Potential new VRS owner advice appreciated

I currently own a mk2 Fabia monte tsi 1.2. Whilst I like the car, I miss the power of my previous car/s and refinement. 

I was considering a Leon or Octavia and made up my mind on the Octavia, in VRS guise. I would appreciate some advice on the following:

1) Which would be better for me? (I will only do around 8000 miles per year and this is mainly short commutes, I am presuming TSI)

2) Is the facelift version much better, is it worth paying more for one than pre?

3) Do they come with touch screen media?

4) What is the real world mpg for a TSI?

On 8K pa I would say a petrol's the best bet....I get low to mid 30s out of my "TSi" (actually still called a TFSi in the brochure, but with TSi on the engine cover).  The FL has the TSi (ie cam chain engine) rather than the TFSi (cam belt engine). So you never have to change the cambelt, but beware the cam chain tensioner issues detailed on here.  I think the FL is a bit better standard equipped, but I can't recall specifics, apart from standard 18" wheels.   The FL has a touch screen and an SD card slot but the Bolero has never allowed the full capacity of a 32Gb card to be used for me, so . It also has a 6 CD changer (in dash) which may be of historic interest! Bluetooth was not available even as an option on the manual version for my model year. 

14 minutes ago, tubbytommy said:

mine is up for sale shortly, see my project thread.

you wont find a better specced vrs hatch and its also only done 56k

Looks very nice, if you dont mind me asking what reg is it and how much are you looking for?

The shorter trips are the killer. Lots of individual short trips, especially where the car has cooled down again are not great for modern diesels.

The standard fitment is the Bolero - touch screen, based on the VW RCD510 but laid out in green for skoda cars and called the Bolero. It is an ok unit. Bluetooth and MDI was not standard, nor was Sat Nav, different units were fitted for that.

I think the FL does look a bit more modern than the pre FL. The equipment is more up to date. FL should have Climate control, cruise control, 18 Neptunes as a minimum. Options for autolights and wipers, park distance control, maxidot etc.

The EA888 in the FL is a good engine to drive, probably better than the pre FL but budget a timing chain tensioner and chain replacement unless it is April 2012 or later manufactured. And there is the oil usage from poor design oil control rings that can also catch you out.  These affect all VAG group cars running different variants of the same engine, for example the Mk6 GTI, Audi Q5 et al.....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tubbytommy said:

Its a 2012 fsh with dsg fluid

4 new tyres and 12months mot.

Dude, that is a bargain. We all know how high spec and well looked after it is. I'm almost tempted to buy it and sell mine on instead :D

I have a TSI VRS and I get ~25mpg in the mornings where the traffic doesn't let me warm it up quickly. Coming home at 4:15, the traffic isn't as bad so I can throttle up a bit more.  I'll average ~34 mpg as there's still lots on the road.  On motorways, cruising 70-80, I'll average ~39-41mpg.  So, not great, but not bad really. 

If I were in the market for a new TSI Octy, I'd be snapping up tubby's without hesitation.  Whilst over my typical budget, you can count on it being looked after.  I tell you what; if I knew I could definitely get £6k for mine, I'd seriously look at taking it off you tubbytommy! :D

Edited by planehazza