And On Day 6

Gutted...Sat at a set of traffic lights with 2 cars in front of me.....there is a DIY store to the right with a Corsa waiting  wanting to turn to the right.. in front of me....Being a kind soul; knowing noone let him out when the on-coming traffic came I decided to let him out in front of me ..

Wham.!! 

That was a Volvo XC60 hitting the back of me....Handbrake still on...

The result I nice chunk of paint missing and worst than that,,the rear bumper must have lifted and hit the leading edge of the boot...This forced the boot upwards and now I have a crease in the boot in the center about 10inch long....its slightly twisted within the crease.

I've filed it with my insurance company but as I have a 14 day cooling off period I also agreed with the guy who shunted me (he was lovely, very polite and couldn't apologies enough) To get a quote for repair

My lower back hurts a bit. (Old Injury) but I am not going to file for personal injury...These things happen.....30+ million cars on the road , some are bound to come in contact with each other

We shall see how we go from here, If its a repair and he is happy to pay. I am happy to go outside of insurance....in my mind it makes it more fair for each party....

After and Before Pictures....!!!!

IMG_20170623_163904.jpg

IMG_20170619_220855.jpg

Edited by Zenbasses

Oh b*ll*cks. Really feel for you on this - it's grim at any time, never mind after such a short period. I hope the repairs and dealings with the other driver go quickly and smoothly, and it's pristine again soon. Hope your back's OK too - as a genuine problem and not a fabricated whiplash thing, I don't think there'd be many who'd condemn you for making a perfectly legitimate claim. It's a shame the actions of the compo-scrotes shame people who are genuine into not wanting to claim sometimes.

• Like 1

Damn, sorry to hear that. I don't understand the insurance thing though. What does your 14 day cooling off period have to do with whether you lodge a claim or not? Since you've informed them of the accident your premiums will rise anyway, so you may as well get it done properly so to speak. That said, at least going direct you can control the process and ensure you get a body shop you're happy with. Make sure nothing's missed, as a bang like that can affect the boot floor, inner mountings and all kinds of things that cursory glance might miss. As for the back injury, keep an eye on it and don't discount it because (or even especially because) you had existing issues. Medical advice is always prudent, and if it does turn out to be a bona fide injury there's no shame in claiming as CheshireBumpkin says. All the best with getting it sorted out.

I got rear end shunted on the motorway recently.  My car (an Superb estate) seemed hardly damaged.  The offending car, a Corsa, is probably a write off.  When it went to the assessor at the body shop last week the assessor found much more damage than was visible.  Apart from the crease in the boot lid he said the impact bar behind the bumper needs replacing and the bumper will need reshaping.  It is expected to take a week!   So don't under estimate your damage! Furthermore as I was not to blame I insisted that the courtesy car be of similar standard as opposed to the roller skate you normally get.  Had a hell of a time fending off the appointed solicitors who wanted my wife and I to make a claim for injury.  (No injury sustained.)  No wonder our premiums are so steep!

Morning Everyone..

Well I did panic this morning as I woke up with really sore ribs....which confused me.. Turns out my partner fell over last night and elbowed me in the ribs.....I must have been tired as I didn't wake up :P

Car is going in on Monday afternoon for assessment/photographed and then will decided what is what...h

Back is a little sore on the bottom left hand side but as I have told the 4 companies who have phoned me so far..if it gets worst I'll go to the Dr/Hospital atm I am okay.....

Last year some drove into the rear of me when I had the S2.....It got classed as my fault as it was on a round about and I was merging onto it....totally was the other person's fault for not looking but there we are...

Total repair bill for his VW Golf was £450 for a new front bumper and headlight....total cost for me to repair the paint damage on my car ..£100.00.

Total Claimed - £3,680  as he put a injury claim against me which has crippled my insurance this year for a bump that occurred at <5mph....  I was livid as there is no way he would have substantial whip lash injuries..

The guy who hit me was totally sound and yes my back is a bit niggley at the best of times but thinking at what happened to me I don't find it appropriate to start go down that route unless it gets worst..

I've had worst falling over the dog...  :D

All The Best...

They may need to remove the bumper to check behind for damage.  Modern cars are designed to fold up on impact so as said above, it might be worse than it looks :blink:

The whiplash claims business is a con - and easy money for claimants - as it is pretty much impossible to disprove.  There was talk of banning all claims for less than 10mph.

55 minutes ago, FelisBengalensis said:

The whiplash claims business is a con - and easy money for claimants - as it is pretty much impossible to disprove.  There was talk of banning all claims for less than 10mph.

This true, however last year when I asked I got told it had been shelved because of everything Brexit.....they need to re-look at this IMHO....

11 hours ago, Zenbasses said:

Last year some drove into the rear of me when I had the S2.....It got classed as my fault as it was on a round about and I was merging onto it....totally was the other person's fault for not looking but there we are...

Total repair bill for his VW Golf was £450 for a new front bumper and headlight....total cost for me to repair the paint damage on my car ..£100.00.

Total Claimed - £3,680  as he put a injury claim against me which has crippled my insurance this year for a bump that occurred at <5mph....  I was livid as there is no way he would have substantial whip lash injuries..

Not sure i get this did you pull onto the roundabout while the other car was already on it?  Seems very dodgy to me. 

It's a 3 lane roundabout (straight on, to a shopping centre, back round... I looked to the right and saw 2 vans in separate lanes indicating right to go back round to the  mway and I  didn't see any traffic behind them.. I pulled out to go straight on which is the left hand lane and as I crossed the was the 3rd party who was behind vans that I didn't see.... I took it cautiously as it's a horrible roundabout but the guy hit me behind the dewar wheel drivers aside side on the bumper area. 

As a roundabout. I should have give way.. My fault... Annoyed as I was doing about 5mph as I had emerged onto the roundabout.... The vans pulled off and  boom...... 

Oh well 

Edited by Zenbasses

Seems extreme for a low speed knock, there should be some correlation between the amount of damage and the energy dissipated and the personal injury limits.  As you mention <5 mph how is it really possible that substantial whiplash can occur?  Maybe they also have problems stepping off a kerb! Bummer

On 24 June 2017 at 11:20, Zenbasses said:

Morning Everyone..

Well I did panic this morning as I woke up with really sore ribs....which confused me.. Turns out my partner fell over last night and elbowed me in the ribs.....I must have been tired as I didn't wake up :P

Car is going in on Monday afternoon for assessment/photographed and then will decided what is what...h

Back is a little sore on the bottom left hand side but as I have told the 4 companies who have phoned me so far..if it gets worst I'll go to the Dr/Hospital atm I am okay.....

The guy who hit me was totally sound and yes my back is a bit niggley at the best of times but thinking at what happened to me I don't find it appropriate to start go down that route unless it gets worst..

I've had worst falling over the dog...  :D

All The Best...

Were there any courtesy cars used? 

I was rear ended on the M4 last year and to my utter shock the loan car was £165 PER DAY !! It was a taxi though so i don't know if that upped the price or not. Still thought it was scandalous for a basic Rapid though.

Several years ago I was driving along a dual lane road in a traffic jam, avg speed was between 0 – 10mph. The guy to my right tried to pull into my lane, I was in his blind spot and he simply didn’t see me. I braked and swerved to my left (luckily there was a little room and given our speed I stopped almost immediately), my OSF bumper touched his NS passenger door. We stopped, exchanged details, he apologised, all was very friendly, damage to both cars amounted to minor scratches.

We agreed it wasn’t worth going through insurance but two days later I got a call, he was making a claim against me….

I said it was his fault, he said it was mine (claimed I was overtaking illegally on the inside). Believe it or not but this went to court.!

During the brief before the case, my solicitor informed me that 5 months after the incident took place, this guy went to his doctor saying he hurt his arm and shoulder in the accident. The doctor provided a letter advising that the symptoms described by his patient were consistent with injuries that would be caused in this type of accident (the doctor only had his patient’s description of the accident). My insurance company paid out £2000 for these personal injuries.!

When I questioned my solicitor he said it would be impossible to prove either way if he had sustained these injuries and therefore, it was cheaper for them to simply pay the two grand than it was to fight it.!

Just to add insult to injury, bizarrely, the judge overseeing the case ruled it to be 50/50. We put forward a strong, honest and consistent case, the other guy changed his mind twice during questioning…

The whole thing, which dragged on for almost a year, left me feeling very disappointed in the system and still bugs me to this day.

As others have said, have your car checked thoroughly because with this type of accident there could be unseen damage. I hope you manage to get it all sorted without too much hassle or inconvenience.

You have my sympathy.  I spent a significant part of my working life challenging dubious Union backed insurance claims where insurers were prepared to pay for "economic" reasons.  Sadly, the problem continues.

Zenbasses, I feel for you.  See below, mt VRS was hit a few days before the lease was up.  My insurers were rubbish, telling me that it may go 50/50 despite being hit centrally in the rear whilst stationery.  Look at the damage and then the first page (of 6) of the part/work invoice for a small shunt. It's rediculous! The whole insurance industry is full of parasites who encourage dishonest claims.  If I am asked one more time by the solicitors assigned to my accident if I have uninsured losses or injuries I will scream. If you're genuinely injured then claim and don't feel guilty.     You should do what's right for you and remember, no matter how nice the Volvo driver was, you owe them nothing.  Now the insurers have been made aware of the accident, you should declare it at renewal regardless of whether a claim is made.  I'm sure they'll have a record of it.

bumper.jpg

car 4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya All,

A quick update.......I spoke to my insurance company again as the 3rd party stated that I was claiming for whiplash. that is what  they explained to the guy that hit me.. I said No, that is incorrect. I stated to the insurance company my lower back was a bit sore, and when I spoke to them last it has since gone away. I did not seek medical attention nor I am hampered by the event.

When I spoke to my company they kindly supplied me with the details they sent to 3rd parties insurance company..(basically I called them liars to obtain this), everything in the document sent is as stated yet his company as said I am claiming for whiplash......hmmmmmmmmmzz no pain to neck or shoulders and spine etc etc doesn't sound like whiplash to me. 

So this is a classic case of insurance companies upping to anti and actually to the decrement of their customers...totally disgusting.. I had the option from my side to cancel any PIC within 14 days... I said No, I want it documenting that my back was sore for a few days but is now fine.....It needs to be true to the fact and not misleading..,

3rd party think I am pulling a fast one, to which I replied.. all phone calls are recorded and documented...........................NOTHING i have stated is inaccurate or made up.....

They have since re-wrote to his insurance company stating I've made a complaint about proceedings....

Still waiting to hear back..

Secondly, my car went in today for repair......under insurance as the the few companies I contacted for quotes (that the 3rd party was happy to pay) to have it fixed were merely going to fill it and spray it.. NO WAY...I just spent a small fortune on the car.. I want it fixing right.....

So I dropped it off today and received in return a White Vauxhall Bathtub ( Insignia)...what a piece of **** it is..I'd rather have a Fiesta.......Got this for circa 10 days now......

We will see what happens going forward....

Edited by Zenbasses

Day 3 with the Vauxhall bathtub.. And it's driving me round the bend 

• The steering seems to have a vat of treacle attached to it and is really heavy that it actually hurts your forearms after prolonged driving 
  • The seats are rock hard and offer no support laterally. 
  • The electronic hand brake is dimwitted and is totally useless on a manual car. 
  • The speakers in the car sound like they are a Tandy special
  • The boot is useless and the size of a match box 
  • The electric boot take 30second to open and refused to open by the key unless you are within 2 meters of the car. Yet will unlock from a further distance. 
  • The central console moves every time you change gear 
  • The cup have auto sizing so when I taken my Bodum travel mug out of the cup holder it makes a nasty slap noise
  • The instance mpg just lies... 
  • Then engine had no go at all if in 3rd and going just below 30mph
  • It rattles the interior going over pot holes 
  • The engine vibrates the steering wheel constantly.
  • Its noisy on the motorway 
  • It's a tank round town 
  • The electric lumber support doesn't make any difference. 
  • There is no sunglasses holder 
  • No where to store your phone unless you put it in the armrest and then it fills it and bangs from side to side when you go round corners.  You can put your phone in the cup holders or door pockets but then the banging is amplified even more 
  • The wing mirrors auto close on locking but do not reopen when the car is started again.. So you have to press the button. 
  • It bongs at me telling me I am exceeding the speed limit when  a 30mph road changes to a higher speed half way through.
  • It bongs at you if you haven't put your seat belt on when you open the car and start it but haven't actually moved anywhere. 

I could go on... For days 

Edited by Zenbasses

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 21:16, Zenbasses said:

Day 3 with the Vauxhall bathtub.. And it's driving me round the bend 

• The steering seems to have a vat of treacle attached to it and is really heavy that it actually hurts your forearms after prolonged driving 
  • The seats are rock hard and offer no support laterally. 
  • The electronic hand brake is dimwitted and is totally useless on a manual car. 
  • The speakers in the car sound like they are a Tandy special
  • The boot is useless and the size of a match box 
  • The electric boot take 30second to open and refused to open by the key unless you are within 2 meters of the car. Yet will unlock from a further distance. 
  • The central console moves every time you change gear 
  • The cup have auto sizing so when I taken my Bodum travel mug out of the cup holder it makes a nasty slap noise
  • The instance mpg just lies... 
  • Then engine had no go at all if in 3rd and going just below 30mph
  • It rattles the interior going over pot holes 
  • The engine vibrates the steering wheel constantly.
  • Its noisy on the motorway 
  • It's a tank round town 
  • The electric lumber support doesn't make any difference. 
  • There is no sunglasses holder 
  • No where to store your phone unless you put it in the armrest and then it fills it and bangs from side to side when you go round corners.  You can put your phone in the cup holders or door pockets but then the banging is amplified even more 
  • The wing mirrors auto close on locking but do not reopen when the car is started again.. So you have to press the button. 
  • It bongs at me telling me I am exceeding the speed limit when  a 30mph road changes to a higher speed half way through.
  • It bongs at you if you haven't put your seat belt on when you open the car and start it but haven't actually moved anywhere. 

I could go on... For days 

The above list should help us all appreciate our Superbs even more!

On 11/07/2017 at 22:49, Zenbasses said:

Secondly, my car went in today for repair......under insurance as the the few companies I contacted for quotes (that the 3rd party was happy to pay) to have it fixed were merely going to fill it and spray it.. NO WAY...I just spent a small fortune on the car.. I want it fixing right.....

So I dropped it off today and received in return a White Vauxhall Bathtub ( Insignia)...what a piece of **** it is..I'd rather have a Fiesta.......Got this for circa 10 days now......

We will see what happens going forward....

fill it and spray it? what sort of cowboys have you been talking to :o I've not heard of this for years

you have my sympathies with regards to the Insignia, I used to own a fairly high specced one a few years ago (59 plate) and thought it was great for the first 6 months...

then the rattles / wind noises / terrible sat nav / heavy steering / lack of space for such a massive car etc etc started to grind me right down....

I swapped it for a Megane sport tourer 'GT-Line' which was a bit basic but had insane handling and was great fun. It was very well built too with no rattles / failures in 2 yrs of ownership

Then I bought my Superb in Feb, which feels like a Maybach in comparison to both :biggrin:

sorry to hear about the probs you're having, hope you're back in the Superb soon :)

Edited by drewellis

Happy days I got my car back from the repairers..

Boot looking good and the whole bumper has been re-sprayed..

Great Stufff..

Apart from it was returned FILITH DIRTY, to the point I had to go home and wash it straight away as the rain on the way home just smeared the windscreen. So I got the Karcher out and gave it a good blast, that when  I noticed that on the drivers and passenger door and along the bottom sill there is what appears to be white paint. In a fine mist and when I scrape it with my finger it on there , rock solid.

I have got hold of the customer service team who have advised they have spoken to the body shop manager and they have looked at the photos and reckon its actually polishing compound..

Hmmz

I guess it could be polishing compound, and if it turns out to be as such then they need a lesson or 2 about using a DA or Rotary polisher with far too much product on.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sbhecHuMNCPy4t7G2

Here are some pictures,  we do we reckon,  paint/primer  or polishing compound....??..

Also I could hear a rattling coming from the back of the car, root cause.... One of the screws that holds the number plate on was just jammed in at an angle and the number plate just moves freely.

They have offered to take a look, I totally understand its all minor stuff and tbh a clay bar and some detailing spray would clear it all up and I could get my screwdriver out and sort the number plate out...but its the principle of it...

The saga continues...

IMG_20170719_164237.jpg

Is it possible to actually get a paint job done properly first time ? When I had my bumper sprayed they took the car back... 3 times if I remember correctly.... When I said take it back I was stood outside and the guy who did the job kept having to drive it back round to the paint shop ... Every time he came back I pointed out an imperfection and off he went again... Useless ... I guess its because 95% of the population wouldn't even look properly. I was down on my hands and knees lol !

Looks like overspray to me, one of our friends is a professional detailer and he does a lot of overspray/fallout removal work, I've seen this before. 

I'd be very shocked if it's polishing compound, even if they use too much it doesn't normally collect like that, it gathers at the edges/creases. And unless it's been left there for a week it should come off very easily with a cloth...