Police motorcyclists

cnc

Earlier today I was quite happily sitting on a dual carriageway when four police motorcycles suddenly appeared in my rear view mirror. Nothing odd in that, except they all had blue lights on – not flashing as they usually do but a solid blue colour permanently on.

I’ve never seen this before, if it was just one motorcycle I would have thought the electrics were playing up, but as all four were exactly the same they were obviously meant to be like this.

I was doing seventy in the outside lane and the leading motorcyclist flashed his headlight indicating they wanted to go past, so I pulled over and they disappeared up the road at quite a speed

Any ideas what these permanently on blue lights mean - is it the same as flashing blue lights?.

20 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

No prescribed limits but here is some of the info and it is amazing who can use them (like us in HMRC and many others)...

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/blue-light-use/  

It states emergency vehicles when on an emergency call cannot 'cross a solid white line down the middle of the road' - never knew that.

The mystery of the solid blue lights remains!.

Awayoffski, the amazing, disciplined, close formation, motorcycle display team that is the Purple Helmets. Brilliant show.

On 5/30/2017 at 21:11, cnc said:

It states emergency vehicles when on an emergency call cannot 'cross a solid white line down the middle of the road' - never knew that.

The mystery of the solid blue lights remains!.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the solid white part. Police drivers have 4 exemptions in law - speeding, red traffic lights and keep left bollards - none of those apply to police drivers (when the vehicle is being used for police purposes - including responding to non-emergency jobs) and seat belts for drivers/passengers.

We can ignore anything else if it would hinder our work, it is safe to do so and we can justify doing so (i.e no entry signs/solid white lines etc). Though if there's an accident because of it, expect to be prosecuted.

The blue lights can be used as DRLs on certain bikes and cars. They're seen more often on the continent and are known better as cruise lights - to make police vehicles more easily seen on patrol. 

Thats a fair point right @StevesTruck made..

Not one you think about very often, but yeah.. a constant blue strobe in yer wing mirror for miles/ hrs at a time would be head wrecking if not dangerous

Sorry confused. 

So Dipped Headlights can be used as DRL's.  & Indicators apply to Police Officers even if in a Jag, BMW, Audi, VW, Citroen, Vauxhall etc 

or on a BMW, Honda, or what ever, 

but some might not think so when you see these 'Highly Trained drivers',  or In Training and using flashing headlights to get out my bloody way around about Perth Stirling etc in White or Silver BMW's without using Blues.

So are the 'Cruising' to collect their lunch or supper lights 'Stealth Mode',  got to get a hurry on, Places to be, people to see, must be seen doing it while still 

just at or below the NSL's.?

• Like 1