Safety Problem with the lane assist and ACC

Got the 280 4x4 LK estate earlier in the year. Grrreat car. Very fast and comfy. Still figuring it out (see other two posts just now). One thing is worrying me though...

When slowing down, the engine switches off and the steering locks up momentarily before stopping. I'm wise to it now but just wondering if anyone else has spotted this. I first noticed the danger of it as I was slowing down to dead slow to make a tricky manoeuvre. It was VERY unhelpful. The fix requires a software update, but wanted to see if other have experienced similar before I kick up a fuss with Skoda.

I spotted some Aussies were talking about updating their TJA with a software update. They mentioned a much improved self steering at low speeds with "Lane Guidance". Anyone updated their software recently?

That sounds like a problem I used to have, which in my case was pure driver-error. In my previous car I'd got into the bad habit of knocking the car into neutral and then coasting / braking gently to the point where I braked fully to stop. Of course, with start / stop, putting the car in neutral and lifting your foot off the clutch (if manual) will cause the engine to cut out.

56 minutes ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

That sounds like a problem I used to have, which in my case was pure driver-error. In my previous car I'd got into the bad habit of knocking the car into neutral and then coasting / braking gently to the point where I braked fully to stop. Of course, with start / stop, putting the car in neutral and lifting your foot off the clutch (if manual) will cause the engine to cut out.

It's not just manuals, it does it with the auto 'box too. At least mine does.

It does cut the engine a second or two before stopping.  The steering feels like it 'locks' but its just the assistance cutting out - you can still steer its just stiffer and if you do yank the wheel around the engine will restart.  It is slightly disconcerting at first but you'll get used to it.  Or you can deactivate the start/stop system which will prevent it from happening

I don't really understand why this happens.  With electric power assistance it should be possible to have assisted steering without the engine running, shouldn't it?

4 hours ago, Enobar said:

It does cut the engine a second or two before stopping.  The steering feels like it 'locks' but its just the assistance cutting out - you can still steer its just stiffer and if you do yank the wheel around the engine will restart.  It is slightly disconcerting at first but you'll get used to it.

Or you can deactivate the start/stop system which will prevent it from happening

1. +1

2. -1, better find lighter pressure on the break pedal to prevent Start-Stop at particular cases

11 hours ago, Huge247 said:

The fix requires a software update

Latvian dealer told there isn't updates for my 2016.02 :(

interested on that fixes:

1. prevent Start-Stop while car is in motion

2. leave rear brakes immediately without countdown 1,2,3

3. Start/Stop symbol covers Gears/Drive mode symbol in Max dot, on few months later it is moved left

4. Unresponsive touchscreen of Columbus at first minute

8 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

7 hours ago, Jaytip said:

It's not just manuals, it does it with the auto 'box too. At least mine does.

6 hours ago, Enobar said:

It does cut the engine a second or two before stopping.  The steering feels like it 'locks' but its just the assistance cutting out - you can still steer its just stiffer and if you do yank the wheel around the engine will restart.  It is slightly disconcerting at first but you'll get used to it.  Or you can deactivate the start/stop system which will prevent it from happening

Is this just the start/stop cutting in? 

I had it for the first few days until i started switching the S/S off at the start of the each journey. I will at some point get it programmed out permanently.

11 minutes ago, Coops said:

Is this just the start/stop cutting in? 

I had it for the first few days until i started switching the S/S off at the start of the each journey. I will at some point get it programmed out permanently.

Sorry, should have added, yes that's with the S/S activated.

6 hours ago, simhub said:

I don't really understand why this happens.  With electric power assistance it should be possible to have assisted steering without the engine running, shouldn't it?

Hello J, the steering power assistance is electric, this is turned off when the engine stops (alternator not producing power to the battery) to prevent excess drain on the battery. The power steering pump is a very high power consumer.

The electrics in these 'Micro - Hybrids' are REALLY sensitive - for sensitive, read touchy.

You can control the stop/start function to a degree with a lighter touch on the brake pedal. It takes a bit of finesse, but you will soon learn how much pressure you can put on the pedal before the S/S kicks in.

I'm not sure if the start stop system is quite a bit smarter than we think, perhaps it knows what the radar is seeing... I have this problem described in the thread, but I've noticed that when coming up behind a stationary car the engine will cut out 9 times out of 10 before I've even stopped fully, whereas when for example coming to a stop at a T junction with no car in front, the engine will only cut out if enough pressure is applied to the brake pedal once stopped. 

My car is at the dealers tomorrow so I'll ask

Edited by drewellis

The start/stop will cut the engine at 3 miles per hour when you slow down unless you use a very light touch on the brake. then when stationary a full press on the brake will stop the engine.

My sons octavia does this as well.

But if you don't stop very gently, most times it'll cut out because the pressure on the pedal required to stop without crashing just so happens to cut the engine out...

This happens often to me at roundabouts