Car dealers, experiences?

Went to do some window shopping last week, the differences between dealers were worlds apart, I wont name and shame but thought I'd share my experiences.  

First up was a BMW dealer, popped in, had a look about and had a chat with a sales guy. Explained that we were not looking to buy for a month or two yet but were narrowing down the shortlist. They had a model of interest at the showroom, although it wasnt a demo we were told, it did have someones shirt/protein shaker/gym kit in the back :D Anyway, they were happy for us to take it out, took a copy of DL and told us to take it for half hour or so. We went out for about 20 minutes, majority spent in KFC car park playing with the headunit/nav etc. Dropped it back, no hassle and were told to give them a shout when ready to buy. Perfect balance of helpfulness without being overly pushy.  

Next up was a VW dealer, their website showed four of the models of interest, each in a different colour. Great, we could check out a few colours while there, one had an upgraded nav too. Arrived and found a black one parked on the forecourt, I asked about the other three to be told the black one was the only one they had. Not ideal. Had a look around it anyway, asked about a test drive to be told to come back when ready to buy and that was it basically. Nice! So we made our way out, only to find the other three cars sat in the overflow parking!

I can see this car shopping being a long, not so enjoyable experience! Tell me the second one was just bad luck? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, matt1chelski said:

Went to do some window shopping last week, the differences between dealers were worlds apart, I wont name and shame but thought I'd share my experiences.  

First up was a BMW dealer, popped in, had a look about and had a chat with a sales guy. Explained that we were not looking to buy for a month or two yet but were narrowing down the shortlist. They had a model of interest at the showroom, although it wasnt a demo we were told, it did have someones shirt/protein shaker/gym kit in the back :D Anyway, they were happy for us to take it out, took a copy of DL and told us to take it for half hour or so. We went out for about 20 minutes, majority spent in KFC car park playing with the headunit/nav etc. Dropped it back, no hassle and were told to give them a shout when ready to buy. Perfect balance of helpfulness without being overly pushy.  

Next up was a VW dealer, their website showed four of the models of interest, each in a different colour. Great, we could check out a few colours while there, one had an upgraded nav too. Arrived and found a black one parked on the forecourt, I asked about the other three to be told the black one was the only one they had. Not ideal. Had a look around it anyway, asked about a test drive to be told to come back when ready to buy and that was it basically. Nice! So we made our way out, only to find the other three cars sat in the overflow parking!

I can see this car shopping being a long, not so enjoyable experience! Tell me the second one was just bad luck? 

Wait to you get to talk trade - in valuations that will make you turn around and walk out. That really is the punch line, Stealers want the penny and the bun !However,may alter if the dealership month end targets are short.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

I'm looking at nearly new, I'm fairly sure what car I want so I'm thinking I'll just find one online then phone them for a check on details before going to view/buy it.

I'm not bothering with trading the Panda in, they'll offer me £500, I can get £2000 give or take private sale. 

• Like 1

As George implied - it depends.

Bought my second Roomster from same dealer, who serviced it during the two years I owned it.

When part-exing it for my Yeti, dealer gave it a cursory look and immediately offered top price for it.  A price I would have struggled to get privately.

Although I'm sure being near to the end of the month (and the financial year) must have helped.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

Different around the UK as in different Dealership Group with different Franchises.

Just because they are BMW or VW or Renault or Toyota etc does not mean you get the BMW, VW etc type service.

Days of the week, staff days off, boss out of the building can all make the experience different.

Yep

a bit like restaurant reviews......pretty much useless if the chefs different next time.

ps - do you get emailed quotes in Britain?.  Dealers won't do that here, they want to see the colour of your eyes and margins are so tight it seems.

13 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Yep

a bit like restaurant reviews......pretty much useless if the chefs different next time.

ps - do you get emailed quotes in Britain?.  Dealers won't do that here, they want to see the colour of your eyes and margins are so tight it seems.

Yeah emailed quotes are good.

However, using carwow even stops you having to contact dealers in the first place.  

Just plug in the details of the car you want and loads of the dealers email you their price!

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 2

On 07/07/2017 at 18:47, camelspyyder said:

Shop online.

Only go to dealers when you've got the killer email quotes in your pocket.

No price match - no sale.

Which is fine when you know exactly what you want, but if you're at the point of having half a dozen cars you might want to buy.....

One of my local dealers sells cars from 12 manufacturers, the other from 5-6. Staff regularly move between locations seemingly on the whim of head office. 

The treatment you get when you walk into a showroom is nothing to do with the manufacturers name over the door. 

19 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

Which is fine when you know exactly what you want, but if you're at the point of having half a dozen cars you might want to buy.....

You're right, there would be test drives to do first but when you've done that and know what you want it's all about price.

Dealers must have an 'understanding' out here which they are all a party to - strictly no dealing online.

There are no brokers as such that I can find listed anywhere either.

Its pretty much accepted that the profit comes mainly from servicing - BEVs will change that of course.

Hot deals come from the manufacturer supported on-road price special advertising, but is almost exclusively confined to slow moving stock prior to a new model or simply slow sellers nobody wants.

Go when it's quiet.

If you go on a Saturday they will dealing with lots of people anyway and will only take time if they sniff a very good chance of a sale.

If you go in on a weekday when it's quiet they will often be more open to test drives etc. But it is your luck witrh what salesman you get.

But my experience of premium brands mirrors yours. Several BMW and Audi franchises have all been free and easy with test drives. I was given a 330d for an afternoon from one without trying hard at all.

But they're usually not in the pile 'em high game.

Was out looking at the 'next car' contenders on Sunday and then decided to ring the three local Skoda dealers to see if they had a Superb L&K to view and to plan the directions accordingly.

1. "We'll get a salesman to call you back" - they called me back on Monday - not really of any use to me whatsoever.

2. No answer - ?

3. Yes we have one - turned out not to be a brand new one though.

12 hours ago, john999boy said:

Was out looking at the 'next car' contenders on Sunday and then decided to ring the three local Skoda dealers to see if they had a Superb L&K to view and to plan the directions accordingly.

1. "We'll get a salesman to call you back" - they called me back on Monday - not really of any use to me whatsoever.

2. No answer - ?

3. Yes we have one - turned out not to be a brand new one though.

https://www.orangewheels.co.uk/buy/skoda-superb-estate-2-0-tsi-280-laurin-klement-4x4-5dr-dsg.html

I've always had goof service from BMW, like others have said, they're happy to hand over the keys - and have never been pushy.

Jaguar were also very good, I managed to take out an XF, XE and F-Pace all out on the same day for an hour each, no problem, no hardship and no pushy selling, just a 'see what you think, then we can talk business' sort of attitude!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going well. Next on my list was a Seat, saw my local dealer had a demo of the model I was interested in so completed an email form. Got a call back later, had a chat about the cars I'm looking at, I mentioned I was interested in how the LSD worked and coped with the power. He asked how I'd be financing and how soon I was looking to buy, I said I'm just going through the list of cars I like at the moment, but a few weeks or possibly a couple of months. Got told the one I saw online was away but another similar model was available so I went over to check it out.

Arrived at the dealers, salesman took my licence and asked if I was looking to buy today. :dull: Again I said no, I was just trying to narrow the list of cars down at the moment. I got told the car is a used car thats for sale and normally they wouldn't let someone test drive if they weren't looking to buy soon but they'll make an exception. How good of them. I'd realised before even getting into the car I wouldn't gain much from the drive :D Needless to say, the 5 min I spent driving it showed me nothing, to be honest, it was only just warm as we headed back and we'd had a fair amount of traffic thanks to heading to the motorway junction of all places. 

Never mind! 

I walked in to a Toyota dealer - interested in a GT86. They have 2 (a demo and a show car), both white and both with no spoiler, so no chance to see how different colours or options look.... Apparently there's a limited edition in Orange. I appreciate not every dealer has one, I'm prepared to travel to look. No one, not even Toyota UK can tell me where they are located apparently?!?!? So I have to assume if I wanted to buy they were going to send out a search party.... :speechless:

I bought a second hand Porsche...... Now if you have the cash, that is an experience to have one time in life. Couldn't help enough when i went in, even though they'd had an open day and i basically turned up 1 hour before they closed. I was the last car in the car park, and only me and the sales lady in the showroom when I left. On collection, it's under a cover as I walk in and is "revealed" after all the paperwork is done, the keys are in a presentation case with a "congratulations" note from the sales team. I get a photo of me next to the car for my desk, a bottle of champagne, flowers for the wife and a scale model of the car. I know I paid for it all, but it was certainly worth it!

• Like 1

I'm in the fortunate position where I could change my Octavia if I want to, but can also just pay off the PCP and carry on using it for a couple of years if there's nothing that takes my fancy. 

One of the options that might tempt me is a Mini convertible so I have a test drive booked at the weekend. I've heard very positive stories from BMW dealerships, so will be interesting to see if they are as good.

I recently bought a Mini soft top. The mini dealers I visited were first class.......helpful but not pushy.

A far more pleasant experience sadly than VAG dealers I visited.