What's causing my drive belt woes?

Has anyone experienced this with their drive/ auxiliary/ alternator belt? The belt seems to be sitting half on the tensioner, causing the tensioner to cut it. I've already suffered a snapped belt over the weekend and I know it'll happen again in time. I've risked driving it a couple of miles and it doesn't seem to move any more than it already has, and I've put it back on.

I've bought a new belt and tensioner, but thought I'd ask on here if someone's come across this before and fixed it. I don't want to replace the tensioner if it's not needed, I can take it back to the shop if it isn't fitted and get my money back.

I'm guessing the other fault could be the alternator pulley?

If it helps, the car's a 2006 VRS.

IMG_9325.JPG

IMG_9312.JPG

The alt turns freely in both directions. I'm going to bite the bullet and change the tensioner later today. If it isn't fixed after that, I'll treat it as preventative maintenance. 

10 minutes ago, mattg88 said:

The alt turns freely in both directions. I'm going to bite the bullet and change the tensioner later today. If it isn't fixed after that, I'll treat it as preventative maintenance. 

Yeah, that's really not useful information, the alternator pulley MUST freewheel if you spin it hard then grip it in one direction, it's like a silent bicycle freewheel. Test it properly.

I have had 2 new tensioner arms in the last 10 months. The first one didn't even last 8 months and cut 2 belts but the second one seems to be ok so far (but has only been on a few months.) In my old job I worked around 1.5 hours away so I couldn't afford the time to change mine, I got a garage to complete the work.

I agree with @sepulchrave it would appear the tensioner arm might be shot. If you are gonna go to a garage just make sure you get warranty for the work, as mine cut the belt with no squeaking or anything.

I also have a 2006 VRS. 

The alternator pulley won't cause it to track like that - if the freewheel pulley is seized it will usually cause the tensioner to bounce and eventually break (remember too that the alt pulley is grooved to accept the belt, so how can it track across?). Something is out of line in the FEAD system, causing it to track, possibly missing a spacer behind the tensioner, or it's the wrong one. Get a straight edge across the face of the pulleys and check them that way for alignment.

I thought the alternator pulley being knackered may cause the wheel to go out of alignment when under tension? Anyway... I looked at the alignment and the tensioner did seem out, so I swapped it and it seemed to align a lot better. I ran the engine for 5 mins, wiggled everything and it all seems good. Seemed an easy fix in the end, now for the MOT! :sweat:

Thanks for all the advice everyone