Broken rear spring

I've just had my  2010  octavia vrs serviced   They mentioned I have a very rusty rear spring and recommended to have it  replaced because they can break/snap  i've just been out to have a look at the spring and there is no rust On the spring top or bottom 

Anyway is it common for Octavias rear springs to  Break/snap ?

My 2008 estate was serviced in December ( 91,000 miles) & failed the MOT due to 3 broken springs. The replacement of ALL springs and front drop links cost me over £900 at a Skoda dealer. All 3 must have broken over the previous 12 months, but I must admit I hit some horrendous (mostly water-filled) potholes when up in Scotland.

I had a rear spring break when nearly four old. Happened when going round a mini-roundabout. It made a loud crack noise at the time but drove normally afterwards. Picked up at MOT time some months later and had both rear springs replaced on recommendation.

I also had a rear spring snap a few weeks ago when going slowly over a speed bump. It snapped with a loud bang and I knew straight away what it must be. Had both rear springs replaced. I mentioned this in a previous post, as the garage originally put the wrong springs on the car. Never had a spring break in all my  numerous decades of driving before this one. 

There's been a few threads on this and the general consensus was it was down to a combination of low/poor quality steel + more potholes + speed humps = broken spring(s). 

I've had to replace at least one front spring and four front droplinks (3 on the one side) on the Scout. Cannot ever recall replacing springs on any of my previous vehicles all of which I kept up and beyond 90k.

• 10 months later...

Apologies for dragging up an old thread.

I heard a thud last night going over a speed bump and when I jacked up the car and looked this morning my rear offside spring has snapped around halfway on the coil. As its Easter weekend and doubtful I'll get anyone to sort it out before Tuesday or Wednesday (don't have time myself) should I park the car up or is it ok to be driven conservatively?

I've attached a photo of the broken spring. My car is a 2010 Octavia vrs.

IMG_1022.JPG

One reason why we have more cases of springs breaking is the coating around the outside of the springs.

Springs were coated with a layer of cadmium for its corrosion resistance ability.

But because cadmium is bad to eat ( and we all go around eating springs don't we :tongueout: ) they have banned it.

Suspension travel is also shorter than it was along with lower profile tyres, pot holes and speed humps.

All this makes the springs work harder than they used to leading to more of them breaking.

Thanks AG Falco

( Speed hump = you speed over it and then get the hump? )

28 minutes ago, markc1184 said:

Apologies for dragging up an old thread.

I heard a thud last night going over a speed bump and when I jacked up the car and looked this morning my rear offside spring has snapped around halfway on the coil. As its Easter weekend and doubtful I'll get anyone to sort it out before Tuesday or Wednesday (don't have time myself) should I park the car up or is it ok to be driven conservatively?

I've attached a photo of the broken spring. My car is a 2010 Octavia vrs.

IMG_1022.JPG

Get it replaced as soon as possible but if you need to keep using it then tie the two pieces together using four jubilee clips and take it to easy

Edited by CWARD

My front spring went whilst travelling on the M74 which at the time was undergoing 3 years of redevelopment, so I just thought it was debris that had been kicked into the wheel. Apart from the initial Bang! Rattle! Rattle! I didn't notice any real adverse effects to the ride  or handling. 

It was only picked up approximately 4 months later during a service. The service guy said I was extremely lucky the broken spring hadn't shredded the tyre during those four  months. 

If I had known the spring was broken, I wouldn't have driven the car until it was repaired. Which was exactly what I did when the front caliper stuck on the same wheel approximately a year later even though the garage I got towed to which,

according to Google Maps, was 

only 4 minutes and 0.7 miles away!

I just thought it wasn't worth the risk. 

I had one go exactly the same as in photos above last summer on way home from holiday just driving along a dual carriageway, no potholes etc. Spring snapped right in the middle where there was a 1 inch rusty section. Got it replaced within a couple of days. £40 for the spring and £20 fitting iirc.

• 4 years later...

Seems pretty common, especially rears.

Just broken one on my 59 plate Okty VRS - had one go on the 51 plate Elegance I had before that, and 2 go on the other 51 plate Elegance I had before that.
I do carry some load in the car - my tools get hauled about a lot in the boot but even though they're collectively maybe 70 kgs, that's considerably less load on the rear axle than 3 passengers plus luggage - so it's a bit annoying.

As ever, the guys at Unit 18 in Milton Keynes will no doubt sort it for me in their usual, efficient and friendly way - can't recommend Ali, Adam et al highly enough!