Removal of drivers window switch trim?

You can follow this link to see for some supportive information: Workshop Manuals Drivers Door Trim Panel Removal

If this is the first time it is being pulled off, you will have to use quite a lot of force. When i did this to mine, it felt like i will brake it soon and with little bit of my usual luck, i would have :D

Be careful and know that it needs some force to come off.

Also since you are replacing your switch i want to let you know, that i was able to fix my switch by opening it and cleaning the contacts. You can try to do this and avoid buying a new switch :)

Yes, there's 6 clip points, you can check the photos below to figure out the mechism. I haven't removed them before, I think since you have to unclip them all, maybe at the same time, to prevent them clipping back, so special tools could be needed.

S96-0135.png.d23bd2898a0dbe0b6d898da32102043d.png

2864201881_944958434.jpg

On 6/13/2017 at 11:30, orangehand said:

Oh blimey! Now I can't work out how to get the switch module out of the trim (unless you need 6 hands to do it!) Any ideas?

22 hours ago, NOSDylan said:

Yes, there's 6 clip points, you can check the photos below to figure out the mechism. I haven't removed them before, I think since you have to unclip them all, maybe at the same time, to prevent them clipping back, so special tools could be needed.

S96-0135.png.d23bd2898a0dbe0b6d898da32102043d.png

2864201881_944958434.jpg

Yes, NOSDylan is correct. You need to unclip the pins. This can turn out to be quite tricky. In My case i tried to wiggle each out by damaging the plastic holding them in a little. By pushing them out and trying to pull each clip more and more upwards. You can also put some thin plastic between them that would prevent the pins from going back.

After this i was still able to secure the switch tightly.

PS. If i remember correctly, then the switch itself was secured in trim panel with pins. And same pins are also keeping switch together. So you might need to do this for both.

Remember to test the switch first, before assembling it all back :D.

You can also test the pins by shorting the metal circuit, where the metal switch is laid on. This will operate the switch function.

PS.2. In my case i had more difficult problem because the switch had not continuous connection. So i had to do some soldering, but in most cases this should not be necessary. If you are interested in more details, i can try to explain to you more.

Thanks all; I finally got the switch module out with the help of 2 blokes and 4 small screwdrivers. All done now, but I assume there must be a special tool to do this!!

Edited by orangehand

20 hours ago, orangehand said:

Thanks all; I finally got the switch module out with the help of 2 blokes and 4 small screwdrivers. All done now, but I assume there must be a special tool to do this!!

They are not supposed to be repaired. Hence, no tool. Maybe someone else has thought of a clever way to remove this type of clips in some other applications :)

• 2 months later...

Some more notes for anyone else after my successful repair:

Even though I'd looked at the Workshop Manuals link, Removing and installing the switch for the power window lifter I hadn't realised it's the whole handle and switch that comes out, which makes things a bit easier as you can then take it indoors.

I just worked round it gently with a screwdriver, you can hear it click as the clips free up.

Special tool required is an old credit card, cut into three short strips

I bent the surround out enough to get the strips between the surround and the base so you could see them through the holes, I put 3 on one side, then prised it out with a screwdriver from the other side

Then I prised out the grey panel from the base, you don't need to worry about removing the rockers from the top.

The circuit board and metal contacts for the front windows had loads of corrosion, I cleaned it all off, then swapped the front & back metal contacts.

Put it back in, and it's all working!

These are new wider strong 'clips', so when you have created an opening, then you must revert to stronger wide but slim priser trim tools... Don't be afraid to put slow strong pressure upwards, you may feel it's going to crack or damage the console but it will 'give' and SNAP out of each clip.

IMG-20170906-WA0002.jpg

I used a credit card for mine too. It had the added effect of ruining the card for future purchases. Had I known I'd have doubled the benefit by raiding the other half's purse instead of my wallet...

• 4 years later...

I found this was a perfect tool…stretched the casing enough to release module without affecting the interference fit. Perfect. Don’t tell the wife please 😁 #spatula

EEC42ADD-EB81-449B-BAB8-CABD225374DB.jpeg