Emmisions "Fix" and Rip Off Britain

The Hood

Interesting point made above that as most cars are bought on PCP that the "update" to the more emission compliant mapping can be done without the Personal Contract Plan person's permission.

Whether the bulk of the cars that were suppose to have the "fix" are still on PCP.  I suspect most will get done as it is entirely routine to update the software as a matter of course.

It appears that the introduction of zones both cities and entire countries, where diesels cannot go and nice cash incentives to move to electric will be the carrot and stick rather than tweaking the existing stock so the closer to complying or mechanically fail so it is cheaper to move on. 

11 hours ago, Ryeman said:

It'd be ironic if they got into trouble for reinstalling the 'cheat' they'd illegally removed.......hahaha

Well the DVSA have been notified of a few and some people are talking to solicitors. Members of the FB group are recommending others to go to court over it. DVSA have been advising owners to address the issue to VW HQ and Willis to sort out and trying not to get involved, but I think they are going to have to act as some fixed cars are simply stalling at junctions without any warning - no lights or limp mode and, strangely and worryingly, no recorded error codes. Others have gone into limp mode at high speed on motorways for no obvious reason. The safety defect reports going to DVSA cannot be ignored and I think that sort of thing is going to get the honest techy types to act, irrespective of political pressure from Grayling et al

• Like 1

Lots of activity on the The Volkswagen Diesel Customer Forum (Emissions Scandal) (on facebook).

BBC Watchdog are doing a piece on the problems at 20:00 Weds 12th

Edited by vegit8

In view of all the issues with the 1.6 engine, upon receipt of my recall letter I wrote to Skoda UK and asked them to confirm that they would remove the fix at their cost if it proved problematical. They refused so they clearly are not confident. Needless to say I wont be having it done given the reports of it rapidly sooting up the EGR valve . I have already had to have an EGR replaced at 40K and cannot afford to have another go as it cost a fortune.  As an aside has anyone experineced problems after an EGR valve replacement. My fuel consumption has increased by about 5 mpg since it was fitted.

Edited by roomsterfan

1 hour ago, roomsterfan said:

In view of all the issues with the 1.6 engine, upon receipt of my recall letter I wrote to Skoda UK and asked them to confirm that they would remove the fix at their cost if it proved problematical. They refused so they clearly are not confident. Needless to say I wont be having it done given the reports of it rapidly sooting up the EGR valve . I have already had to have an EGR replaced at 40K and cannot afford to have another go as it cost a fortune.  As an aside has anyone experineced problems after an EGR valve replacement. My fuel consumption has increased by about 5 mpg since it was fitted.

All the VAG brands say they cannot remove the fix and I have seen no case of it being done by a dealer. There has been a suggestion that the dealers cannot flash the ECU to a lower version number with the kit they use, but chip tuners can if they have the original image However, there are many different versions. It is probably worth plugging in a code reader and checking which version you are now on for future reference. There have been several cases of dealers doing the update without consent and even when the car was in for something else.

5 hours ago, roomsterfan said:

Accessibility, lack thereof, of the EGR cooler valve is the achilles heel for cheap long term ownership.

Unfortunately VAG seem to think it's actually an opportunity to increase profit margins dealing with the issue outside the warranty period. Accessibility is such an obvious problem simply ignored.

• Like 1

I think you are bang on the money with your comment. Stupid or deliberate design flaw. A friend with a Peugot had an EGR replaced for just over £200. Mine cost £850 and I shopped around. Some were quoting £950. When they first started out Skoda seemed to make a real effort to get customer loyalty but now they are totally "corporate" and the customer is just a cash cow. 

Any thoughts about the increase in fuel consumption since the replacement was fitted?

1 minute ago, roomsterfan said:

I think you are bang on the money with your comment. Stupid or deliberate design flaw. A friend with a Peugot had an EGR replaced for just over £200. Mine cost £850 and I shopped around. Some were quoting £950. When they first started out Skoda seemed to make a real effort to get customer loyalty but now they are totally "corporate" and the customer is just a cash cow. 

Any thoughts about the increase in fuel consumption since the replacement was fitted?

Did they do the fix while they were doing the EGR?.

No, it didn't go to an official Skoda dealer because my two local ones are rubbish. It was actually done by a dealer who lost the franchise because they couldn't or wouldn't shell out for all the fancy showrooms but they still had all the trained mechanics. They definitely didn't do the remedial work. 

4 hours ago, gadgetman said:

VAG will apparently cover the cost of EGR failures for 2 years after the fix according to watchdog. 

Interesting to those who got stung for £800+ previously for a new cooler unit 

I take it that warranty extension only applies to the ones that have been 'fixed'........hmmm

I understand the VAG are now paying for the customer to have the car retuned if it was fitted with a post production remap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in germany

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2017 at 23:16, Ryeman said:

Accessibility, lack thereof, of the EGR cooler valve is the achilles heel for cheap long term ownership.

Unfortunately VAG seem to think it's actually an opportunity to increase profit margins dealing with the issue outside the warranty period. Accessibility is such an obvious problem simply ignored.

I had my egr replaced today, no info except drive at 3000 rpm for 20 mins or more to clean the egr every month.

• 3 weeks later...

From the States

http://www.dw.com/en/detroit-court-40-month-jail-term-for-vw-worker/a-40245079

Business

Detroit court: 40-month jail term for VW worker

A court in Detroit has sentenced the first VW employee in connection with the German carmaker's diesel emissions-cheating scandal. James Liang was handed a 40-month prison term after pleading guilty to conspiracy.

Watch video 01:19

VW engineer gets three-year jail sentence

Volkswagen's longtime engineer James Liang was sentenced to 40 months in prison and a $200,000 (169,000-euro) fine in Detroit Friday after he had confessed to playing a part in the German carmaker's large-scale emissions-cheating scandal.

• 1 month later...

I heard that the UK is the biggest customer of all German cars Produced... So is this literally just our Goverment not acting in our interests? We are leaving Brexit why was the whole Vag Scandal not used as a bargaining tool? 

Seems these day the UK just bends over to Germany... they did lose the war didn't they? 

4 minutes ago, FromTheDarkness said:

I heard that the UK is the biggest customer of all German cars Produced... So is this literally just our Goverment not acting in our interests? We are leaving Brexit why was the whole Vag Scandal not used as a bargaining tool? 

Seems these day the UK just bends over to Germany... they did lose the war didn't they? 

I wish we were leaving brexit but I don't think that is what you mean!

When we go to Germany we see they did very well over the years, far higher standard of living, better infrastructure etc.

Asked a German once how they managed to get double decker trains - his answer "you bombed all out bridges for us, so we built them back twice as high"

34 minutes ago, S00perb said:

I wish we were leaving brexit but I don't think that is what you mean!

When we go to Germany we see they did very well over the years, far higher standard of living, better infrastructure etc.

Asked a German once how they managed to get double decker trains - his answer "you bombed all out bridges for us, so we built them back twice as high"

Rofl - leaving brexit - Thats politically incorrect!

They had no army for decades, thus never wasted millions/ billions on self appointed keeps of the world

- They had less debt than us after the last world war, i think i am right in thinking we still are paying debt to America from world war 2?

- They lead EU, i would be very surprised if the Germans have not been creaming that off, we know they will do "what ever it takes" (vag).  - Will come out in 20 years when all involved have popped their clogs.

Edited by FromTheDarkness

On 16/07/2017 at 17:53, roomsterfan said:

"Fix" done in February, EGR replaced end of July but continuing to cause problems - EGR fault light keeps coming back on, garage keep resetting it and then it's back on again a couple of days later.  Frustrating, annoying for everyone involved.  Fuel consumption has increased by about 5mpg, and engine fan comes on more often.  Sincerely wish I hadn't had this "fix" done. 

My Sept 2015 Octavia vRS diesel seems to regenerate about twice a week now. Roaring fan for about 10 mins after switch off, higher tick over revs, very hot smell, and a significant increase in fuel consumption whilst 'cleaning'.

Just saying and sharing my observation.

I do approx 15,000 miles per annum, of mixed driving. 

Haven't had any issues with any blockages in 19,000 miles though.

I will definitely NOT keep this car beyond its warranty period

Edited by Adenuf

On 07/10/2017 at 12:41, janesdsg said:

"Fix" done in February, EGR replaced end of July but continuing to cause problems - EGR fault light keeps coming back on, garage keep resetting it and then it's back on again a couple of days later.  Frustrating, annoying for everyone involved.  Fuel consumption has increased by about 5mpg, and engine fan comes on more often.  Sincerely wish I hadn't had this "fix" done. 

St Davids Pembs? If so, was it Fred Rees garage and did they advise or discuss the update before it was applied?

1 hour ago, WestWalesAndy said:

St Davids Pembs? If so, was it Fred Rees garage and did they advise or discuss the update before it was applied?

Yes it was Fred Rees and no they didn't discuss the update or give me any advice before it was applied.