the new Yeti

Pictishloon

The new Yeti is coming shortly, but it is no longer called the Yeti, as you know, it is being called the KAROQ. Why the name change, well it’s entirely political, but the KAROQ  is exactly the same as the Yeti, with a few updates obviously.

The Yeti has been Skoda’s most popular model ever, and owners VW want to sell even more in other countries. China is a huge untapped market, but under the current model name of ‘Yeti’, Skoda wouldn’t sell very many Yetis in China. Why not?

Well  China shares its border with Himalayan countries, Nepal and Bhutan among others. The 'Yeti' is said to be found in the Himalayas, but the Bhutanese people and the Chinese people do not like each other, in fact The Kingdom of Bhutan and the People’s Republic of China do not maintain official diplomatic relations. So to expand into the lucrative Chinese market, VW and Skoda had to change the name from Yeti, because their research had told them that the Chinese simply wouldn’t buy a car with the name Yeti, as the name is associated with their neighbour who some might call their ‘enemy’.

Hence the new name of Karoq, which is apparently a combination of two words from the language of the Alutiiq tribe from Alaska, ‘car’ and ‘arrow.’

I think I will be having a Karoq when the time comes to replace my 2016 Yeti as the new Kodiaq is a wee bit too big for me.

Pictishloon

5 minutes ago, Pictishloon said:

, but the KAROQ  is exactly the same as the Yeti, with a few updates obviously.

I think you will find the Karoq significantly different to the Yeti

Edited by sads45

What i tried to explain was that the Karoq was meant to be the new Yeti model, and indeed it is, albeit with a new name, the Karoq. If VW hadn't wanted to expand into the lucrative Chinese market, the Karoq would still be called the Yeti.

Where did you hear that the YETI was Skoda's most popular model ever with them producing or selling less than 900,000 since they were introduced? (edit less than 600,000 10 months ago.)

Where did you hear that the Karoq was meant as the new Yeti model?

New model yes but a move on surely for a global market and maybe increased UK sales as the Yeti was not even Skoda UK's 3rd best seller.

Edited by Awayoffski

Well going on the idea that the Yeti would not be popular in China because of it's name I bet the Fiat Panda outsells every other make of car .The Karoq is not the new Yeti it is a new model that Skoda introduced to keep up with trends,the Yeti had run it's course and VAG dropped it from their model lineup.The Karoq is a Seat Ateca clone which has sold well,I test drove the Ateca and was impressed but glad I got a new Yeti before it's premature demise. 

Škoda can change the model names to suit the country, the Octavia for example was a Laura in India.

As for the Karoq being exactly the same as the Yeti.... :D they are totally different.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story though.

• Like 1

Guest FurryFriend
5 hours ago, Pictishloon said:

The new Yeti is coming shortly, but it is no longer called the Yeti, as you know, it is being called the KAROQ. Why the name change, well it’s entirely political, but the KAROQ  is exactly the same as the Yeti, with a few updates obviously.

The Yeti has been Skoda’s most popular model ever, and owners VW want to sell even more in other countries. China is a huge untapped market, but under the current model name of ‘Yeti’, Skoda wouldn’t sell very many Yetis in China. Why not?

Well  China shares its border with Himalayan countries, Nepal and Bhutan among others. The 'Yeti' is said to be found in the Himalayas, but the Bhutanese people and the Chinese people do not like each other, in fact The Kingdom of Bhutan and the People’s Republic of China do not maintain official diplomatic relations. So to expand into the lucrative Chinese market, VW and Skoda had to change the name from Yeti, because their research had told them that the Chinese simply wouldn’t buy a car with the name Yeti, as the name is associated with their neighbour who some might call their ‘enemy’.

Hence the new name of Karoq, which is apparently a combination of two words from the language of the Alutiiq tribe from Alaska, ‘car’ and ‘arrow.’

I think I will be having a Karoq when the time comes to replace my 2016 Yeti as the new Kodiaq is a wee bit too big for me.

Pictishloon

11 minutes ago, FurryFriend said:

It's not ANYTHING like the YETI. 

Neither is the new Discovery anything like the old one. I think sales will suffer amongst the faithful - they have upgraded a boxy well liked vehicle to a more current design. It echoes the new Discovery Sport (unsurprisingly). I'm sure they may of course increase sales by non-traditional customers - which is probably their aim.

Pretty much what has happened to the Yeti - with the notable exception that they retained the Discovery name.

Bill :)

Guest FurryFriend

Doesn't matter to me what Skoda say. 

SUV jellymoulds are just awful , and they certainly won't be selling ME one. 

Some of these manufacturers need to listen to existing customers. 

Sorry to the OP, but I don't really see the point of his post at all.

If he'd read previous posts on this part of the forum and that for the Karoq etc. he'd know, unsurprisingly, that folks on here are already pretty clued up on the Yeti and it's "replacement".  

I see that you Llanigraham, my Welsh friend, seem to enjoy mocking me by saying that you’ve “read some rubbish on this forum, but this takes the biscuit”  You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and fortunately I’ve got broad shoulders, but I fear that the only rubbish here is your own rubbish!

My information came from the Skoda UK hierarchy, who held a special series of meetings last week for Skoda salesmen to promote Skoda’s big push to gain a bigger share of the fleet market!  Straight from the horse’s mouth rings  a bell………

Incidentally, the information about the new name ‘Karoq’ coming from the Alaskan Alutiiq tribe, meaning ‘car’ and ‘arrow’, is that rubbish too Llanigraham? Absolutely   NOT my friend. That information is actually written down in black and white in the booklet handed out at the meeting, entitled “Business Driven” .  Excuse me if I have a laugh……….Now where is that ‘rubbish’ my friend?

The Karoq has a  new digital display and 5 engine choices. Now here is some more rubbish for you Llanigraham……Skoda will see five fully electric cars join their range of vehicles by 2025.

• Like 1

I doubt anyone is arguing or saying that the 'Skoda' story on the name is not what they are saying.

Or that they want to increase Fleet sales or leasing or first registrations and global sales or deliveries.

Where do you get the Best selling model stuff for about the YETI?

EDIT,

Sorry, 'Most popular Skoda model ever' stuff.

?

Are you a Skoda Salesman, or sales person

& was the meetings only for men and separate ones for female sales executives?

Is 'Bullsh!tting' now part of the Skoda UK sales training along with Up Selling, and 'They All Do That' & 'Never Heard of That', Scripts?

Edited by Awayoffski

Do many companies have fleets (apart from vans and lorries) anymore.

Most of the folks I know who have company cars take the monthly allowance and buy what they want subject to some restrictions i.e. not getting something better than the boss! Hence why there are so many Audis and BWMs on the road rather than Mondeos now.

Fleet, includes the likes of G4S who Skoda got to run Citigo's, then all the Car Hire Companies that Skoda can get high Quarter First Registrations off of.

So there is the 'Fleet' market to chase and Skoda does well in 'Fleet' awards.

Then Motability is the biggest Group Buyer in the UK and they buy the vehicles unlike much of the 'Fleet' vehicles that are VW Finance owned.

So yes Skoda chase Business users hard, Renting Vehicles and selling used cars to the Trade & Public.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pictishloon said:

I see that you Llanigraham, my Welsh friend, seem to enjoy mocking me by saying that you’ve “read some rubbish on this forum, but this takes the biscuit”  You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and fortunately I’ve got broad shoulders, but I fear that the only rubbish here is your own rubbish!

My information came from the Skoda UK hierarchy, who held a special series of meetings last week for Skoda salesmen to promote Skoda’s big push to gain a bigger share of the fleet market!  Straight from the horse’s mouth rings  a bell………

Incidentally, the information about the new name ‘Karoq’ coming from the Alaskan Alutiiq tribe, meaning ‘car’ and ‘arrow’, is that rubbish too Llanigraham? Absolutely   NOT my friend. That information is actually written down in black and white in the booklet handed out at the meeting, entitled “Business Driven” .  Excuse me if I have a laugh……….Now where is that ‘rubbish’ my friend?

The Karoq has a  new digital display and 5 engine choices. Now here is some more rubbish for you Llanigraham……Skoda will see five fully electric cars join their range of vehicles by 2025.

I mocked no-one. Perhaps instead of posting the inflammatory first post you could have explained all of this. I note I am not the only one to have question your comments  or your motives.

Your information is second hand and not provable, and until you can provide the evidence I remain unchanged. Companies can and do give the same model different names in different markets, as has been shown here. 

The Koraq is nothing like the old Yeti, so your comments are incorrect.

I have not argued about the basis of the name.

And the first part of your last paragraph proves nothing that we can't read already, or hasn't already been mentioned in the relevant section of this forum.

2 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

It's not ANYTHING like the YETI. 

It's a mid sized 5 seat SUV made by Skoda with a range of petrol and Diesel engines, and a choice of 2 or 4 wheel drive.

That seems quite similar to me, and for all the Yeti fans insistence, it absolutely is the replacement whether the name has changed or not. 

Arona with a decent sized boot, not too big a car, easy in and easy out and coming as a Cupra with 2.0 TSI 197ps. 

As to looks you only see that getting in or out of cars and not while driving them.

Only transport after all not some design classics.

• Like 1

I've just seen the release video of the new Jaguar E Pace.  Now that looks like an interesting proposition.  Yes, a bit more money than an Ateca or Karoq, but it at least looks interesting.  Not only did I buy my Yeti as a practical and capable car, I bought it because it had character. The replacement lacks the latter. Maybe I'll think differently when I see a Karoq in the flesh...

• Like 1