What's this connected to the fusebox??

Does anyone recognise this connection in the fusebox. I know its not OEM guessing its from a Parrot system or something. I suppose I should take the panels off under the dash and have a look but thought I'd try asking first.

IMG_1656.JPG

Part of one of those 'spy on your driving' systems favoured by young drivers and their insurers.

There'll be another plastic box about the size of a matchbox at the end of that cable, probably wired in via an inline fuse into the light switch, for power.

Delete.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

Thats interesting, the previous owners were in their 30s with kids and the one before was a company exec in charge of a large garden centre chain, so strange they would have had a black box fitted. Still, thats my job for tomorrow to disconnect it if it hasn't already been unplugged. Are the insurers who own it likely to be able to still see the data?

PO of my Polo had one, and she was in her thirties. If you don't mind the intrusion, it's just a route to cheaper insurance.

I'd imagine it will carry on transmitting data indefinitely. Whether anyone's receiving/recording it is another matter.

Edited by Wino

@Wino Yeah I suppose, if it brings down the insurance and your only pottering around sensibly its probably worth it. Plus side I know its probably not been ragged around.

@hutchysrs50 No Im not concerned about it lol, Just recently bought the car and I'm not insured until end of week on it so its been sat on my drive. 

Be prepared for a lot more topics on here lol as I discover more things to ask about the car :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wino said:

Yup.

That and the starter solenoid wire seem to afflict most of the diesels and quite a lot of the petrols; just a matter of time.

I noticed when i did all the front suspension bushes that the alternator cable had been extended and repaired so was pleased about that. 

Got to get a second key immobilizer coded and also get someone with VCDS to alter the central locking to unlock all doors together as its driving me mad having to press the button repeatedly 

Ha, that annoyed me for about 13 years with wife's previous Polo, but I left it to maybe keep her safer when out at night!  I do still see that she still double clicks her current Polo still and it does not have that feature enabled, maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks - I'll regret writing that!

8 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

Ha, that annoyed me for about 13 years with wife's previous Polo, but I left it to maybe keep her safer when out at night!  I do still see that she still double clicks her current Polo still and it does not have that feature enabled, maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks - I'll regret writing that!

It was the first time I've used VCDS for anything other than fault diagnosis.  Unfortunately, I'm not immediately finding a way to disable the auto-locking thing.  Searching on google brought up your username on another forum, but in reference to a much newer car I think. 

Anyone know how it's done on the Fabia Mk1/Polo 9N platform?

Does that get rid of the absurd auto-locking that happens when you open the boot but don't open a door, whereupon the alarm goes off because the fecking boot is still open (obviously)!

Just because you CAN do a thing does not mean it's a good idea and that you should do it Skoda.

Dunno, that hasn't happened to me with the Polo, and the Fabia doesn't have an alarm.

The thing I just disabled is where it locks all the doors as you go over about 10mph after setting off. Doesn't unlock until you hit the unlock button on the door or pull out the key. PITA mainly.

Edited by Wino

just bought a gendan vcds lite cable so if I buy the full version of lite will I be able to make those central locking changes or do you need the full version?

would also like to enable locking chirp so I know its been locked.

My first experience of the "locked hatch" happened when I was using my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza and I was stopped driving into work passed security (defense type solutions supplier so a bit hotter than normal on security at times), security man could not open the hatch when I told him it was okay to do so, eventually I had to get out of the car - and of course opening the driver's door unlocks it, I think that I learned something new about that car that car! It still catches me out now and again and annoys wifie who is left holding lots of shopping bags in the rain until I wake up and unlock it.  Wife's new Polo, for some obscure reason, because my latest car has "auto locking/unlock" I decided that that was the way forward for all the cars, new Polo came without it so that was a new challenge finding out how to sort that out as Carista etc had not been working on that yet, job done on that car, so when I bought Carista to replace my old Gendan scan tool that I used to carry in the car, as all my current cars became too new for it, first job was to add "auto locking/unlocking" to the late 2009 Ibiza! So really each to their own ideas I suppose, I just fell for the "it has not got that feature enabled - I must change that".  I've just successfully retro fitted front parking sensors into my 2011 S4 all done as per what it would be if factory fitted, but at at least a higher cost on parts alone included buying used via ebay! I needed a few cups of tea and many hours before I could commit myself to taking the front bumper off and cutting holes in it, just another of life's challenges - maybe! Far too much stuff hiding in the boot and under the dash of these cars.

Edited by rum4mo

Ripped the blackbox out, whoever installed it had made a right mess of the installation. Most of the screws were missing from the dashboard panel, plastic had been ripped and damaged and the neat wiring to the headlight switch had been hacked apart and some wires wrapped round and soldered in place. To finish it off nicely electrical tape wound over everything.

Also, the pipe to the air conditioned drivers compartment was not even attached.

Wouldn't want one of those boxes fitted for this reason alone that they could cause so much damage fitting them let alone being tracked my every move!

IMG_1669.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

The laughable irony of insurance companies fitting these boxes to encourage safer driving to lower premiums whilst the shoddy installation leaves the risk of a fire in the car. Hmmmm,

There was a(n added) fuse close to the splice into the positive supply, right? If so, in the circumstances of the installer probably being given a target time of about 20 minutes to fit this set-up, I wouldn't say that's particularly shoddy or dangerous, TBH. (The missing screws and broken plastics are very poor though, access much easier on the Polo, no such damage on mine).

Edited by Wino

The fusebox wasn't even screwed in properly obvious they had undone the screws holding the panel in to feed some wires through and never bothered refitting them. I'd never seen such a shoddy bit of wiring done by a professional although they might be on a tight schedule its not really an excuse when most drivers who have these boxes would be paying quite a lot anyway on their premium.

Anyway glad its out and i got an opportunity to clean all the dust under that panel :biggrin:

Edited by clarendon462
  • Like 2