug today as they are mostly due a change and to see the condition of them.

Sorry for the delay! Here is the picture of the spark plugs.

Found a bit (few drops max) of oil on the coil pack of Cylinder 1, 3 & 4. For some reason Cylinder 3's spark plug took some effort to come out!

So the conclusion is that the sparkplug in Cylinder 4 didn't have the compression ring so oil must have seeped through and caused the dry fouling. 

20170617_090011.jpg

No problem :cool: Not the worst plugs condition I have seen, deposits yet not that bad, agree the missing washer on No.4 was the issue, who could do that? As you say you found few oil drops on other coill packs, important is cleanlines in the head so plugs sit on clean metal with correct torque. When you feel plug goes not freely in or out, do not drive it out at once but go forward and backward few times so the thread will clean up a bit.

So keep going and just keep eye on oil level.