My Yeti is going...............

Macdemon

What an interesting development. I've got a Superb that will be 7 years old in November with the same engine and gearbox as yours. I've been wondering about what to replace it with and I've mulled over many possibilities, but all of them would have to include switching to petrol or petrol/hybrid. I just think that we should do our bit for the environment if this doesn't cost us in terms of driving satisfaction. The engine that has impressed many motoring pundits is the 1.4TSI with the DSG box, because of it being quiet, smooth and powerful enough for regular motoring. Add in the latest version of 4x4 and that looks like a winner. The Kodiaq has had lots of great reviews and is on my radar too. However, I have not ruled out the yet to be released Karoq, not least because it seems to have the engine that is replacing the 1.4TSI - a 1.5TSI which is apparently more fuel efficient, and can be had with the DSG and 4x4 combination. As the replacement for the Yeti, it will obviously be smaller and cheaper than the Kodiaq, which has to be taken into account with new car prices continuing to rise. The great thing for Skoda now, compared to the very recent past, is that we Skoda loyalists have even more reason to stay with the brand as it expands the range of models it can offer us. I have not been a fan of the Yeti, preferring something a bit bigger. Now I am delighted that there are two Skoda SUVs coming to market, both bigger than the Yeti, and both competing to get me to part with my money. Next year could well be that year!

• Like 1

Guest FurryFriend

Loved reading that and hope you enjoy your Kodiaq. 

Shame some of these odious pillocks in car showrooms are only interested in money rather than customers. 

But seeing it was BMW not at all surprised. 

4 hours ago, Macdemon said:

After seven FAITHFUL and HASSLE FREE years, its time to change our Yeti.

Kitten and I have LOVED driving Ivor but as he will be 7 in Sept we feel we're ready for a change.

We have been considering hybrid cars, and have looked carefully at the

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV,

Lexus NX range and the RX range but in the SUV.4x4 category, there is little choice.

We also considered returning to a petrol engine and have also considered

The Ford Kuga,

Kia Sportage and Sorrento,

Hyundai Tuscon,

Toyota Rav4,

Honda CR-V,

Honda CH-V,

Subaru XV and the Subaru Forrester,

Mazda CX-5,

Mercedes GLC and the Mercedes GLA.....

BMW X5, BMW X3

Audi Q5, Audi Q3

VW Tiguan, and the Toureg

After looking at the specs across the range, and the engine choices as well as 'optional extras' you can choose we were not very impressed with ANY of them.

As much as we love the Skoda Yeti, we don't want another one as we want something 'different'.

We visited Euro Skoda in Crawley down and chatted to a VERY pleasant chap called Chris, who took us for a test drive and we've decided on a Skoda Kodiaq. 

I spent about 30 minutes behind the wheel and was VERY impressed with the 1.4TSi 4x4 DGS petrol engine.  It was lively and responsive around corners and didn't twitch when you changed direction suddenly.  The Kodiaq feels so sure and planted on the road, it really has the quality feel of a true premium mid/full size SUV, and at a VERY competitive price.

Despite us mentioning that we were not going to buy until next year, Chris still took the time to chat with us and we really felt like valued customers, unlike the arrogant creep in the BMW showroom, who's first question was to ask how much money we had to spend (What a rude and thoughtless individual).

When we're ready we will put our order in for the 'Edition' version is it's still available, if not then the 5 seater SE L will do us nicely.

All we need to do it wait and then 'pounce' when we are ready to make the commitment, which will NOT be long.

So I will still be in Briskoda.........................but will be swapping sections haha.

I will still visit the Yeti section, but not very often, so feel free to send me a message from time to time, and I'll be happy to reply.

Pip pip.

Mac.

I'm not sure that asking what budget one has when buying something is such an unreasonable approach.  Given BMW's vary in price from around £25k to in excess of £100k, unless one indicated a particular model one was interested in then unless it is known roughly what one is intending to spend, a lot of time could be wasted showing models that were either well above or below the available funding.  

This is is the case when purchasing many relatively high value items, the most obvious of which is a house where it is highly unlikely one would not mention one's budget in opening a house buying conversation in an estate agents.

Not being present when the discussion took place it is not possible to comment specifically but the salesman's tone and demeanour could have played a part in the showroom visit having a negative outcome.  

I must admit however, having bought many new cars, I always open the conversation by stating clearly what model, extras and any other relevant information on the car I'm interested in and take it from there.  I have never been asked directly what my budget is in these circumstances and only get round to price once everything else has been clarified.

We specifically enquired about an SUV or 4x4 so my wife and I thought his initial question was rude and presumptuous, neither of us have a high regard for BMW anyway. 

Edited by Macdemon

I've also started considering the replacement for the Yeti for when the time comes. I've only been looking in a half-hearted manner but like you I'm already finding it difficult to find what I really want.

We've got the largest number of manufacturers and models ever for SUVs but for some reason the manufacturers restrict the combination of engines, gearboxes and drivetrains that they make available.

Used to be you could have any engine with manual or auto transmission but now many are auto only or 4WD.

I've never had 4WD and don't want to tow a caravan but if you go for the higher power engines you  often have no choice. This is frustrating and I start to get disillusioned.  

Interesting that you didn't mention the Ateca or wait for the Karoq to come out. As DC says this will have the 1.5 petrol which will be my choice. I just hope they do a manual, 2WD in the spec. I want.

I've had big cars previously but the Kodiaq is way too big for us now.  

16 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

I've also started considering the replacement for the Yeti for when the time comes. I've only been looking in a half-hearted manner but like you I'm already finding it difficult to find what I really want.

We've got the largest number of manufacturers and models ever for SUVs but for some reason the manufacturers restrict the combination of engines, gearboxes and drivetrains that they make available.

Used to be you could have any engine with manual or auto transmission but now many are auto only or 4WD.

I've never had 4WD and don't want to tow a caravan but if you go for the higher power engines you  often have no choice. This is frustrating and I start to get disillusioned.  

Interesting that you didn't mention the Ateca or wait for the Karoq to come out. As DC says this will have the 1.5 petrol which will be my choice. I just hope they do a manual, 2WD in the spec. I want.

I've had big cars previously but the Kodiaq is way too big for us now.  

We did look at the Ateca but we thought the interior finish and design was not up to our exacting standards, we only found out about the karoq about a week ago and will look at that in due course, and will take one for a test drive before making a final decision.  :blush:

Edited by Macdemon

Just don't bother with the 3008 ok!

We need the numbers here.....you've been warned!

Ps - they usually want to know how soon they can get their hands on your money......oops, I meant how soon you'll be ready to buy.

Edited by Ryeman

Guest FurryFriend

X19 said..... 

"Not being present when the discussion took place it is not possible to comment specifically but the salesman's tone and demeanour could have played a part in the showroom visit having a negative outcome." 

And THAT says it all. We walked away from several dealerships for just that reason.  They didn't LISTEN, and didn't work for the sale. 

I always remember my Brother in Law going into the Jaguar showroom in Leeds. He was after a brand new XKR. So he wandered round, and wandered round, and not one of the twerps sat behind desks could be bothered to lift their pin striped backsides to chat with their jeans and T shirted potential customer. 

So he walked out again. 

He's a successful barrister, likes to dress down at weekends, and could have bought the car outright (as he did, elsewhere) without any problem. 

Attitude..... Kills sales.... In any business. 

Edited by FurryFriend

I had a similar experience at Birmingham's main Nissan dealer.  I had considered the NV200 Combi a possible replacement for my Roomster.

Enter plush Nissan showroom in jeans and tee shirt.

"Can I help you Sir?" asks suited man at reception.

"I'd like to view an NV200 Combi, please".

"Haven't got one. Very rarely have one here".

There followed an awkward silence.

"Well, how do I get to view one?  I'm interested in one specific model".

Suited man wrote down a phone number, which he gave to me.

"Ring this number and they'll sort you out".

I walked out and drove straight to my local Skoda dealer - where I met with customary welcome, handshake, coffee and chat.

I bought a Yeti.  Skoda's gain... Nissan's loss.

To OP - enjoy your Kodiaq.  A neighbour has one and it does look impressive.

Edited by Robjon

Macdemon - for some reason I'm not drawn to SEATs either. Had Audis and VWs in the past (well still do) and the Yeti was ideal as a practical car because it was relatively cheap, good quality and VWG and the odd rattles and sqeaks I could live as it was a Skoda!

SEAT falls into no-mans land for me and I don't like the badge!

Was near the VW dealer this morning so had a better look at the Tiguan. On another thread someone said that the Yeti interior is dated (which I suppose it is really but I prefer the classic two dial layout) but given that it was a new model Tiguan, SE  Nav I sat in, I was very underwhelmed and the look and quality doesn't make the Yeti look bad.

As keeps being said, the Yeti is such a good overall and value for money package it is very difficult to replace. I've only had mine for 2 years and planning to replace at 3 but maybe I will change my mind!

Ryman - I like the look of the 3008 on the road but just don't like the look of the dash and steering wheel even though it is more modern.      

In life folks are judged on their appearance, we all do it, it is a fact of life.

But you would have thought by now that car salesman would have cottoned onto the fact that jeans and a tee-shirt doesn't mean that the wearer doesn't have the money/income to buy an expensive car. Perhaps that is why they are car salesman!

And I would have thought that those wearing jeans and tee-shirt wouldn't go into an upmarket showroom e.g. Jaguar, if they didn't have the funds. You go get the odd time waster of course. 

19 hours ago, Macdemon said:

We have been considering hybrid cars

Any particular reason why you decided against one in the end @Macdemon?

We too are looking at a replacement for the Yeti but have ruled out a hybrid as it would be pointless for the driving we do as it would rarely use the battery power, but a pure battery powered car is still under consideration, this will mean a move away from VAG though.

The Kodiaq is a nice car and by next year all the little niggles should have been sorted.

15 hours ago, x19 said:

I'm not sure that asking what budget one has when buying something is such an unreasonable approach. 

Because it's a yardstick the salesman is then going to use to sell you whatever he can up to that price, or ease finance onto you to up your budget. All good sales practices for the salesman and his monthly figures, but not a good sales tactic for generating good customer feelings and repeat business.

"How much has sir got to spend?"

"We have a budget of £XXX for an SUV."

"Then might I suggest Sir looks at this model..."

which is not the way to sell a customer what they want, more a way of selling the customer what's in stock. It removes all the sales talk about the cars they sell and drops straight onto "This is what you can afford".

2 hours ago, VAGCF said:

I like the look of the 3008 on the road but just don't like the look of the dash and steering wheel even though it is more modern.      

Couple of 3008's around here and I'm hearing lots of moans about them. Many are finding the dash too complicated and hate the "lane control" system, as it can't seem to cope with narrow roads with a line down the middle.

46 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Because it's a yardstick the salesman is then going to use to sell you whatever he can up to that price, or ease finance onto you to up your budget. All good sales practices for the salesman and his monthly figures, but not a good sales tactic for generating good customer feelings and repeat business.

"How much has sir got to spend?"

"We have a budget of £XXX for an SUV."

"Then might I suggest Sir looks at this model..."

which is not the way to sell a customer what they want, more a way of selling the customer what's in stock. It removes all the sales talk about the cars they sell and drops straight onto "This is what you can afford".

To some extent yes, but If I walk into a showroom and point to an SUV or 4x4 its quite clear that that's what I'm looking for and I don't expect to be initially question to ascertain if I can 'afford one'.  Not in the early stages.

The man at the BMW showroom we were chatting to broke us off to take a telephone call, another reason why we were unimpressed and will NOT be revisiting BMW again.............EVER.

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Any particular reason why you decided against hybrid cars in the end @Macdemon?

Yes.

There is not a huge range or choice available at the moment, but thats changing as manufacturers update existing models to accommodate the dual drivechain, or introduce new models.

Another reason why we have discounted hybrid, is we think the technology has another 5 or 10 years to go until you get an adequate battery life, and then there is the issue of a lack of charging stations in towns and cities across the UK and at petrol stations.

Tesla have almost cracked it, but they are sill a niche supplier and that's very much reflected in their prices so obviously not worth considering unless you have the money to do so, which most people don't.

Edited by Macdemon
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, D-Cunningham said:

What an interesting development. I've got a Superb that will be 7 years old in November with the same engine and gearbox as yours. I've been wondering about what to replace it with and I've mulled over many possibilities, but all of them would have to include switching to petrol or petrol/hybrid. I just think that we should do our bit for the environment if this doesn't cost us in terms of driving satisfaction. The engine that has impressed many motoring pundits is the 1.4TSI with the DSG box, because of it being quiet, smooth and powerful enough for regular motoring. Add in the latest version of 4x4 and that looks like a winner. The Kodiaq has had lots of great reviews and is on my radar too. However, I have not ruled out the yet to be released Karoq, not least because it seems to have the engine that is replacing the 1.4TSI - a 1.5TSI which is apparently more fuel efficient, and can be had with the DSG and 4x4 combination. As the replacement for the Yeti, it will obviously be smaller and cheaper than the Kodiaq, which has to be taken into account with new car prices continuing to rise. The great thing for Skoda now, compared to the very recent past, is that we Skoda loyalists have even more reason to stay with the brand as it expands the range of models it can offer us. I have not been a fan of the Yeti, preferring something a bit bigger. Now I am delighted that there are two Skoda SUVs coming to market, both bigger than the Yeti, and both competing to get me to part with my money. Next year could well be that year!

Well, I read online on the Autoexpress website that Skoda IS actually launching the Kodiaq WITH a hybrid 1.4TSi petrol engine sometime in 2019, might be worth looking at that.

Kitten and I do not want to wait that long, and are happy to go for the 1.4TSi petrol engine with the DSG and in 4x4.

Test Drove it at Crawley Down garage yesterday (21 July 2017) and fell in love with it. :kiss:

30 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

Couple of 3008's around here and I'm hearing lots of moans about them. Many are finding the dash too complicated and hate the "lane control" system, as it can't seem to cope with narrow roads with a line down the middle.

And substandard build-quality to boot.

The design outside and inside in VERY smart.

MD - Yes you are right there. I've had thoughts about maybe a hybrid in the future but they aren't there yet.

Also, as a mag. test on the A3 mentioned, when using the engine you are lugging around all that battery weight which affects performance, handling and economy. That needs to be addressed as well in new battery technology. 

1 hour ago, VAGCF said:

Also, as a mag. test on the A3 mentioned, when using the engine you are lugging around all that battery weight which affects performance, handling and economy. That needs to be addressed as well in new battery technology. 

This is what puts us off a hybrid, I doubt that it would run on batteries (for us) very often, so the price premium would not be worth it.

A Model 3 is still at the top of the shortlist though.

We looked at the 3008 as we had a mk1. The Mk2 is nice but is so so expensive. The boot was bigger than the Yeti but the complicated touch screen for radio and heater/air con is dangerous. Peugeot actually do not see Skoda as a competitior, they think they are competing with Audi. That has come from the horses mouth as I know someone who works for Peugeot. There UK sales to date of the 3008 are poor.

56 minutes ago, berr0010 said:

We looked at the 3008 as we had a mk1. The Mk2 is nice but is so so expensive. The boot was bigger than the Yeti but the complicated touch screen for radio and heater/air con is dangerous. Peugeot actually do not see Skoda as a competitior, they think they are competing with Audi. That has come from the horses mouth as I know someone who works for Peugeot. There UK sales to date of the 3008 are poor.

Which Audi do they think it competes with?

6 hours ago, Gizmo said:

This is what puts us off a hybrid, I doubt that it would run on batteries (for us) very often, so the price premium would not be worth it.

A Model 3 is still at the top of the shortlist though.

You have a drive where you could have a recharge station built, and possibly charge any neighbours to use it at your suppliers rate + your preferred % on top :) .

P.S. You know the Model 3 deliveries will start in August & not October as originally quoted ?

9 minutes ago, lfc958 said:

You have a drive where you could have a recharge station built, and possibly charge any neighbours to use it at your suppliers rate + your preferred % on top :) .

P.S. You know the Model 3 deliveries will start in August & not October as originally quoted ?

:D

I doubt if we will see them over here within 12 months.