Moving on and up

My octavia elegance dsg estate will be VTd in a month or so as this family car has been replaced with a Superb Sportline TSi DSG. I thought my octavia had decent levels of equipment but the Superb is in another league. The octavia although blighted initially has been a good workhorse and reliable but my low mileage use it was time for a petrol. So i get 220ps now and more room for the growing kids and its a really really nice cabin to sit in.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Congrats, really like the Superb, especially in Sportline trim! TSI 220 and DSG is a great combo, don't think you'll be disappointed :)

+1. Great choice! 

I completely agree, just got a new Superb SE tech as a company car (pool car) and after driving a 300 miles in it its made me want to swap in my VRS but I have 2 years left on my PCP. 

16 hours ago, octavianestate said:

Lots of car for £32k. 

Errrr I agree but, a fully spec'd vRS245 is that kinda money & will handle a lot better.

Don't get me wrong, horses for courses & some will love it but, on an involving road a vRS with DCC is gonna be a lot more fun.

• Like 1

You can't sway someones decision at this point so respectfully they will carry on with that, even though you might be right but actually its the Super 280 4wd that would be the one to go for ( better than the vRS).

I wouldn't be buying a diesel right now but good luck anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vRSAnt said:

its the Super 280 4wd that would be the one to go for ( better than the vRS).

Having test driven Superb 280TSI 4X4 I disagree about the handling of that vehicle & I'm being polite as my previous comments caused disagreements 

Okay, thats surprising I'd have through the AWD would trump an ediff and not much diff in their weights? But if you had direct experience of it then I bow to it.

I have just bought a '14 Candy White vRS DSG petrol estate with Black Pack, Columbus & Pano. Awesome car. 

Basically 1/2 price car at 22k miles (cost me under £15k)

I bought new last time ('10 vRS petrol FL MkII DSG with leather, Columbus, Xenons and had it for 7 years) but probably won't buy new again. 

Anyway, to the point - in 3 years time it will be a 280 Superb Estate DSG, again hopefully for around the £15k mark. 

Handling precision is nice, but value, pace & space win it for me! My kids are growing fast too so, whilst the added space of the MkIII Octy is great, the Superb will be what we need come 2020. 

Edited by dunc69

7 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Errrr I agree but, a fully spec'd vRS245 is that kinda money & will handle a lot better.

Don't get me wrong, horses for courses & some will love it but, on an involving road a vRS with DCC is gonna be a lot more fun.

Is that what you drive?

I looked at the Superb but as I've had to replace my drivers door mirror twice in 18 months living out in the country lanes I can't see anything wider than the Octavia working for me. +1 for the 245, but I have seriously considered the OP's choice. Its an awful lot of car for the money. 

Edited by juan27

Exactly. You get a lot of kit as standard. 

For me it was an upgrade into a luxury car and skodas premium vehicle.

Also being rare some are not sure what it is. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

If yours is specced up to £32k then im sure it will be awesome. 

• Like 1

I spotted a few Superbs lately not realising they were, and though blimey whats the Octy have they done a facelift on the Octy as my side panels aren't like that.

Then realising after they parked up they are Superbs.

I do like that side impression on the side panels it does make the Superb stand out.

• Like 1

A superb is a good upgrade.  Just swapped my manual VRS TDi for a Superb 150 DSG.  After 700 miles, it's clear that it's a much better car in just about every respect.  Not sure why but I seem to be driving much better now.  The car is a much more serene place to be which affects my driving.  20% saving on fuel costs helps too. 

13 hours ago, skovirg said:

A superb is a good upgrade.  Just swapped my manual VRS TDi for a Superb 150 DSG.  After 700 miles, it's clear that it's a much better car in just about every respect.  Not sure why but I seem to be driving much better now.  The car is a much more serene place to be which affects my driving.  20% saving on fuel costs helps too. 

But how do you cope with the lack of power when needed? 

11 hours ago, toni8b said:

But how do you cope with the lack of power when needed? 

I don't really notice it. 150 bhp in this car is just fine for me. If it wasn't then I obviously wouldn't have bought it. For me, a superb in whatever guise (and I test drove lots) does not encourage overly spirited driving but each to their own.