Piggybacking from the Fabia vRS fusebox

I have just bought a £40 Dash Camera as an experiment ( APEMAN C470 Mini Dash Cam).
It draws its power via a USB connector which I could plug into the cigarette lighter socket.
I want it to work ONLY when the power is switched on.
I plan to do this with a piggyback fuse in the fuse box - but don't know how.
I have included a .JPG photo of the Fabis vRS fusebox, can someone please tell me which socket I should use?

Fabia vRS fuse box.jpg

edit - WHOOPS! - I have just noticed that there is a thread below mine which more or less answers this - but without the relevant photos.

Edited by SeaGoat

On the mk2 vrs the far bottom left fuse which is empty is an ignition live, I have my blackvue pro magic plugged into that.

the standard fuses not the mini.

8 hours ago, LGM said:

On the mk2 vrs the far bottom left fuse which is empty is an ignition live, I have my blackvue pro magic plugged into that.

the standard fuses not the mini.

Hi LGM, can you please tell me how exactly you have connected up your DashCam?

I imagine that the original lead terminated in a USB plug? Did you cut that off, strip out the live wire and connect it to the piggyback and the negative wire to Earth somewhere or did you connect up some sort of USB socket to the piggyback fuse?

I have noticed that there was a post on the Briskoda Fabia forum some while ago where someone reported a problem with interference on the radio after installing a Dual USB 12-5V converter, running off a piggyback fuse plug in a Fabia (LINK).

Incidentally, thanks for that to both of you for your replies.

My setup is a little different I'd imagine. 

I have a black magic pro wired into the fuse box which has 4 wires, a constant, a ignition, a earth then a female cigarette socket.

ebay item number 232281861523

Connected to that is my dual cigarette lighter which is stored in the right side of the dashboard (if you open the drivers door you'll see a panel that you can pop off)

eBay item number 162462339762

and my 2 dashcams are connected to that. The wires are ran up the pillar then the front goes across the roof lining and comes down just behind the rear view mirror.

The back just runs across the roof lining to the back really.

now...

before i installed the black magic pro to my dashcam setup I was getting quite a bit of interference with the radio reception, since that has been put in I get zero interference. For the sake of £30 I'd buy that too. 

The black magic pro let's you run the cameras whilst your keys are out of your ignition, you simply flick the switch and it keeps recording. Comes in handy for the when you pop into the supermarket or park up somewhere you're not familiar with.

its ****ing it down at the minute so I can't take pictures.

As for finding an earth if you pop your fuse panel cover off, there's a torx screw on the far right hand side over your obd port, mines connected to that.

Edited by LGM
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 26/07/2017 at 09:03, LGM said:

My setup is a little different I'd imagine. 

I have a black magic pro wired into the fuse box which has 4 wires, a constant, a ignition, a earth then a female cigarette socket.

ebay item number 232281861523

Connected to that is my dual cigarette lighter which is stored in the right side of the dashboard (if you open the drivers door you'll see a panel that you can pop off)

eBay item number 162462339762

and my 2 dashcams are connected to that. The wires are ran up the pillar then the front goes across the roof lining and comes down just behind the rear view mirror.

The back just runs across the roof lining to the back really.

now...

before i installed the black magic pro to my dashcam setup I was getting quite a bit of interference with the radio reception, since that has been put in I get zero interference. For the sake of £30 I'd buy that too. 

The black magic pro let's you run the cameras whilst your keys are out of your ignition, you simply flick the switch and it keeps recording. Comes in handy for the when you pop into the supermarket or park up somewhere you're not familiar with.

its ****ing it down at the minute so I can't take pictures.

As for finding an earth if you pop your fuse panel cover off, there's a torx screw on the far right hand side over your obd port, mines connected to that.

Ive got poor radio reception at the moment for some reason, not sure why, when did yours stop happening?  Be interested to see some photos of your blackview installed as I was going to get one of these as well!