New Superb DSG

Do Superb diesels come with a 7 speed DSG box now? I've seen a few adverts for my car (SE Tech 150 TDI DSG) suggesting it's got a 7 speed box....

If this is the case, do you know if it's a 'new' box... and does it have a dry or wet clutch?

Just curious.

Terry

Edited by Whaty

I've heard mixed reactions to the newer 7 speed box (i.e. the new wet clutch version) with some saying it is still a bit jittery at times.  The extra gear should be a benefit overall though with fuel economy.

Some say that DSG are a bit jittery and have been doing for a decade, and then it turns out that they are not owners or regular drivers of a DSG and sometimes Auto haters.

Journalists write about them and seem to forget they are driving media cars that another journalist drove before them, 

these are often like driving a Demonstrator or Used car, until you drive it a bit it has bad memories of the last driver.

@Superb170 It was just curiosity, I wanted to read up on it and see what the general impression of it was. A quick google search didn't really offer much, most results either pointed to Briskoda or the Kodiaq...

@Awayoffski  I've experienced this myself. Before deciding on my car I drove several demonstrators and all of them (to a greater or lesser degree) exhibited this trait, obviously it was never bad enough to put me off choosing the DSG box. I collected my car with just 10 miles on the clock and can honestly say that in 5000 miles I've never suffered the hesitance or jerkiness I experienced in those demonstrators.

I did nearly 80,000 miles in a Scirocco TDI with a wet clutch 6 speed DSG and never once experienced any hesitance or jerkiness from the gearbox.

I can only assume, as above, that demonstrators and press cars are learning the bad habits of a number of bad drivers who aren't used to driving automatics and especially DSG automatics.

I'm curious about the new 7-speed DSG as I ordered an L&K Estate 2.0 TDI 150 in early June.  I'm sure I saw it mentioned elsewhere on here that the 150 gets the new box from build week 24/25.

Although skoda.co.uk website still refers to the 6-speed box contracthireandleasing.com has the updated specs.

There is a slight improvement in quoted economy i.e. for a 2.0 TDI CR SE Technology 5dr DSG Estate -

- Urban 52.3 (51.4)

- Extra Urban 70.6 (64.2)

- Combined 62.8 (58.9)

- CO2 117 (125)

1 hour ago, mistuk72 said:

What about the 220 and 280 petrol versions? Thanks 

We have  the 6-speed wet clutch DSG in all 3 cars, but with much taller gearing in the EOS than the other two.

"Jittering" isn't a problem, they shift gear as & when you'd expect, & the paddles are there if you think your input is required.

Both of the old cars are remapped to 250 bhp & the Golf R is rated at 296 bhp, & they all cope very well with the extra power & torque.

I've driven  a Mk 7.5 Golf R with 306 bhp & the new 7-speed, it seemed to do what it was meant to do, as did a couple of 249 bhp Audi A4's

with 7-speed S-Tonics.

So far we've owned 4 DSG's & our next car will have one too...............

HTH DC

3 hours ago, mistuk72 said:

Is it just the diesel versions that are getting the 7 speed box? Probably be ordering one at the end of August. Is week 45 for the 190 7 speed the week of ordering or production?

thanks

wk45 is production for the 190 

• Thanks 1

I definitely have some jerkiness on my wet clutch 6 speed but only lower speeds in slow moving traffic however its widely reported by many.  I am used to it now and it doesn't put me off the box as its still better than most autos out there, maybe with the exception of the ZF boxes and the 9 speed auto on the new E-Class.   I'd still take the DSG over a manual now and I never thought I'd say that!!

I have 2016 year Superb with the 7 speed DSG clutch. The funny thing about the gearbox is that the fact that you encounter the jerkiness or not is really dependant on the road you are driving.

My car for example experiences jerkiness each and every day , but my friends car on the other hand (same configuration does not). The only difference being that my friend drives pretty much on the 0 degree angle (the time it takes to get the engine warm and tranmission fluids warm) and he never has had any shutters of sort. I go up a small rising every day when I drive home from work and there the jerkiness is.
Meaning all in all the gearbox is supreme, when you get it warm it is really really good. But when cold some jerks and stuff will occur. Atm I dont pay any attention to it. Went to the service multiple times with this issue. First they thought I was out of my mind. Then they felt it themselves and finally (what I already knew unfortunately) they told me that there is no fix for this problem. The car is underwarranty and thats the end of the story until something brakes down finally.

When comparing the current DSG gearbox with the older generation (2011 VW) then the only thing to say is that the newer one is super good. The older box had shutters, jerks and everything you can imagine, and sadly but truly it was normal (dealers opinion). 

So enjoy the drive, don´t overthink and don´t waste your time going to the dealers. Sadly not fixable at the moment :(.

• 7 months later...

Actually if the member that posted before you still has this issue 8 months on then they might be interested there is a recent TPI on the DQ200's from 2014/15 on, 

so that could be new clutch packs and software. 

See the DQ200 thread in the Fabia mk3 section.