Start-Stop real error!

Well, after a week with a new battery the error is back! Happened twice today at the end of journeys.

Checking the battery SOC and it shows 80 or 90% so maybe the battery and the start-stop were different issues?

I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow morning unless anyone has any other ideas?

IMG_20170622_171459.jpg

1 hour ago, wedge69 said:

Well, after a week with a new battery the error is back! Happened twice today at the end of journeys.

Checking the battery SOC and it shows 80 or 90% so maybe the battery and the start-stop were different issues?

I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow morning unless anyone has any other ideas?

What DTCs (fault codes) does a diagnostics scan (e.g. using VCDS) show?

I don't have any files or to do a reading unfortunately. The garage said they didn't find any faults when they ran the test. Unless the codes were lost when the battery died?

Thanks, Andyvee.

I can live with a fault with the system as long as it's not going to drain my battery and leave me stranded.

I'll speak to the dealer tomorrow and request that they check for codes, I'll show them the photo of the error too!

Unless anyone has VCDS near Gloucester?

Took the car in yesterday and it was reporting a ”module error". Didn't catch which module, sorry. Anyway, the module was working fine but the technician traced do a loose/broken wire and fixed that up.

Took about 45 minutes, didn't charge me anything. Hopefully that's it fixed now!

Should say, they reckon it wasn't related to the bag battery and that was just an unlucky coincidence.

Edited by wedge69
Extra info

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, I picked up my brand new RS 245 today and on driving it home from the dealership, got this error, "Error: start-stop system".  This occurred after a stall, just as approaching a stop, and after the dash message read, "start engine manually".  I then switched off start-stop with the button in from of the gear stick, but the car manages a stall again....

I was so happy to pick up and drive this car...just a bit bummed there is already problems on the first day :/  Maybe I should have bought the WRX instead...

Anyway, happy to find this forum. I live in Australia BTW so I hope you guys don't mind me participating.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I’ve the same sort of error but also have Engine Management Warning light on. Car runs fine, except for stop-start. Which is cause and which is effect? Is EM problem causing S-S to disable or S-S issue flagging up EM problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for my stalling issue, which I am NOT happy about:

The stalling seems to have been resolved, but I'm not happy about what the dealership have done to my car to achieve this.  Apparently, according to them, they did not do anything... aside from 'test drive' the car (and reset the 'adaptive learning' ecu) .

They admitted they could not duplicate the stalling when test driving, although I explained it only happens after the car is fully warmed up and been driving for 20mins or more.

Anyhow, the moment I picked up the car, I immediately started noticing things were not the same.  Starting the engine came with a strange 'whirring' sound.  It was idling rougher and seemed to lack the same power when driving then before dropping it off to the dealership. Almost like boost pressure has dropped a bit or maybe theres a leak in the intercooler or something. It just doesn't have the same 'punch' as before and is driving rougher.

Also, the brakes and clutch both feel like it was given an absolute beating - It basically feels like the car was stolen and thrashed and now has 100,000km on it... its driving rough and the clutch now feels clunky and jerky. Not smooth and cushioned how it was before.  The car only had 800km on it when I took it to them!  The brakes are feeling fcked too...

Of course they denied this, but I reckon the thrashing maybe somehow corrected what the issue was - perhaps the clutch position sensor or brake sensor was set too sensitive??   And maybe wearing both in violently somehow rectified the issue....

I have no idea but my car just doesn't feel or sound right anymore. It actually sounds like a diesel when I start it now

On ‎02‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 14:36, iamian said:

I’ve the same sort of error but also have Engine Management Warning light on. Car runs fine, except for stop-start. Which is cause and which is effect? Is EM problem causing S-S to disable or S-S issue flagging up EM problem?

Stop-Start Not Available or ACC Not Available will be displayed for almost all engine related faults.

The fact you have a MIL light says its an emissions related fault so should not be related directly to StopStart .

On 12/2/2017 at 21:42, DanRS245 said:

Hi guys, I picked up my brand new RS 245 today and on driving it home from the dealership, got this error, "Error: start-stop system".  This occurred after a stall, just as approaching a stop, and after the dash message read, "start engine manually".  I then switched off start-stop with the button in from of the gear stick, but the car manages a stall again....

I was so happy to pick up and drive this car...just a bit bummed there is already problems on the first day :/  Maybe I should have bought the WRX instead...

Anyway, happy to find this forum. I live in Australia BTW so I hope you guys don't mind me participating.

Cheers

This forum is very international 

Yes, it showed up when I was there but cannot recall the specific code.

The odd thing was the EM fault cleared from the display intermittently on 2-3 occasions between booking the car in and it arriving. Seemingly pretty random. 

• 2 months later...

Guys,

I've got the same problem since few months..but its not that severe. i just need to stop and restart the car with the key manually and its good to go.

I ran the diagnostic and following are the details of it

01 Engine

System description: R4 1,6L EDC  
    Software number: 04L906021M 
    Software version: 5517
    Hardware number: 04L907309B 
    Hardware version: H22
    ODX name: EV_ECM16TDI01104L906021M
    ODX version: 002009
    Long coding: 01110012032501090000

Trouble codes: 
        U045200 - Invalid Data Received From Restraints Control Module
            Intermittent

Any idea what may cause this silly problem? thank you in advance.

Hi Juan27

Didn't you have this issue with stop start and it was a known issue with the newer 245's, sure you posted a TPI for the error?

& DanRS245, where about in AUS? just so i dont got to the same dealer :biggrin:

16 hours ago, juan27 said:

Don't the AGM batteries only have a 3 year warranty in the aftermarket?

Varta AGM batteries have a 4 year warranty, other makes are available.

On 5/9/2018 at 09:42, SWBoy said:

Varta AGM batteries have a 4 year warranty, other makes are available.

Yes Exide, Bosch, Lion and Duracell all have 3 year warranties on Euro Car Parts. 

Edited by juan27