Heater Resistor Part Number

Lost the low speed setting on my car.

Does anyone know the part number for a heater resistor for a 2013 mk2 fabia estate please. Are there any differences through the range at all?

Thanks for the reply. 

Not it sure if I have got a defective replacement resistor. 

When I changed it, all speeds worked fine, however the air con would not work at all. Fitting the original back in place, the air con works as it should but speed 1 does not.

Thats why I was asking about the possibility of different resistor packs.

Where did you get the replacement from?

If you have a multimeter, you could try measuring the resistance between each of the 4 pins on the suspect resistor pack, and I could do comparative measurements on a spare I have?  If you measure resistor pack (N24) pins 2-3, then pin 2 to pin 1, then pin 2 to pin 4 you should get an increasing number each time. Also see what the number is when you short the two meter probes together.

Cabin fan speed.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Where did you get the replacement from?

If you have a multimeter, you could try measuring the resistance between each of the 4 pins on the suspect resistor pack, and I could do comparative measurements on a spare I have?  If you measure resistor pack (N24) pins 2-3, then pin 2 to pin 1, then pin 2 to pin 4 you should get an increasing number each time. Also see what the number is when you short the two meter probes together.

Cabin fan speed.png

Thank you for taking the trouble to get back to me. The replacement is just a generic item from eBay. Part number is 6Q0 959 263A marked on the resistor.

My probe lead resistance is 0.3 ohm

2-3 resistance is 1.7 ohms

2-1 resistance is 2.2 ohms

2-4 resistance is 2.5 ohms

I have not subtracted the lead resistance from the above readings.

Can't see any issue from those numbers.

My (2003 vintage, genuine secondhand) spare measures as follows:

Probe lead resistance 0.2 Ohms

Pins 2-3 = 1.6 Ohms

Pins 2-1 = 2.1 Ohms

Pins 2-4 = 2.4 Ohms

As with your numbers, pre-subtraction, so identical to the nearest tenth of an Ohm.

The only other thing I can offer is that having looked at this before I concluded that the HVAC module 'knows' that the fan is switched on by looking at the voltage on pin 1 of connector T5h (where the fan loom plugs into the back of the HVAC module). So even in the complete absence of the resistor pack, A/C should work if the fan switch is in position 4.  I can't see how all four speeds could work with that resistor pack and fail to give voltages at that pin such that the HVAC unit thinks  'OK the cabin fan is on'. :wondering:

• Like 1

Do you have VCDS by any chance?

You can see the voltage on the fan by going to the HVAC module measuring blocks. You could compare readings for each switch position for the 2 resistor packs if you were super keen to experiment. Lots of hassle swapping them in/out of position though, I think.

Mystery to me, I may try unplugging the resistor pack completely to see if AC then works. I can then measure the values of that resistor pack and see if there is a difference at all.

This link:

http://www.theskodashop.co.uk/product/Heater_Resistor_for_AirCon_-_(Fabia_00>14)_6Q0959263A#review

suggests that this resistor pack is for air con models, this is why I thought there may be a few variants.

Well, took the thing apart again today to compare the resistances of old and new resistor packs. Old pack was open circuit from pin 2 to every other pin, which is to be expected as that is the low speed setting according to the diagram Wino kindly posted.

All other readings were identical on each resistor pack. 

I gave the contact pins on the new resistor pack a good scrub with my fibreglass pen and refitted it thinking I would do as Wino suggested and use VCDS to check the motor voltages, but the thing works!

Not sure if I had a high resistance connection on previous fittings but I am sure the low speed fan setting seems faster than when I fitted it yesterday.

Just like to say a big thanks to Wino and all who helped.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

A small bump on this thread, sorry.

When I got the car, neither the AC or fan speeds 1,2 or 3 worked. I just changed the resistor pack and all fan speeds now work. However, Air con lights up, but doesn't do anything. I was wondering if I'd put in the wrong part number (6Q0959263 6Q0959263A) and have ordered the one that specifies for a/c models. Should I wait for that to arrive and fit that, or just go straight for getting an AC serviced with the resistor I have already fitted? 

Edited by 67Mark
part numbers added

Well, if the AC light is now coming on, I'd think that the AC system is happy enough with that new speed controller working and making the fan deliver air, does the AC make hissing noises and are the AC alloy pipes changing temperature by much?

Quick update. Re-gassed this morning. Air conditioning works fine now. No need to fit the 2nd resistor, so all's well. Thanks all for the input. Gonna put in a fresh cabin filter this weekend, hopefully this will help stop the new resistor failing.

Good result, handy to have a cabin filter that works, the Mann Frecious versions work very to stop nasty outside smells getting into the car, also one of these AC "bombs" would kill off any beasties breeding in the evaporator area.