No Google Street VIew?

I have the new 9.2" infotainment system but when using the sat nav with Google Earth the Street View Man is shaded out.

Is anyone else having the same problem or am I missing something?

Do you have an Internet connection for the infotainment, i.e. opt for the premium and have it's own SIM or using remote SIM Access Profile to your mobile. Or using a WiFi hotspot from your mobile.

It does need access to the Internet for this to work.

Edited by rtj70
Added more text.

The only way you connnect with the new system is via a hotspot connection on your phone but yes I have connected to the infotainment system and it's registering as such.

Google Earth works fine but the Street View man is shaded out.

Just makes me wonder if this facility has not been enabled for the UK?

If anyone has the 'premium' version then there is rSAP or an actual SIM.

I can't help more... I don't even have a build week yet :-) It's been about 5 weeks since order. I preferred the older 8" Columbus with actual buttons and controls.

There is no such thing as a premium version.   The Colombus 9.2" is the highest spec infotainment system available for the Superb.

I much prefer the larger screen and the lack of physical buttons isn't really an issue.

When I say premium I was referring to the upgrade which is £400 in the UK, namely: Premium WLAN with integrated high-speed LTE internet

The description is: Includes SIM card slot and rSAP pro le compatibility to provide high-speed LTE internet. For more information please see footnotes below. Only available in combination with Columbus satellite navigation system.

Note this option is only available with Columbus satnav. So I think you will find there is a premium version :)

• Like 1

This may be the explanation.  Google Earth on a Google Pixel C has the "Pegman" icon and when this is touched there is a pop up notification "Loading Street View"  From some time in 2015 Street View became a standalone app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.street  and MAY need to be installed.

Hi Peter,

A good thought but I have the latest IPhone and have already installed the Street View app and tried this.

I can't see that the in car system needs an app to run it as the firmware on the infotainment system only needs an internet connection to allow the Skoda connect features to work I.e. Google Earth & Street View.

Its certainly a mystery.  I just wonder if this feature is not enabled.

Is the latest Skoda system the same as this? http://volkswagen-carnet.com/gb/en/start/app-overview/guide-inform/mod_googleearth.html#tab/open/f22662e6-58b5-4e01-a31a-2fff8e80ad08 - the video makes it so simple!

Is there a download speed issue - picture cache has to fill before any display - you have to be stationary and/or 4G connection??? I had big issues with my BMW internet connections  and discovered that the mobile phone coverage on Vodafone's site showed "voice" coverage and didn't show data coverage ( 18 months ago full  voice  coverage for 20 miles up the Lune valley from Lancaster but no "3g data" coverage!!! Result: I could drive 20 miles to the M6 only to be told of severe delays when I got on the motorway). BMW have contracted with Vodafone so no choice.  Try this map https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage to see what voice/3g/4g coverage you have.

>> Is the latest Skoda system the same as this?

No because both have been updated. Like the 9.2" Columbus the top end VW version is also now 9.2" and has no physical controls. Likewise the 8.0" version replaced a 6.5" one. Just like with Skoda.

But then Skoda is merely a brand for VW Group. In the UK they are all part of VW UK for example.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same prob , picked up my sportline yesterday. Can see the wee man but hes ghosted out. What do I need to do to enable this and drag him onto the roads to show street level.

As above I have full internet and connect activated

The blurb in the brochure only state google sattelite view and not street view so it may not be enabled anyway, possibly for safety reasons.  Mucking around with street view while we are supposed to be driving.

If you have access to VCDS, check Infotainment Adaptations, these is a Street View adaptation in the list, it may work on your case. (I have old Columbus 8" and these is an adaptation which does not work in my old not network enabled car.)

• 1 year later...