Roof bars and bike carrier

I would like to transport three road bikes on top of my soon to be collected Superb estate.

Can anyone suggest a suitable and reliable make/model of bars and carriers to do this please?

Also if anyone has a picture or two of how they have achieved this?

Many thanks

• Like 1

Highly rate the Thule roof bars. With these you would have the two options of the Wing Edge Bar which will fit between the roof rails and look very neat. However they have less load area so the bikes racks and there fore the bikes will be closer together too. The alternative is the standard Wind Bar which clamps on top of the roof rails and allows a wider bar to be used so you can space the bikes out more. They both use the wing profile shape to make them very quiet in use so you don't get the wind whistle which roof bars cause. The Edge version are the quietest due to them being lower and less of it. All these measures to make them quieter doesn't make much difference once you fit a bike rack as they create some drag anyway and that creates a bit of noise but not enough to irritate you. 

For the bike racks Thule too. Thule Pro Ride 598 replaces the previous 591 version. Main changes are carbon fibre friendly and more secure frame clamp with torque limit to prevent over tightening, wheel straps allow for wider tyres as well as road tyres keeping them more secure whilst at speed to stop them wobbling and improved fitting to the roof bars. The Pro Ride 591 are being sold off very cheap to clear them from stock so can be bargain especially if you need three of them. They are still a very good rack.

The Wing bars and Edge version along with the Pro Ride 598 are available in black at extra cost.

If you have three bikes mounted I would change the middle rack to face back wards so that the bars aren't getting tangled as you mount them. The Pro Ride 591 and 598 allow you to change the side the clamping arm is on to suit your requirements.

This is on an Octavia fitted with Thule Wing Bars (on top of roof rails) and Thule Pro Ride 591 with the middle rack facing backwards.

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

The Edge type bars have a usable width of 70cm, the widest part of the Pro Ride bike racks are 30cm so three racks staggered will be tight but double, four I don't think is double. You'd best going for a wider Wingbar that's fits over the roof rails. 

On 15.7.2017 at 12:00, bobgfish said:

Any ideas if either of these Thule will also work with the panaramic sun roof? 

I know the panoranic roof will hit the Edge version if you open it... 

anybody know if it's possible to "deactivate" the opening of the roof? 

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone with an estate tell me what feet they are using to attach the bars? I have an MY2018 estate and Thule don't seem to fit very well.

Tried 757 and the inside was at the wrong angle so very little contact on the inside of the rail. Tried the Thule 775 and although they just about fitted, they had large gaps and looked like they could be cut off quite easily with a pair of Tinsnips.

Do any actually fit well all the way around the roof rails?

1 hour ago, knfruitbat said:

Can anyone with an estate tell me what feet they are using to attach the bars? I have an MY2018 estate and Thule don't seem to fit very well.

Tried 757 and the inside was at the wrong angle so very little contact on the inside of the rail. Tried the Thule 775 and although they just about fitted, they had large gaps and looked like they could be cut off quite easily with a pair of Tinsnips.

Do any actually fit well all the way around the roof rails?

Have seen both the 775 and the 757 in use on the estate here in Norway.. the most common is the 775 (the feet recommended by Thule) and the edge.

I went for the wingbar edge, and will probably remove the fuse to ensure I don't get into trouble with the pano ;)

Edited by Howardv

Hi I have used the Thule 757 feet with success to transport 4 bikes, see attached photos, there is still enough room to open roof if you wanted to but you get a lot of wind noise.

20170729_085233.jpg

20170729_084750.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Edited by Simon-R
edit text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I've the superb combi, and thought I'd manage the bike in the boot but its driving me a bit nuts with the kids seats. 

So instead of going to buy a hitch now I'm gonna get a roof rack. 

So I need these 3 items, is that correct?

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/roof-bars-roof-boxes/roof-bars-fittings/thule-footpack-757--pack-of-4

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-racks/roof-mounted-bike-racks/thule-proride-598-roof-mounted-bike-rack

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/roof-bars-roof-boxes/roof-bars-fittings/thule-wing-bar-969--pack-of-2

Thanks in advance.

• 8 months later...

Thanks all - my query that brought me here was in relation to whether my Thule 757s that I've used on two previous estate cars (a Seat and Mercedes) would be compatible with my Superb Mk3 and where on the car to position them. 

Now fixed in place, and while the inner part of the footpack doesn't seem to be gripping too well, the outer part wraps around sufficiently to provide a good grip.

Rather than the clamp type like 757 I'd recommend the newer 775 strap type feet for anyone buying for an estate with roof rails as they fit practically any size and shape of roofbar without using adaptors etc.. When I bought my Yeti its thicker bars meant that 757s wouldn't stretch over them so had to I change to 775s and now I don't need to worry about changing feet or adaptors even again.

Been looking at this myself recently.  

For the Superb Combi, from what I understand its:

Thule 775 footback

Thule 961 wingbars

Thule 591 or 598 bike carrier

On 31/07/2017 at 14:24, Simon-R said:

Hi I have used the Thule 757 feet with success to transport 4 bikes, see attached photos, there is still enough room to open roof if you wanted to but you get a lot of wind noise.

20170729_085233.jpg

20170729_084750.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Whats the complete set up for this to work that needs buying extra that doesnt come with the car as standard?

5 hours ago, TonyTonic said:

Whats the complete set up for this to work that needs buying extra that doesnt come with the car as standard?

Mickey43's post above lists the parts you need. I'd highly recommend the 598s over the 591s though, the 591s are laughably insecure.

Only additional stuff you'd need is, ideally, matching locks. If you buy them from some retailers at the same time they'll match the locks for you at no extra charge.

If you don't then you'd need to buy the lock barrels and a lock changing key. Or just put up with a couple of different keys :)

Edited by juux

I brought the Thule WingBar Edge 9582 M which includes feet.  Might be a struggle with 4 bikes on the roof but will be possible.  Great for fours sets of skis.  I brought a Thule EuroClassic G6 929 for the bikes on the back instead.

10 hours ago, juux said:

Mickey43's post above lists the parts you need. I'd highly recommend the 598s over the 591s though, the 591s are laughably insecure.

Only additional stuff you'd need is, ideally, matching locks. If you buy them from some retailers at the same time they'll match the locks for you at no extra charge.

If you don't then you'd need to buy the lock barrels and a lock changing key. Or just put up with a couple of different keys :)

Interesting about the 591's.  Are they that bad?  A colleague in work has them and to my untrained eye they look ok.  Was going to go for them as they have dropped in price due to the new model.

1 hour ago, Mickey43 said:

Interesting about the 591's.  Are they that bad?  A colleague in work has them and to my untrained eye they look ok.  Was going to go for them as they have dropped in price due to the new model.

I had no idea they were that bad when I bought mine. The 598 is much better, a lot more of a 'hook' in the clamp, although I'd never leave the bikes on the rack for anything more than popping into a motorway services anyway

Edited by juux