Remap issue?

Photo needs to mostly show the electrode end of the plugs. So angle from the tip of the plugs and doesn't really have to show anything past the thread. Look at the photo I put up previously for reference. 

First one from the left seems to have too much deposits. Second bad one looks the first one from the right.

Hard to add anything else, now is important to know the oil usage, keep an eye on it.

Edited by rayx

Yes, better photo. Like rayx says, far left has a lot of build up and appears significantly  different from others. The remainder don't appear to tell much of a story.  

How many miles has the car done. What is it's service history like especially frequency of oil changes?

I would say get the garage to change out oil and measure consumption. Note on their records you have added 2Litres in 2 months so far . Was this a dealer or independent garage?  

The car has done just shy of 60k. Service history seems relatively regular, mostly by skoda at yearly intervals. Its all electric skoda.

Update of symptoms incase they tell a story. Went out last night, whilst accelerating from 40 to 70 on the motorway the engine management light and EPC light came on. General struggle for power and engine began to shake violently. I pulled over, the engine continued to shake violently. Looked under bonnet but no visible issues besides shaking. Turned engine off. when I came back to car, all lights were off and engine started, idled and drove normally! Does that help at all with diagnosis. My worry at the moment is that all electric can't look at it for the next couple of weeks and i'm struggling to get it into my local garage in next few days and I start a new job on Monday and don't want to get stranded. Should I just shell out for coil packs and try them?

Without diagnostic no one can say anything else. You need VCDS at someone independent or VAS/ODIS diagnostics at VAG concern dealer to check fault memory of engine ECU, without that it is just blind search :sadsmile: Get fault numbers so we can look at it.

Not sure with 2.0TSI, must look at, but till somewhere in 2011 fitted problematic pistons+rings, can you look at sticker on the top cover of timing for production day?

Just to know what tensioner for timing chain fitted if not replaced already, do you know? It will not help with oil usage, but can be another "risk" New one fitted from 5th March 2012.

So here two TPI, I am bit surprised with finding they fitted modified pistons at CCZ_ engines later than tensioners, what would mean 2012??? Not sure, could be not the first modification ...

New pistons from engine number CCZ_234188

Technical product information 2031743_1 oil consumption.pdf

New tensioners from engine number CCZ_224768

Technical product information 2025206_7 tensioner.pdf

Edited by rayx
  • Like 1

There is a user listing of VCDS owners who, if you PM contact, you may find are able to help for some nominal offer of compensation. If you are near Birmingham, there appears to be a few users. There is a map and a listing (two alternative views) of the same users.

If that doesn't work out, and you are feeling desperate, get any garage to get a code read as a start, without VCDS you may not get full subsytems support, but if it is engine / ignition the codes should be provided that are turning on the CEL.

If you are going to involve the selling dealer, I know it shouldn't matter and it will not have caused the oil consumption, but it may simplify matters somewhat to get the map taken off. Did you ever go back to them to get their view?  Just my thoughts.  Will that cause the faults to go away - I doubt it now they are there, unless the MAP itself is faulty.

The history of the car sounds ok - but again the detail lacking, what sort of mileage intervals, and from service stamps you'll never see the type of oil used, but if Skoda dealers were used at least it should be compliant.

just got back from trying 2 other local garages for diagnostics and both said too busy until next week so in desperation I've been to local GSF and bought 4 NGK coil packs. I've just driven it pretty hard up the M5 and no stutter in sight........ I'm hoping i'm lucky enough that the coil was the issue. Touch wood and all that. I'm gonna get it in for a full oil and filter change anyway and if that's not the end of the issue then i'll try someone on the list for diagnostics. Just hoping we were over complicating it all. I used to change oil on my celica every 6 months, should I be looking the same on this?

Edited by justin82
added

I'm glad you appear to be up and running.

I don't think there has been an over compilation though, your problems co-incided with a new map, most early advice was to take back to engine mappers to diagnose. Which was a logical and sensible advice.

That would of been a fast track way forward and any reputable company should have been able to run fault code reads and some diagnostics following problems immediately after their map. 

You were clearly apprehensive about doing that, but doing anything else muddies the water with the remedy following the remap.

If you look at my first post, no10 in thread I suggest plugs and coil packs are likely but without any diagnostics, and not knowing the map you have, that is telling you to throw parts at it on possibilities.

Anyway, fwiw I still stand by last advice on oil consumption, you need to check that having added 2 litres already in 2 months (unconfirmed mileage) and will need to get dealer involved unless you were going to deal with the repurcusions yourself.

i hope it all works out

• Like 1

I agree with what you said, I have already been in touch about the oil issue with all electric. Its just going to be a couple of weeks before they can get me in. At least if nothing else I know what I'm monitoring. I did approach the tuner about the issue but they were generally evasive about dealing with me again and I didn't then want to get wound up chasing someone who was not interested in helping. I know it's certainly not a done deal I'm just hoping I've struck it lucky with the 'fix' although still £200 down on plugs and coils. I just wanted to know I'd done everything that I myself could whilst waiting for garage availability. I'm very appreciative of all advice given. Thank you.

only put it in last week bearing in mind I've only had car for 3 months. 5w 40 FS Castrol magnatec. Put that in also simply as I already had it and was when I discovered that the engine was running extremely low. As i'm still dubious that all electric performed the service I will be taking it back for a full oil and filter change.

• Like 1

Just a little heads up.

I bought that Castrol Crap cheap in a ASDA sell off to service a Twincharger, not mine. 

Within i few hundred miles the owner was going mental. low oil, low oil pressure light, so i went look and it was like it was water.

Changed oil & filter, put in ASDA 5w 40 FS VW502 00 and sorted, no issues.

Twincharger Discs%2c Pads%2c Filter%2c Oil 015.JPG

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, justin82 said:

I agree with what you said, I have already been in touch about the oil issue with all electric. Its just going to be a couple of weeks before they can get me in. At least if nothing else I know what I'm monitoring. I did approach the tuner about the issue but they were generally evasive about dealing with me again and I didn't then want to get wound up chasing someone who was not interested in helping. I know it's certainly not a done deal I'm just hoping I've struck it lucky with the 'fix' although still £200 down on plugs and coils. I just wanted to know I'd done everything that I myself could whilst waiting for garage availability. I'm very appreciative of all advice given. Thank you.

It is hard going when fobbed off. Maybe they would of responded differently if you said you're brining it back in for a refund and remove map...unless they wanted to help.

If £200 is all it has cost to resolve all your issues and the oil usage is from like 14 months rather than 2 months, that would be a great outcome and maybe you've learnt some things along the way.

It does seem that you see many more 1.8tsi engines with terminal oil usage come accross these forums but they are the same series and generation designed engine as the CCZA and share a lot of components. There would be a lot more 1.8tsi variants in circulation rather than vRSs so that is probably the answer. 

Edit: oh and as rayx suggested, you may well want to consider a change out of the tensioner. There is a sticky at the start of these forums on engine failures which will give you information on why. 

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 2

Fully agree what TheClient said. I would now focus on getting sorted running issue together with very likely oil issue. When confirmed it´s just some minnor thing, then just let check the timing+tensioner to have peace in mind. When it is nothing small, get ECU in original state and force All Electric to get it sorted.

When you search for more details, look around at EA888 second generation engines from 2008 to 2011/2012 (those with variable oil pump)

I had quick look at ETKA, 2.0TSI had in May/June 2011 first major change same as 1.8TSI, it got new piston pins of 23mm instead of 21mm and likely new rings/piston design. But obviously needed yet second modification mentioned at TPI posted above. Pistons used before June are 06H107065BE, replacements then 06H107065DD or latest DM.

On 2017-6-8 at 12:54, rayx said:

New pistons from engine number CCZ_234188

Technical product information 2031743_1 oil consumption.pdf

New tensioners from engine number CCZ_224768

Technical product information 2025206_7 tensioner.pdf

I'm curious now, I think I know the answer but was just interested if you had something in black and white.  Is there a TPI specifying from what engine number # the first Piston / ring design change was made mid 2011 for CCZ engines?  The one linked here seems to be further changes made 2013 so much much later engine numbers.

My engine is dated 18.04.2011 / CCZ # 155618 - therefore think it just missed out. Not that it is causing me any issues at present, so with attention to oil changes, oil spec, and maintenance I hope it stays that way for another 30k+ miles at least, taking it to 70k+ miles. When I'll probably look at replacing it.

6 minutes ago, TheClient said:

I'm curious now, I think I know the answer but was just interested if you had something in black and white.  Is there a TPI specifying from what engine number # the first Piston / ring design change was made mid 2011 for CCZ engines?  The one linked here seems to be further changes made 2013 so much much later engine numbers.

My engine is dated 18.04.2011 / CCZ # 155618 - therefore think it just missed out. Not that it is causing me any issues at present, so with attention to oil changes, oil spec, and maintenance I hope it stays that way for another 30k+ miles at least, taking it to 70k+ miles. When I'll probably look at replacing it.

Don't say that! Mines on 78k and that makes me feel like I should be changing mine!  I don't know if I'll be able to justify £2k on a car I bought for £7k two years ago :/

• Like 1

No, not really thinking like that will be the end of it, then and there!!. It is just that by then, with our mileage, the car will probably be 10 years old then so it is not just about mileage on the engine. It would be interesting to know though, what some of the bigger mileage (edit pre June 2011) CCZ or similar engines are on that have stayed on fixed service intervals and how their oil consumption in holding up!

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

Just now, TheClient said:

No, not really thinking like that will be the end of it, then and there!!. It is just that by then, with our mileage, the car will probably be 10 years old then so it is not just about mileage on the engine. It would be interesting to know though, what some of the bigger mileage engines are on that have stayed on fixed service intervals and how their oil consumption in holding up!

Well my oil usage is high, but within spec.  It took 1600+ miles to go from max to min on the dipstick, but the low oil light hadn't yet triggered.  I do have a slight leak so I'm probably worrying over nothing at this point.  Compression was OK too, albiet not brilliant, but still well within spec :)

• Like 1