My coolant/antifreeze was sitting just above the min mark so decided to top up.

i went to Halfords and was looking at the readmixes but then   without realising bought concentrate and have topped it up to just under the max line with this....without mixing.

Will this cause issues? I've read that using neat antifreeze is not good - can cause over heating and is highly corrosive, but given it was only a top up rather than whole system maybe I'm ok... any thoughts :-s

its the vRS 2.0 tsi 220

this is the coolant used as recommended by Halfords - GG40 - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=1237708&langId=-1&categoryId=255224

I've now read elsewhere that it's also not good to mix different coolant types. 

Edited by ColinD
cleaning up double posts

Buy the correct 'Anti freeze / summer coolant / rust inhibitor'  & do not just go buying by colour.   'G13'  / (VW)  is the spec you want.

What spec did you buy?

A stronger ratio is going to be better than a weak one, but if concerned test it.

You never added enough to make it 'neat;'  what did you add, less than 0.5 of a litre?

Coolant has Anti Corrosion additives to stop internal corrosion. Commonly known as rust..

Above MIN and Below MAX is where the coolant should be, as there is no 'FILL TO THE LEVEL'.  level.

If the level drops back to its happy place that is good.

If it gets too near to MIN or below, not good.

Edited by Awayoffski

Comma Xstream GG40 Antifreeze Concentrate - I used the Halfords reg entry system for recommended product. Now I've read it's not good to mix antifreeze types :-s

ive added as concentrate, not mixed.

about 1 cm - so probs less than half a litre

Edited by Beermatt

You should be using g12++ or g13. Mixing is a bad idea, there are different chemicals involved in the different brands. 

Pure G13 isn't recommended even up here, but it works; there's just a lower ability to transport heat away. I remember reading that down to around -40C it doesn't need to be pure G13. The bottle gives various dilution options. 

I would consider it to be a potential problem: you don't know *why* the comma stuff wasn't recommended by VW. It might be marketing, it might be that the rubber in the hoses doesn't get on with it well - or too well, so they perish sooner, it might be that there's no real issue.  Some coolant is better than no coolant, but I'd investigate why it was low and consider flushing the system and refilling with the right stuff at your leisure. You've added in essentially a litre in a system which probably has a volume of 5l or so... so it's quite intense. If you're going somewhere hot on a long trip, I'd get it sorted before that, because of the lower ability to transport heat. 

- Bret

• Like 1

I bought some pre mixed  G13 recently to top up my header tank to the max when cold, for safety reasons. Its easier to check the level when it's up against a line. I've done this, using  VW coolant only, with my last 3 VW group cars,  which have got identical header tanks. The level does not apparently rise or fall with engine temperature either.

Edited by gregoir

Thanks Brett

Is the comma stuff not recommended by VW/skoda? The gg40 was the one referenced by Halfords when I put in my registration hence I went with that. It does seem to be a fairly new type, only released in 2015 but according to the blurb it is approved for the whole vag group including Bentley and Lamborghini's though I do get your point about mixing. Hard not too as I don't know what brand or g no is currently in there. 

At maximum I've only put in 250ml so only about 5% if you say it's 5 litres in total, so in theory that shouldn't be too intense........

Edited by Beermatt

VAG have their own coolant. Why would they recommend something with a (UK-only) Comma brand? If 1.5l is €10.50 online and €13,90 in Motonet, why skimp?

Comma are telling you it's "effectively" the same. It's not VAG telling you that, but I'm sure there are standards somewhere - like the 504.00 or 507.01 for oils... after quite a bit of reading, it turns out that Comma GG40 seems to be BASF Glysantin G40 by another name and *that* appears to be the OE for G13. So you should be OK, but sheesh, that was a tortuous route through a bunch of websites to prove. I do not trust halfords.

For me, it turns into a simple thing here: I know what was in the engine, I don't know what will happen when I mix antifreezes, and I don't want to find out. Even my 15-year-old A2 still gets G12++. If the price difference is €3 per litre, I see no point in buying non-original. Then again, it's also got Antifreeze down to around -38C, so....

- Bret

Agreed, probs best to go directly to skoda next time. The GG40 meets Vw's TL 774-J spec. Thanks for the reassurance also. Reading up it appears G13 is backward compatible with G12 but can loose some of the anti corrosion properties if mixed. Mine should always have been G13 as a 63 plate.

Think I paid about £11 from my dealer for a 1 litre G13 concentrate.

As others have mentioned a tiny amount (relatively) for a top up won't matter if it's to the correct spec and is the same colour. Wouldn't worry about it.