19 or 18's

Hello, looking to order another VRS; however unsure if I should stick with 18 inch wheels or go for 19 inch with the black edition pack.

Has anybody gone from 18 to 19, if so did you notice a difference to ride, handling noise etc?

I have ordered a 245 with STD 19s but felt DCC was an essential option. Time will tell if l bother adjusting it frequently of course. I did consider a Golf R and would have gone for the standard 18s (and no DCC) in that case.

I watched some comparison video 19/18/17 test on VW Golf 7 GTD sam tire brand. Long story short 18 was the best option for comfort, sport, grip, ...

Edited by Croat

19s look great, but tyres can be quite a lot more £ than 18s, and wheels are more prone to kerbing. 

Given a choice, I'd take 18s. 

1 hour ago, dunc69 said:

19s look great, but tyres can be quite a lot more £ than 18s

Don't perpetuate this myth... The price difference in tyres between 18" and 19" is negligible.

Same goes for the level of comfort, but I agree the 19" are more damage prone.

On the track, you really feel the extra weight, but I have no regrets about choosing the 19s on this car - you just need to see them in the flesh and you are sold :)

BTW, I watched the same video @Croat mentioned and the difference between 18 and 19 was quite small - this bigger difference was 17 to 18.

I went from 17s to 19s when I changed to the Superb 3 - I've noticed the ride is harsher but I expected that anyway.

In terms of price differential, just done a quick check of 235/45R18 vs 235/40R19 and it's £50 per tyre different (£135.15 vs £188.18) - Pirelli P7.

In the Octavia, the stock 19" size is 225/35/19, but that is not a too common size - go with 235/35/19 and the ride will be more comfortable and the tyres cheaper.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Coops said:

just done a quick check of 235/45R18 vs 235/40R19

its 225/40R18 and 225/35R19 as standard I think?

14 minutes ago, juan27 said:

its 225/40R18 and 225/35R19 as standard I think?

Yes but price differential is going to be similar.

Same brand again - Pirelli:

18s - P6 Cinturato XL - £94.34

19s - P Zero XL - £164.21

Cheapest 19 from supplier.

Just now, themanwithnoaim said:

But, **** grip or so says a stage 2 Mk1 vRS Owner at my meets

Not that I've found ... they were fine on my Alfa, plus the Asym 2s were awesome on my old Stage 2 Mk1 Cupra R.

Certain tyres suit certain cars due to the suspension setup etc, and these seem to be spot on for the MK3. Much better than the Pirellis they put on as standard -  you just need to mention the word water and they'll lose grip!

• Like 1

Uniroyal RainSports are £87 for the 18s £120 for the 19s (Black Circles).....So there is quite a difference.  

I just bought a set of 18" Avon ZZ5s for my Mk2 and they aren't even available in the 19" size so it seems there are less options available. 

Whilst I'm not about to retrofit 18s to my (on order) 245 I have to say if I was buying a standard VRS I'd stick with the 18s

Edited by juan27

Had both the Standard 18's (2014 vRS) and  Black Pack Upgraded 19's (2016 vRS) and found no difference in ride comfort or noise.

However, in my view the 19" Extremes look so much better and somehow fill the arches better giving the car a meaner stance that just isn't there with the 18's.

Also 19's easier to clean and mines are still kerb free after 9 months :cool:

• Like 2

My instinct based on nothing at all is go for the 19". My problem is the 19 inchers offered by Skoda are so damned ugly.

• Like 1