Remap issue?

Hi all.

Just had a remap. 2011 vrs tfsi. Just driven home on the motorway and whole car seems to stutter consistently at anything above 60! Just spoken to company who did remap and they said it could be issues with coil pack or spark plugs. However I didn't have this issue the night before. Any useful suggestions please?

2011 should be EA888 which in skoda marketing should of been described as TSI consistently but on V5C still seems to be TFSI. It is just that in Skoda language, the previous generation was described as TFSI.  Anyway, we digress.

12k on plugs "should" be ok, especially if they are Genuine double platinum or even Iridium IX BUT, AS Awayoffski says, don't trust a scribble or tickmark in a service book, they need to be taken out and checked. A coil packs could very well be cactus.

Is this a well known reputable engine mapper, that won't fob you off?  They ought to be interested in getting it sorted even if you have to pay for maintenance type part items if it has done this on immediately driving away from their garage or shortly there after.

They have a good reputation and review history. Unfortunately it was late in the day to chase them in any detail so will have to speak to them in the morning. Just hoping this isn't the beginning of something serious 

I don't have experience of DTUK (edit DK UK) but it wouldn't be uncommon for the stage 1 remap to expose a plug or coil pack problem, so hopefully it is easily sorted, give them a chance to resolve.

Edited by TheClient

This reminds me that I really should check my plugs ahead of applying my Shark S1 map when it arrives.  Plugs are easy to check and set but how can I test coil packs?  Mine are still the originals from 2009 and are almost 80k miles old now. I don't want to just throw £120 at new ones for the sake of it if they're fine.

2 minutes ago, planehazza said:

This reminds me that I really should check my plugs ahead of applying my Shark S1 map when it arrives.  Plugs are easy to check and set but how can I test coil packs?  Mine are still the originals from 2009 and are almost 80k miles old now. I don't want to just throw £120 at new ones for the sake of it if they're fine.

I don't think you really can practically speaking, if you don't want to pay for replacements, then you just have to see how it goes. A problem will be obvious if annoying!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheClient said:

I don't think you really can practically speaking, if you don't want to pay for replacements, then you just have to see how it goes. A problem will be obvious if annoying!

Thanks, this is what I guessed the case would be.  I wonder if it's worth me just swapping the plugs now anyway as they've got ~17-18k on them.  They're NGK 8ks IIRC.

Edited by planehazza

It is an easy job to do all together as to get to the plugs, you have to take the coil packs off! But they aren't big jobs like 30min start to finsh on the CCZA, access is good.

I'd have a look at the plugs and the gap and see if they have only done 12k, if so, leave them.  Depends how they want to fault find it really, it is probably only one coil pack, but some like to replace them all if one has failed.

The car should have faults read and it may indicate a misfire cylinder.

• Like 1

This REVO warning is about TSI Twincharger Engines, 

but the same applies with any Remap or Tuning, before doing have the engine running perfectly, 

Oil, Filters, Oil & Air and Fuel, and Plugs checked or changed and good fuel in.

Car running without any mis-fires under load when standard then fill your boots.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

By the way, IMO the REVO remap for Twinchargers was crap and too risky, but the Warning still applies to Remaps.

Sorry, don't mean to keep hijacking the thread, but it's brought questions to mind.  My car is 2009, so an early EA888 TSI. Is it worth checking for any ECU/standard map updates beforehand?

Edited by planehazza

Why?

You are away to have a better map than the ones VW Group applied, well that is the plan.

What is not unusual is some new owner going to have a car remapped to improve performance only to discover the car was already remapped and went better before than after.....

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Why?

You are away to have a better map than the ones VW Group applied, well that is the plan.

What is not unusual is some new owner going to have a car remapped to improve performance only to discover the car was already remapped and went better before than after.....

I've got extensive paper work from previous owners and a map was never mentioned.  Fingers crossed mine doesn't have a map; I doubt it very much though.  My last car was 240bhp, as opposed to 200bhp in this heavier Octavia, but the difference in performance is considerable.  

• Like 1

Good.

Remember not all Declare Modifications to Insurers and go on the Idea that if there is some Insurance Loss Adjuster or Accident Investigation they can say, 

'Never knew it was Mapped, was not me, sorry guv'.

Obviously a ECU investigation can disprove that by date, miles etc.

1 minute ago, Awayoffski said:

Good.

Remember not all Declare Modifications to Insurers and go on the Idea that if there is some Insurance Loss Adjuster or Accident Investigation they can say, 

'Never knew it was Mapped, was not me, sorry guv'.

Obviously a ECU investigation can disprove that by date, miles etc.

I'm not entirely sure if you're referring to my map, or if it was previously mapped, but I have it on my insurance already in preparation for it being done :)